Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3/Discover Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Bards wrote:

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

An article has been written about this in today's Irish Independent. At least the campaign is getting some national coverage at last.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Link?

Also, the Daily Irish Mail excluded Waterford from there "City" weather reports for Ireland yesterday. Waterford was listed today, even on there map though. Ill monitor it and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

heres the article in full
    A WATERFORD man is brewing up a storm because his beloved 'Deise' is not on the TV3 overhead weather map.

But the television channel thinks it's all just a storm in a teacup.

Cian Foley, who runs the popular upthedeise.com website, is enraged that Ireland's fifth and smallest city is left off the station's daily weather map.

And he has literally been showering Martin King and his superiors with emails to get it changed.

Hard-working Cian, who is also the author of a book entitled 'The Déise Dictionary of Waterford Slang', said he had contacted RTE with the same gripe and they had promised to put it to the board at the next meeting.

The controversy surrounds TV3's daily weather reports, which feature Ireland's other four cities - Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick - on the overhead map.

Meanwhile, surrounding counties such as Tipperary, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford are placed on the map but Waterford is nowhere to be seen.

"If they are putting the other four cities up and leaving out one that says a lot. I don't know why this is. Are we a forgotten city?" he said.

For some reason people associate Waterford with being a town.

According to figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) for 2006, the population of Waterford City is 45,748 compared with Galway and Limerick at 72,414 and 52,539 respectively.

"But according to the Local Government Act 2001, it is a city because it incorporates its own city council," he added.

But counties such as Carlow, with 50,349 inhabitants - less than half that of Waterford City and County (107,961) - are placed on the map while Waterford is omitted.

Cian said he had already managed to get Discover Ireland and Daft.ie to upgrade Waterford to city status on their websites.

He is getting enormous support from his fellow Waterfordians on his website and added that this will help put the pressure on the TV station.

"I'm not asking too much for Waterford to be put on the TV3 overhead map. This is damaging from a tourist point of view."

TV3 publicity manager, Deirdre Walsh, yesterday said: "We use a total of six maps and Waterford is on four of them.

"Waterford is not treated any differently than anywhere else.

"We follow normal international practice regarding weather maps," added Ms Walsh.

But Cian said this was not good enough.

"Waterford is shown on the random maps but not the overhead map, which is shown at the start and end of the weather reports . . . This never changes."

Mike.

• Advertisement

It's amazing the longer this goes on how we are discovering that many organisations are overlooking Waterford City. Is there some kind of stigma applied to us because we are a non-University City, and therefore regarded as some kind of small town? It really is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Freddie59 wrote:
    It's amazing the longer this goes on how we are discovering that many organisations are overlooking Waterford City. Is there some kind of stigma applied to us because we are a non-University City, and therefore regarded as some kind of small town? It really is bizarre.

Not really, the attitude is if it was a city there'd be a university there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's an article in today's Sunday Independent that Met Eireann are going to close some of their stations. I didn't read the article yet but I think Kilkenny is one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Good to hear this topic getting discussed on The Ray D'Arcy Show

deisemum wrote:
    Good to hear this topic getting discussed on The Ray D'Arcy Show

Indeed. The usual negativity from Kilkenny contributors though. Well done to Cian Foley for publicising this.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I missed it but I hear Ray was backing up Waterford when the Killkenny folk were insulted to hear they were not in fact, a city.

I think its safe to say that Discover Ireland have got in touch with reality, and have added Waterford across their site as they should have.

Congrats to all who put time and effort into getting them to act. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Freddie59 wrote:
    Indeed. The usual negativity from Kilkenny contributors though. Well done to Cian Foley for publicising this.:)

This issue has nothing to do with KK imo. City or not. Just because TV3 or RTE mention us over WD is not our fault.
    BTW I do think too Waterford should be of course included; I'm not that petty minded.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote:
    This issue has nothing to do with KK imo. City or not. Just because TV3 or RTE mention us over WD is not our fault.
    BTW I do think too Waterford should be of course included; I'm not that petty minded.

I couldn't agree more, it seems unfortunately that some people in Waterford like to throw Kilkenny into any problem they come across and as such turning it into a conspiracy theory

Its sad really....

mfitzy wrote:

Likewise. But Waterfordians weren't the ones sending the petty text messages.;) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sorry I'm only after coming to this thread now, but I always thought Kilkenny is not officially a city . Is it?

No, Kilkenny is NOT a city - officaly.

