Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3/Discover Ireland

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

merlante wrote:
    Indeed, although it is a national road, we all know in this country that unless the council/constituency/local politicians push for an upgrade of a road it will never happen. Evidently there wasn't much pushing from Kilkenny for the N9. If the N9 went through Waterford, as the N25 does, I'm sure it would have been taken care of a long time ago.

In any case, these times are behind us. I dare say that Waterford won't care as long things go smoothly with Kilkenny from here on in.

I don't know how much you know about the recent history of the N9 but anyway there have been several previous attempts to get manystretechs upgraded in the 1990s. There were elaborate plans for the thomastown bypass and a major realignment around Mullinavat. Also in 1993, the county council pleaded for 60 million punts for the route. To no avail.

In 2000, when the Waterford-Dublin route was announced under the NDP it very nearly went via the N11 for some bizzare reason. Members of the kilkenny coco lobbies extensively to have it go via the N9. Waterford thankfully fully supported this move, seeing a central corridor as far more beneficial than a just a road through Wexford and Wicklow.
    The N25 is a euro-route far is I know and qualified for greater EU Structural funds.That road through county KK also was upgraded far as I know at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

mfitzy wrote:
    I don't know how much you know about the recent history of the N9 but anyway there have been several previous attempts to get manystretechs upgraded in the 1990s. There were elaborate plans for the thomastown bypass and a major realignment around Mullinavat. Also in 1993, the county council pleaded for 60 million punts for the route. To no avail.

In 2000, when the Waterford-Dublin route was announced under the NDP it very nearly went via the N11 for some bizzare reason. Members of the kilkenny coco lobbies extensively to have it go via the N9. Waterford thankfully fully supported this move, seeing a central corridor as far more beneficial than a just a road through Wexford and Wicklow.
    The N25 is a euro-route far is I know and qualified for greater EU Structural funds.That road through county KK also was upgraded far as I know at the same time.

There is serious buck passing going on here. How come Kilkenny County Council were clearly able to secure funding for the N9 from Paulstown up and improve the road, but the N9 from Paulstown down to Waterford city was never touched. Mfitzy you can quote road-funding attempts all day but the N9 from Paulstown down in particular shouts of purposeful neglect. This section of the N9 is in Kilkenny under the care of Kilkenny County Council, so responsibility for its condition is ultimately in their hands.

There is serious buck passing going on here. How come Kilkenny County Council were clearly able to secure funding for the N9 from Paulstown up and improve the road, but the N9 from Paulstown down to Waterford city was never touched. Mfitzy you can quote road-funding attempts all day but the N9 from Paulstown down in particular shouts of purposeful neglect. This section of the N9 is in Kilkenny under the care of Kilkenny County Council, so responsibility for its condition is ultimately in their hands.

Lets just agree to differ on this one. The MAIN thing is now we have a top class road now under construction through KK to Waterford. We must persist now to ensure it is fully finished and not stopped by the Greens or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

mfitzy wrote:
    Lets just agree to differ on this one. The MAIN thing is now we have a top class road now under construction through KK to Waterford. We must persist now to ensure it is fully finished and not stopped by the Greens or whoever.

Fair enough. I drove to Dublin last week, it was great to see the road works at Mullinavat and around Carlow, that is the main thing.:)

Fair enough. I drove to Dublin last week, it was great to see the road works at Mullinavat and around Carlow, that is the main thing.:)

Absolutely. And the contractors are powering ahead with it too.The worst of it will be gone in 2 years, all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Just like to add, by 2010 we will have forgotten the old n9 and will be driving on the new M9

But it is a pity that it has taken this long to sort out the roads in Kilkenny:D

What would have happened if Cullen was not in the cabinet and a Labour government was in power and the S.E was represented at cabinet by Brendan Howlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mfitzy wrote:
    P.S. Freddie, reading your posts on Kilkenny of which there are many you keep mentioning the afore mentioned councillor in her B&A knickers.Is that some kind of fetish thing or something?

If only!:D Nah - just a way of pointing out the backward, anti-Waterford leanings of your 'politicians':rolleyes: What better example can be given? I'll point to it at every opportunity. As I said already - a sad lot indeed. Even sadder are the ones who try to defend it.

Saying and doing are two very different things.

How very, very true. Case closed.;)

mfitzy wrote:
    In 2000, when the Waterford-Dublin route was announced under the NDP it very nearly went via the N11 for some bizzare reason. Members of the kilkenny coco lobbies extensively to have it go via the N9.

Nothing bizarre about it. It was beacuse of the constant objecting in Kilkenny that this was proposed. When the threat of running it via the N11 was announced they quickly came to their senses.

Personally I would have preferred to see that happen. Those in KK who had obstructed such a move for years would have gotten what they deserved. Economic isolation.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Nothing bizarre about it. It was beacuse of the constant objecting in Kilkenny that this was proposed. When the threat of running it via the N11 was announced they quickly came to their senses.

Personally I would have preferred to see that happen. Those in KK who had obstructed such a move for years would have gotten what they deserved. Economic isolation.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face if ever I heard it. Just to get back at Kilkenny you would rather the main road out of your city take an obscure (and longer) route and serve just Wexford and Wicklow:rolleyes: . In the process completely ignore the south Midlands region and beyond link to Waterford as well as giving a high quality link to Dublin in the process. And you imply that all KK people are petty and small minded.
    Pot calling the kettle black me thinks....

As for the 'constant' objecting form Kilkenny, bar the odd rant from P Hogan and landowners and environmentalists the vast, vast majority want to see the back of that death trap N9 and are fully supportive of it. No doubt if such a route were to built right through the heart of pictureseque county Waterford one would get the exact same concerns from landowners and the Green party.
    Personally I can't wait to see this road done, it'll be great for all of us in the s east.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote:
    If only!:D Nah - just a way of pointing out the backward, anti-Waterford leanings of your 'politicians':rolleyes: What better example can be given? I'll point to it at every opportunity. As I said already - a sad lot indeed. Even sadder are the ones who try to defend it.

One thing I will agree is the mind-numbing imcompetence of our gvt TDs, all backbenchers I might add, re the N9.Outrageous it wasn't upgraded sooner and they must shoulder much of the blame as a result.

Advertisement