Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3/Discover Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote:
    Not paranoid. Realists..........who are very proud of our City's heritage and its standing both locally and internationally.

yes and thats great and all but your awful paranoid to think that Kilkenny is out to get you and wipe any mention of your county off the map :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The BCI (broadcasting regulator) are offering a new radio station licence to cover 'cities'.

The station will be an adult format.

Guess which city they've decided this station won't cover? Yep you guessed it.

Maybe some of you could email the BCI and ask why?

Cheers,

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

alinton wrote:
    The BCI (broadcasting regulator) are offering a new radio station licence to cover 'cities'.

Cheers,

A.

Oh Christ. Just when you think you are making progress! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

alinton wrote:

Cheers,

A.

Thanks for that A. Could you please elaborate, maybe with a link?:confused:

Cabaal wrote:
    yes and thats great and all but your awful paranoid to think that Kilkenny is out to get you and wipe any mention of your county off the map :rolleyes:

In fairness I've avoided this Waterford v Kilkenny ****e throughout this post, but it's worth remembering that it was you who dragged it up initially in #2 of this thread, albeit lightheartedly;)

"I don't watch TV3 myself but I'm happy as long as Kilkenny is on it "

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    Ill give them a call during the week and get proper answers.

Good man! I can't wait to hear what bull**** they try to feed you. It could well make a difference though.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Thanks for that A. Could you please elaborate, maybe with a link?:confused:

Well the BCI's website is www.bci.ie - its a bit difficult to navigate though.

They havn't actually advertised the 'Cities' licence yet, but as I'm in the business I've had prior notification that they're going to.

If you search the site enough you might find something about the 'Cities' licence though, maybe in a press release.

But take it from me, the plan does NOT include Waterford.

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just trawled that fairly badly designed site and could find nothing.

Even RadioWaves has nothing unless its in the private forum.

Here's an interesting dead blog link going back a few months.
    http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch?q=BCI%20cities&sa=N&tab=gb
    scroll down 5 links

Mike.

Believe me, its true! I'll try to find documentary evidence in work tomorrow.

Andy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote:
    In fairness I've avoided this Waterford v Kilkenny ****e throughout this post, but it's worth remembering that it was you who dragged it up initially in #2 of this thread, albeit lightheartedly;)

"I don't watch TV3 myself but I'm happy as long as Kilkenny is on it "

It was meant as a very lighthearted remark, hence the ;)

I guess Waterford people would be happy if Waterford was on it even if they didn't want TV3, I';ve no problem with you trying to get listed on it.

Infact good luck on it, hope you get it all sorted in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote:
    I just viewed the weather on TV3 with the intention of writing to the main sponsor.. But guess who spopsors TV3 weather

yep the most evil Kilkenny company, Avonmore... no doubt the conspiracy theorists will say that this is their handywork

Avonmore have shut down all the waterford foods companies except for Snowcream which I believe is next to face the axe and moved them to their production facilities in Kilkenny..

it might be just co-incidence.. but I doubt it somehow

But Glanbia a large multinational company, they make business decisions based on the bottom line not county loyalties! I've worked closely with them in the past and they are scale driven, that's why they have closed plants Co. Waterford and re-centred processing to Ballyragget. The net gain for jobs in Co. KK has been zilch from the Waterford-Avonmore merger/ takeover.
    In fact where as the Ballyragget plant once employed 600/700 people it now ploys about 350/400; they have become so automated that they dont need all those workers.
    As for Snowcream, they process liquid milk; no Glanbia plant in KK does this, it's all done at Ballitore Co. Kildare. If they close Snowcream (which I hope they don't btw) production would most likely move to Kildare, not KK...

mfitzy wrote:
    But Glanbia a large multinational company, they make business decisions based on the bottom line not county loyalties! I've worked closely with them in the past and they are scale driven, that's why they have closed plants Co. Waterford and re-centred processing to Ballyragget. The net gain for jobs in Co. KK has been zilch from the Waterford-Avonmore merger/ takeover.
    In fact where as the Ballyragget plant once employed 600/700 people it now ploys about 350/400; they have become so automated that they dont need all those workers.
    As for Snowcream, they process liquid milk; no Glanbia plant in KK does this, it's all done at Ballitore Co. Kildare. If they close Snowcream (which I hope they don't btw) production would most likely move to Kildare, not KK...

I remember Waterford Foods being a case study of a Co-Op that we did in school. Co-Ops seem like a great idea in general. It was a pity they allowed themselves to get bought out, which is basically what the 'merger' was. All the shareholders, which presumably were local farmers, have accomplished is making their own lives harder.

I hope snowcream survives as well, it was such a constant thing when I was growing up that I assumed that everyone in Ireland had a carton of snowcream milk in the fridge. :) There is something wholesome about consuming products that are produced locally on the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote:
    I remember Waterford Foods being a case study of a Co-Op that we did in school. Co-Ops seem like a great idea in general. It was a pity they allowed themselves to get bought out, which is basically what the 'merger' was. All the shareholders, which presumably were local farmers, have accomplished is making their own lives harder.