So why does it say Kilkenny city on the kilkenny forum??

By the way I am not anti kilkenny in any way at all ( aside from the odd bit of sporting begrudgery when big games are on the horizon) , Im just wondering why kilkenny is being put down as a city.

Good point. Not to sure why thats there. Wexford isnt a city either.

Its Galway, Limerick, Dublin, Waterford, Cork. (See: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen962001a.html)

Killkenny is listed as a "County" as is Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I thought it went on the cathedral, if a place has one it's a city, if it doesn't it's not. God knows where that leaves Armagh, it has two....

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    Good point. Not to sure why thats there. Wexford isnt a city either.

Its Galway, Limerick, Dublin, Waterford, Cork. (See: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen962001a.html)

Killkenny is listed as a "County" as is Wexford.

Yeah exactly, although the Wexford forum is not called Wexford City , so thats ok.

As far as I know City satus was originally given by the english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Maybe Merlante can shed some light on this and remind us all the pain he went through to get a Waterford City Forum:D

Bards wrote:
    Maybe Merlante can shed some light on this and remind us all the pain he went through to get a Waterford City Forum:D

Ah, there's probably no need to get into all that again. ;)

Kilkenny is no longer a city by any sane interpretation of the Local Government Act 2001, however, you won't find anyone in the government who will every outright say that Kilkenny is not a city. For all intents and purposes it isin't, except the intent and the purpose to confuse and muddy the whole question of what is a city and what isin't.

Still the current functional cities are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Hopefully this topic will end here and not rage on for days and days as it usually does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

merlante wrote:

Hopefully this topic will end here and not rage on for days and days as it usually does...

Dream on :D

merlante wrote:
    Ah, there's probably no need to get into all that again. ;)

Kilkenny is no longer a city by any sane interpretation of the Local Government Act 2001, however, you won't find anyone in the government who will every outright say that Kilkenny is not a city. For all intents and purposes it isin't, except the intent and the purpose to confuse and muddy the whole question of what is a city and what isin't.

Still the current functional cities are Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

The boys here seem to disagree:- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055078193

Sully wrote:

Just go to the Local Government Act 2001 and take a look yourself. I wouldn't be bothered arguing with people that think that a James 1st charter carries more weight that Local Government Acts of the Irish *Republic*.

I am pretty sure that the Local Government Acts directly supercede all city charters and city/town acts in any case.

Kilkenny has a borough council, whereas the five cities, as defined by the Local Government Act 2001, have city councils. The Act says names the usual 5 cities as 'cities' but has a clause that says that the use of the term 'Kilkenny city' is permitted so long as it does not conflict with the act. To any rational mind that means that Kilkenny is not a city but may refer to itself as 'Kilkenny city'. Similarly, although the act abolishes the title of 'Lord Mayor', the mayors of Dublin and Cork are still permitted to refer to their mayors as 'lord mayor'. In general, when the act dissolves some institution, usage of the historic terminology is usually permitted.

I once sent an email to the department of the Environment asking them about all this and they told me that the cities of Ireland were the usual five, from a local government point of view, and as to Kilkenny's city status, they said that there is nothing on the statute books that deals with city status separate from the local government designation.

So officaly, the link I supplied is correct. Unofficaly, Killkenny isnt a city but is allowed call itself that anyway. Any particular reason?!

Sully wrote:
    So officaly, the link I supplied is correct. Unofficaly, Killkenny isnt a city but is allowed call itself that anyway. Any particular reason?!

You have that the wrong way around: officially, Killkenny isn't a city but is allowed to call itself a city anyway, unofficially nobody in Dublin cares and Kilkenny can say whatever they like.

If you read my post and looked at the local government act you would appreciate the subtleties of the question.

It doesn't matter anyway, Kilkenny does not have the population or the status as a regional capital or the airport, IT/university, port, etc., that the other cities have. It is not being planned as a city, or gateway, either in any government strategy.

Kilkenny gets more attention and good will than many other towns of its size and larger, so it has no cause for complaint, it's just a fact of life that it is no longer one of the main urban centres. Waterford is the oldest city and was the second city for 500 years, but that's in the past, no point crying over spilled milk. Times change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

merlante wrote:
    It doesn't matter anyway, Kilkenny does not have the population or the status as a regional capital or the airport, IT/university, port, etc., that the other cities have.

I thought Kilkenny had 2 ports, Belview and New Ross?

Pedantic Pat

• Advertisement

I thought new ross was in wexford?

Advertisement