Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Incident (news)

Options
  • 30-01-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

The Garda Press Office has confirmed the exact details of the incident that took place in the UCD restaurant today. After numerous attempts by CTN news reporters to gain interviews with/details from the Garda Siochana and Campus Security present, Garda Press office released the information to CTN. At 3.20pm four armed raiders on motorbikes held up a security van outside the belfield restaurant and succeded in taking a container, but no money was in the container. The two motorbikes were later recovered by the Gardai. Footage and a News Bulletin by Neasa Ni Grada and Lisa Hayden will follow on the CTN website (www.ucd.ie/campustv) as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

whoa:eek: :eek: , i didnt hear anything about this at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Everyone's okay aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Yeah. I witnessed it. Kind of surreal. Glad to hear there was no money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I suppose, it's been what - 2 years since the last armed robbery on campus?

It was due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I was walking past at that time. I didn't notice! LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

hee hee neasa ni ghrada and lisa hayden... my sister and my girlfriend... thats funny.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It hasn't been that long. The bank itself was robbed last year.

tbh, leave anything in ucd long enough and it'll get robbed. i reckon even that lake will get nicked sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Snazzy. Glad it was empty! They shoulda put like a boxing glove on the end of a compressed spring inside the safe. Then when the robbers open it up, KABLAMO!!! :D In the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

mloc wrote:
    tbh, leave anything in ucd long enough and it'll get robbed. i reckon even that lake will get nicked sooner or later.
    *pats shiny new printer*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CTN

CTN can confirm that the two motorbikes used in the raid were recovered at Roebuck Castle between the archway into the School of Law and the Wall surrounding Roebuck Castle Housing Estate. Residents in the estate were questioned by Gardai today who believed the raiders may have jumped over the wall.

I saw that actually, there was a motorbike recovery van and two gardai beside it just outside Law, was wondering what that was all about...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

jaysus, i was passin thru the restaurant at 5 and the 2 guards had the area taped off while a technical chap was examining a rucksack on the ground. Didnt know what had happened, but should have put 2 and 2 together. UCD is a favourite among the "armoured-car-hold-up" crowd.

Its like living in the wild west, except the food is worse and the local saloon is needing a few spitoons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

No way! I haven't heard anyone talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I saw it taped off too, I was wondering what happened.

Many thanks to CTN for posting.

GusherING wrote:

Yeah. I witnessed it. Kind of surreal. Glad to hear there was no money in it.

Thank God anyway hope they get caught and face Irish justice.

Chakar wrote:
    Thank God anyway hope they get caught and face Irish justice.
    I don't. They'll be out in no length.

cast_iron wrote:
    I don't. They'll be out in no length.

I believe there's a mandatory ten year sentence for possession of a gun that is not legally held.Also armed robbery is very serious you can add on a few years for that.

Someone forgot to tell the judges of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

mloc wrote:
    i reckon even that lake will get nicked sooner or later.

I've been taking a jar of water from it each day.. soon my devious plan will be complete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Why dont CTN be a TV station, not a boards.ie news station?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CTN

Video news bulletins have been uploaded to the home page of the CTN website...www.ucd.ie/campustv

CardinalJ wrote:
    That's unfair. Why shouldn't they post on hear and let us know when a big event occurs? We are UCD students, and they are giving us the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

That's unfair. Why shouldn't they post on hear and let us know when a big event occurs? We are UCD students, and they are giving us the news.

Yeh but this is the only bit of news theyve given us since launch. They havent done anything for months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

News just in! Fire engines in Merville tonight. I don't think anything serious happened as one of the girls had a fireman's helmet on and was getting someone to take a photo of her with him, but they still had people inside checking out the building at that point.

Plus, I'd told you about the Restaurant thing before CTN posted it, Minnie. You were just too busy whining about a "gum-popping american" to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

CardinalJ wrote:

I think fair play to CTN for the effort and in the first post they said where to look for the report.

When I was in Queens it was a rare week some utter git in the Elms wouldn't hit the fire alarm and bring the fire brigade. I don't know if they have the same policy in merville.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

mloc wrote:

The lake water was taken a few years ago. The poor ducks had nowhere to go. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera phone then so no pic :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

CTN wrote:
    Video news bulletins have been uploaded to the home page of the CTN website...www.ucd.ie/campustv

Cool thats the first time Ive seen a ctn broadcast. Qudos to the two presenters,they were really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The UCD campus is a security nightmare. It's a wonder there are not more attempts like this.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Cool thats the first time Ive seen a ctn broadcast. Qudos to the two presenters,they were really good.
    Hmmm...I dunno, They alternated sentences a bit too much for me. I found it so odd, I'm not sure I remember what they actually said. Also, the reports were a bit on the static side.
    Good to see some broadcasts though.

Advertisement