Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3/Discover Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The thing that always amuses me about the usual Waterford "the Dublin meeja are ignoring Waterford as a city in its own right (boy)" is this: if you, as a non-Waterford person, cross the bridge into Waterford city, you will be reminded at every opportunity that you are not a native and that you don't belong there and you will continue to be reminded of that fact till you cross the bridge on the way back out. But then the same "welcoming" people whinge about people not giving Waterford the credit for being the modern city it is. Can anyone else see the contradiction here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dilbert75 wrote:
    ...you will be reminded at every opportunity that you are not a native and that you don't belong there and you will continue to be reminded of that fact till you cross the bridge on the way back out.

I agree, and it's a phenomenon I hate among my fellow Waterfordians! (friendly slagging excluded - let's have a sense of humour)

But how are we any different from the likes of Dublin or Cork?

"Ah, jaysus buud, dem cuulchies dawent knaw how te druive, fooksayek!"

or...

"Aroo fram Cark baay? No? Den you're a langer and I'm a ligind! We bech'ee in de semi final baay!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Switching back onto the topic at hand...

Discover Ireland have updated their website to include Waterford. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully04 wrote:

Good stuff!

I wonder will it last, though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sully04 wrote:

Am I missing something or am I visiting the wrong page?:confused:

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-places-to-go/areas-and-cities/

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote:

Bastards. So TV3 decided what is and what is not a city now do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

It's a city in the list of places yet some retard didn't make the connection of putting it in the Cities and Areas section. :rolleyes:

I contacted them anyway to tell them to cop on, if we all do they'll have to listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

Ive just sent them an e-mail as well

if everybody does it I'm sure they'll listen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Freddie59 wrote:

That page is a right mess. The original link added a piece on Waterford under Kilkenny. The Areas & Cities have Waterford & Kilkeny under "South". They didnt list a few places as cities. Talk about un-organized and messy!

OK I sent an email onto Discover Ireland, as this is disapointing. We pay them enough to get our B&B listed, and they fail to mention Waterford city in places.
    This would be the second time I have had to contact you regarding your lack of knowledge of Ireland. You claim to be a website where you can "Discover Ireland" yet time and time again you fail to mention Waterford City (you know, Ireland oldest city and fifth largest city) in
    descriptions of places in Ireland (you do of course, mention the majority of other places including Kilkenny) AND to top it of you have failed to list Waterford (and other cities)
    in the drop-down box (never mind the page content, which is a complete disaster) titled
    "Places to Stay".

I think its time management and the web development team of Discover Ireland educated themselves and then reviewed the website to ensure that the websites information is as accurate as possible, and to area / city is left out from any section.

How are tourists supposed to tour Ireland, or "discover" it - if you fail to provide proper
    information?

I expect an immediate response to this, as my last contact with you went on ignored.

Regards,
    Kevin O'Sullivan

• Advertisement

Yeah, I sent an email a couple of days ago. It's basic stuff, they should get it right. It's not like we're asking for a full page advertisement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote:
    Yeah, I sent an email a couple of days ago. It's basic stuff, they should get it right. It's not like we're asking for a full page advertisement!

I presume these guys are publicly funded.. a letter to the Public Accounts Committee I think is in order to ask why is this lot wasting my hard earned tax money by not getting the basics right.....

Also a letter to Dept of Education to find out what studets are being taught in school with regards to the five cities of this State.

A couple of geography teachers should be fired for this on going fiasco

Bards wrote:
    I presume these guys are publicly funded.. a letter to the Public Accounts Committee I think is in order to ask why is this lot wasting my hard earned tax money by not getting the basics right.....

Also a letter to Dept of Education to find out what studets are being taught in school with regards to the five cities of this State.

A couple of geography teachers should be fired for this on going fiasco

I don't think geography is an option in Dublin schools. :D (Withdrawn due to lack of interest. :rolleyes: )

Some good ideas there though.

I received a response; here is the text:

"Thank you for your email.

It would appear that your main concern is that waterford is not on all
    our maps. TV3 uses a variety of maps with a variety of urban populations
    marked. It is not practical for all maps to have all urban populations
    on them.
    "

I replied, pointing out to them that Waterford is not just an arbitrary urban population, but one of the 5 major cities in the state. Probably news to them.

Are there any TV3 shareholders from Kilkenny by any chance?

merlante wrote:
    I received a response; here is the text:

"Thank you for your email.

