Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3/Discover Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

examiner story

I saw said bus heading towards Cork on Monday afternoon on the N25 at Kilmacthomas. As for expecting the Examiner to be better than Irish Times, why? They may not have "Cork" in the mast head but thats its focus still.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mike65 wrote:
    examiner story

I saw said bus heading towards Cork on Monday afternoon on the N25 at Kilmacthomas. As for expecting the Examiner to be better than Irish Times, why? They may not have "Cork" in the mast head but thats its focus still.

Mike.

Fair enough, but I hadn't thought there was a Galway/Limerick versus Waterford bias in the Cork paper. The Irish Times is only vaguely aware of anything outside of Dublin so I expect mistakes/omissions from them.

In fairness, just reading the article there, Limerick and Galway are only mentioned as an afterthought because it is where the bus tram is going next. Maybe if it had already hit Limerick, they mightn't have mentioned it either.

An incomplete story about the bus tram nonetheless.

Its nothing to do with Limerick/Galway its about Cork ignoring thier neighbours!

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OK guys sorry for the delay in getting back, I have been fairly sick with the flu and have only managed to make that phone call now. Im here with some good news anyway.

Firstly; I mentioned the fact that myself and others had contacted DiscoverIreland many times and have either failed to get any reply at all - or have been just given a simple "we are aware of it" type email (as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread). An appologie was issued by the representive I spoke to (a Max Caschera) who suggested it may be to the very large number of emails they are getting - but still finds it strange (I sent an email on January 30th, and never received a reply. I sent earlier ones also).

Secondly; They not only have been made aware of this from the Irish general public and also members of Tourism boards (such as B&B owners) but apparently several Americans have queried the fact that Waterford is left out - claiming they have visited it and loved it. Max has claimed that he himself has visited Waterford and over the phone to callers has recommended it.

Thirdly; As regards to Waterford City not being mentioned. They are fully aware of this, and discussions are underway with their Web Development team to do updates to their site to include more information on Waterford - but he himself had no idea when this might be done, as they are trying to update others areas of the site also. However, he has took my telephone number and two email addresses belonging to me and will try find out for me.
    I have requested he inform the appropriate staff members to get even a temporary page mentioning Waterford. For example, a link in "Areas & Cities" to Waterford would go to a page mentioning briefly Waterford but stating the fact work is being done to update the page.
    (Basicaly, its work in progess from what I can tell)

Fourthly; As you are aware by now, they have recieved a large volume of complaints and have assured me that the site will be updated to include waterford - no questions about it. Its just a matter of when, and this is being discussed with the higher authorites as a matter of urgency. My call will be brought up with them to remind them but also to get some answers for me.

And finaly, as they will be adding more information on Waterford - they have opened their doors to any suggestions from the general public (I mentioned posts here, and quoted some) and would love to hear from people about what they would like to see added etc. So feel free to email them (Id recommend it actually) with your suggestions and areas where Waterford needs mentioning.

To conclude, it seems to me that DiscoverIreland are fully aware how annoyed people are and will meet the peoples demands. They are open to any suggestions from people on how to improve, or what to add - which is a good sign. They have been made aware of the volume of complaints on this site, but also others around Ireland and international people who have visited Waterford.

You all have put pressure on them, and I added to it by informing them that as a member of a Tourist Body who pays sites such as Discover Ireland, Tourism Ireland and Town & Country homes - I am certinaly not happy and very disapointed.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion and we will soon see Waterford City being mentioned on their site. Bare in mind, dont expect immediate changes - they have to ask their Web Developers to do the work when they concluded what they want done, and have to wait for them to do their work and update the site. This may take some time, but hopefully I will be contacted (requested someone in management) with updates.

Hope that helps lads.

• Advertisement

Sully04, you're a legend. :)

I am living in Germany at the moment and I work in a hostel, and therefore meet a *lot* of people passing through that have been to Ireland. Very few of them go to Waterford because they are not aware of it.

I often suggest Waterford as a place people should visit, but then I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I mean if they go there and the local Bord Fáilte is not as informative/well set up, or they wonder why the tourism website and literature doesn't mention Waterford, and all the other tourists they meet look at them quizically when they mention they've been to Waterford and point out that because they went there instead they missed out on many of the 'best places', then they might reckon I gave them dodgy advice. (Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a backpacker hostel in Waterford either.)

So I am put in a difficult position recommending Waterford, because tourism needs to be supported on the ground, no matter how great a place might be, and I have seen no evidence that tourism in Waterford is given anything like the support it gets in Kerry or Galway, or even Cork or Kilkenny.

The likes of Discover Ireland definitely haven't helped with this, although the guidebooks have done Waterford a lot of harm as well. As an aside, I think that Kilkenny and Waterford and maybe Wexford should work together to create a tourist package, because tourists usually head to Cork with the intention of taking in Kerry and then heading up to Galway. Waterford or Kilkenny alone is unlikely to be enough to sway them from this path.