I hope snowcream survives as well, it was such a constant thing when I was growing up that I assumed that everyone in Ireland had a carton of snowcream milk in the fridge. :) There is something wholesome about consuming products that are produced locally on the land.

however.. I am led to believe that Snowcream is only availble locally and that the Avonmore brand is available nationwide, even though Snowcream used to be available nationwide before the merger/takeover.

anyway we are digressing from the thread

Update on this:

I am attempting to get the name, e-mail, and postal address of the CEO or MD of this discoverireland lot. If I have any luck I'll let everyone know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Bards wrote:
    Hey this is the Waterford Forum.. get back over that bridge to the Kilkenny Forum.. you Troll:D

Not a troll, just perpetually amused at the Waterford state of mind. Maybe the word is out - "Waterford is a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village". I was told that when I started working in the place and never a truer word was spoken.

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Not a troll, just perpetually amused at the Waterford state of mind. Maybe the word is out - "Waterford is a town that thinks its a city but acts like a village". I was told that when I started working in the place and never a truer word was spoken.

you're getting confused with Galway:D

Dilbert if you'd been oppressed as Waterford has been for the last 800 seasons by the Free State government you'd understand! :D;):p

Mike.

Dilbert75 wrote:

Waterford is a city that other people think is X, Y or Z.

Still the way many of the locals behave, there is a lot of truth to the above statement. That does not mean, however, that Waterford does not have the size or the function of an Irish city.

merlante wrote:
    Waterford is a city that other people think is X, Y or Z.

Still the way many of the locals behave, there is a lot of truth to the above statement. That does not mean, however, that Waterford does not have the size or the function of an Irish city.

Well all I can say is that it's the OLDEST City in Ireland - pre dating even Dublin. I think that, at the very least, deserves some respect and recognition.

Other countries revel in their oldest heritage. For some reason our City appears to be frowned upon in Ireland for whatever reason.

http://www.waterfordtourism.org/waterford-city.htm (even though Waterford Tourism have yet to realise we're being ignored on the www.discoverireland website)

http://www.upthedeise.org/www.upthedeise.com/utd2005/waterford-tourism-and-history/oldest-city-in-ireland.htm

http://waterford.goireland.com/scripts/low/xq/asp/areatype.c/areaid.195/qx/area.htm

Waterford Today published a letter from someone who uses a certain Waterford message board on this topic.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Waterford Today published a letter from someone who uses a certain Waterford message board on this topic.

Mike.

You'd think someone could just make a phone call and get it sorted.

Said letter

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well fair play to him Mike! Good stuff!:D

merlante wrote:
    You'd think someone could just make a phone call and get it sorted.

Unfortunately that is not possible with most things related to Waterford City Merlante. It takes more effort than that for some reason.:mad:

Freddie59 wrote:
    Unfortunately that is not possible with most things related to Waterford City Merlante. It takes more effort than that for some reason.:mad:

John Deasy might be the man to get this sorted. I hear he's like a dog with a bone on all sorts of issues.

merlante wrote:
    John Deasy might be the man to get this sorted. I hear he's like a dog with a bone on all sorts of issues.

www.tourismireland.com have now added Waterford City (along with Klilkenny Town:confused: ) on the home page. No change on www.discoverireland.com

Freddie59 wrote:
    www.tourismireland.com have now added Waterford City (along with Klilkenny Town:confused: ) on the home page. No change on www.discoverireland.com

And in a list of cities ordered by size, the order suddenly switches to 'alphabetic' as soon as it gets to Kilkenny and Waterford!

It would make you wonder. Not all of these slights could be imagined.

Yes... I agree... according to the Irish examiner Today... the new Bus Tram that was unveiled in Waterford on Monday (wher it will be piloted) didn't get a mention... but when it arrived in Cork yesterday they have a story about it and go on to say that it will be in Limerick and Galway over the next few days... no mention of Waterford at all... surprise surprise

Bards wrote:
    Yes... I agree... according to the Irish examiner Today... the new Bus Tram that was unveiled in Waterford on Monday (wher it will be piloted) didn't get a mention... but when it arrived in Cork yesterday they have a story about it and go on to say that it will be in Limerick and Galway over the next few days... no mention of Waterford at all... surprise surprise

That's a disgrace. Definitely grounds for a letter into the Examiner. What the hell are they playing at? I mean I'd expect that from the Irish Times, but I don't know what the Examiner is at.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    That's a disgrace. Definitely grounds for a letter into the Examiner. What the hell are they playing at? I mean I'd expect that from the Irish Times, but I don't know what the Examiner is at.

Interesting facts from this therad :http://www.upthedeise.org/waterfordmessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=9836&start=75

from www.upthedeise.com :

According to the Local Governments Act (2001) there are only five incorporated cities in the republic of Ireland i.e. Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford. According to the CSO Waterford admittedly has the smallest population (45,775), with Limerick marginally bigger (52,560), then Galway (71,983), Cork (119,163) and finally Dublin (505,739). Unfortunately for Waterford and Limerick much of the city’s residents live in their respective neighbouring counties, which makes Galway seem marginally bigger in comparison. These five cities are significantly bigger than other major towns such as Wexford, Kilkenny, Sligo, Dundalk which have what are called borough councils and are not incorporated cities.

It has been pointed out to Tourism Ireland by several members of upthedeise.com that they have ignored only one Irish city, Waterford City. They have said that their reasoning for doing so was that they would have to include other smaller cities too if they included Waterford. It was then pointed out to them that, according to law, there are only 5 cities in Ireland and hence Waterford City was the only actual city that they ignored.

So far they have not specified whether or not they are going to rectify their mistake,

I cannot understand why an organisation, with Ireland’s best interests at heart, could purposely ignore and discriminate against our city like this.

May I again suggest that if anyone wants to complain send emails to: contact.us@tourismireland.com

Advertisement