It would appear that your main concern is that waterford is not on all
    our maps. TV3 uses a variety of maps with a variety of urban populations
    marked. It is not practical for all maps to have all urban populations
    on them.
    "

I replied, pointing out to them that Waterford is not just an arbitrary urban population, but one of the 5 major cities in the state. Probably news to them.

Update on DiscoverIreland.com They've now included Waterford on the following link:

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/experience-ireland/city-breaks-experience/

but not on this one:

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-places-to-go/

Is anyone working there checking the continuity of their content at all?

It should possibly be called www.discoverirelandexceptwaterford.com

Freddie59 wrote:
    Update on DiscoverIreland.com They've now included Waterford on the following link:

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/experience-ireland/city-breaks-experience/

but not on this one:

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-places-to-go/

Is anyone working there checking the continuity of their content at all?

It should possibly be called www.discoverirelandexceptwaterford.com

Waterford is not in the drop-down menu on the first link.

It's a complete joke.

They've obviously been caught out badly. They're designed the whole site on the basis that Waterford doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any other cities?

Don't they know? :rolleyes:

Mike.

I just viewed the weather on TV3 with the intention of writing to the main sponsor.. But guess who spopsors TV3 weather

yep the most evil Kilkenny company, Avonmore... no doubt the conspiracy theorists will say that this is their handywork

Avonmore have shut down all the waterford foods companies except for Snowcream which I believe is next to face the axe and moved them to their production facilities in Kilkenny..

it might be just co-incidence.. but I doubt it somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

So its not just Dublin that's out to get Waterford, its also Kilkenny....

Maybe I'm being uncharitable to ye Blaas - after all, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Dilbert75 wrote:
    So its not just Dublin that's out to get Waterford, its also Kilkenny....

Maybe I'm being uncharitable to ye Blaas - after all, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.

Hey this is the Waterford Forum.. get back over that bridge to the Kilkenny Forum.. you Troll:D

• Advertisement

I think it would be great if WLR gave them a ring and asked them what they're at.

The only other thing I can think of is getting the address off the website, going up there, and putting a few bricks through a few windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

Somebody would want to get onto the td john deasy

seen as he is married to yer one from tv3 maura derrand

derdoh wrote:

Nah... he'd be demanding Dungarvan be placed on the map instead

derdoh wrote:

You know, that might not be such a bad idea. :)

merlante wrote:
    You know, that might not be such a bad idea. :)

Anything is fair game! This is a redirect from [url]www.discoverireland.com:[/url]

www.tourismireland.com

Look at the list of cities - AGAIN -I have to say (even though it does sound paranoid) that something concerted is afoot.:mad: (just look under the heading "Welcome To Tourism Ireland")

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:

your a paranoid bunch you know that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I received a reply from the Discover Ireland crowd, this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Tourism Ireland.

Its true that Waterford city is not listed in the areas and cities section of our site. Its a massively popular destination and information on the city and its attractions can be found on our site at the link below.

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/search/?q=waterford+city
    We also use the regional tourism site at www.southeastireland.com as a resource to help overseas visitors.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to contact us by visiting our website http://www.discoverireland.com and simply clicking the Contact Us button.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Best Regards

I don't see how stating the obvious is an answer to the question of why Waterford City isn't in the Areas & Cites section.

I sent this back, hopefully they'll understand this time! :rolleyes:

I am aware that Waterford City is in the drop down menu, but it is the only one of the five recognised cities in the republic that is not in the Areas & Cities section, how are tourists to know that there are five main cities in the republic when you fail to list them all under the Areas & Cities section. It also leaves Waterford City at a disadvantage in relation to the other cities which are all listed seperately in this section. Whereas Waterford City is just placed in the South area. I would hope that as a site representing our country you would reseach this correctly and place Waterford City where it belongs, right along side the other four main cities listed in you Areas & Cities section. It is very straightforward, the section is named Areas & Cities, yet it is inaccurate and will remain so until Waterford City is included on that list.

Yours,

I have to say, that response you got was completely retarded. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just taking the piss.

Cabaal wrote:
    your a paranoid bunch you know that.....

Not paranoid. Realists..........who are very proud of our City's heritage and its standing both locally and internationally.

• Advertisement

Ill give them a call during the week and get proper answers.

Advertisement