The power of internet-based community shown again. I have this vague idea that the South East was already meant to be marketed as a whole rather than bits looking after themselves - this may be going back some years. Perhaps they lost the will and let it die.

edit here it is http://www.southeastireland.com/

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Good man yerself Sully04. :)

Glad to hear all that emailing didn't go to waste and they are going to sort it. :)

That site for the South East looks good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Very difficult foe TV3 to do an accurate weatherforecast for Waterford anyway... Dunmore E has its own weather pattern! A friend who spends his summers in his moblie home there often rings to invite me for a barbacue as the weather's so good.....and its p***ing down in the city!:D

The coast is a different country! I live near the ORR and looking south some days you can just see the bright sky over Tramore while under grey here...:(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From Munster Express
    ===================

After half a century, Kilkenny city is to lose its famous meteorological station. The station has been collecting data since 1957 but the once open site on Dunningstown Road is now completely surrounded on three sides by new houses. A spokesperson for Met Eireann said the weather station was no longer representative of the wide river valleys in the region it was supposed to represent and for which it was designed and, for that reason, the facility was being moved to the Oakpark Teagasc Centre in Carlow. At present, Met officers in Kilkenny also provide daily records of visibility, cloud formation and current weather but all that will be automated after the move up the road to Carlow.

For the record, the highest air temperature ever recorded at the Kilkenny station was 31.5 degrees Celsius on June 29th., 1976, and the lowest ground temperature was minus 18.1 degrees Celsius on January 12th., 1979. The warmest and sunniest month on record at Kilkenny was August 1995 with a total of 274.9 hours of sunshine and very high temperatures throughout. After our wet and windy winter, a couple of those summer months would be very welcome this year.
    ==========================================
    Does this mean that Carlow will be on TV3's map from now on instead ok Kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bards wrote:
    Does this mean that Carlow will be on TV3's map from now on instead ok Kilkenny?

More than likely Bards. On the TV3 statement that Waterford is included on 50% of it's maps - why are Dublin, Limerick, Cork, and Galway included 100% of the time?

Freddie59 wrote:
    More than likely Bards. On the TV3 statement that Waterford is included on 50% of it's maps - why are Dublin, Limerick, Cork, and Galway included 100% of the time?

Because they're lying when they say it's not done by urban population and they are yet another crowd that are unaware/don't care that Waterford is Ireland's fifth city! :mad:

Interesting that, about the Kilkenny station. Still it doesn't matter where the station is, the fact is they can extrapolate the weather for Waterford anyway from the Rosslare and Kilkenny/Carlow ones.

And yeah, something is rotten in what TV3 are up to. If I was in Ireland, I would have figured it out by now. :)

merlante wrote:
    Interesting that, about the Kilkenny station. Still it doesn't matter where the station is, the fact is they can extrapolate the weather for Waterford anyway from the Rosslare and Kilkenny/Carlow ones.

And yeah, something is rotten in what TV3 are up to. If I was in Ireland, I would have figured it out by now. :)

Was looking at City TV last night - and they're no TV3:eek: Guess what? They DO include Waterford - on EVERY weather report.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Was looking at City TV last night - and they're no TV3:eek: Guess what? They DO include Waterford - on EVERY weather report.

could be the fact they only broadcast in Waterford, Galway & Dublin via NTL Cable.. so no point in promoting other cities

Excellent, about fecking time! :)

It's great to see Waterford people starting to complain and make things happen. Less of the whole 'typical, Waterford shafted again as always' and more of the 'lets get it sorted' attitude to what is needed and what will sort out our problems. :)

Well done everyone, give yourselves a pat on the back. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

:cool:

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    It's great to see Waterford people starting to complain and make things happen. Less of the whole 'typical, Waterford shafted again as always' and more of the 'lets get it sorted' attitude to what is needed and what will sort out our problems. :)

Well done everyone, give yourselves a pat on the back. ;)

Well, Merlante, here we go again. Only it's RTE this time.:mad:

http://upthedeise.com/waterfordmessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=50&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I saw that and knew someone somewhere in the Deise would post about it!

The nonsense is that Limerick and Galway have exactly the same weather, Waterfords is quite different (I'm in Limerick every week and reminded of the fact, it rains a lot more over there).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/michaelcaine1/RTE.jpg

Mike.

Freddie59 wrote:

Never thought they'd turn on us. Time to come down on them like a ton of bricks I think.

Check out Waterford Today Page 3.

Mike.

Even Better. Check out Waterford News & Star - Front Page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

mike65 wrote:
    Check out Waterford Today Page 3.

Mike.
    Woooo, topless wans?

Roen wrote:
    Woooo, topless wans?

No - a bottomless Cian Foley.:D It's good to see something moving about it though. Bad enough TV3 are the way they are - but RTE?:confused:

Just sent them this e-mail

===================================

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to my letter of February 2nd Last I still have not received a reply from you. In relation to this ongoing saga I have noted that I am not the only one who is fed up with media companies ignoring the fact that Waterford City is the Regional Capital and Gateway of the South East Region.

This news story has even manged to make it to the front page of this weeks "Waterford News & Star"

Again, I urge you to reconsider your viewpoint before many more unhappy Urbs Intacta inhabitants are forced to write to complain about the unequal treatment of our City by your Station

Trusting that this will be rectified once and for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Bards wrote:
    Just sent them this e-mail

What is the e-mails address?

• Advertisement

Advertisement