Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BT my only option?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I've hit another rock on the road to broadband. Life's been a bit hectic of late so I'm only getting back to getting connected now. I've taken the advice here and looked for offers other than BT's but have hit a snag straightaway; as I'm far from the exchange and that search thing that takes in your telephone number says it's 'very unlikely' I could get broadband Tiscali have turned me down flat. The guy there said it's likely an engineer would have to be got out to do a survey and stuff so the only hope of getting broadband is through BT - Tiscali won't do it as they don't send out engineers. Is this likely to be the response from every provider, that BT is my only option as a survey will have to be done involving an engineer.

Should I give up shopping around now and take the BT offer in the hope that after a survey and sending out an engineer I might get broadband. BT have clarified for me that I won't be tied to anything if my line isn't good enough for broadband. What d'ya think:confused:

Ps. should add that this is BT in the North/Northern Ireland/the six counties/wee Ulster/the occupied six/the Praaavince and so on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Crisis averted, I've phoned UTV, AOL and Plusnet and these three companies have offered me broadband: so I'm not just tied to BT. Of course, regardless of which company I go with I won't be able to get more than 1/2 meg due to the distance I'm from the exchange. AOL and Plusnet both offer a better deal than BT with their basic package of £14.99 a month and no setup costs and a free router. There's also a free month with the AOL package and both companies offer a year long contract.

There is a cheaper option with Plusnet of only 9.99 per month but this is for very light usage and mightn't suit me. Is anyone on a similar package, could they share their experience? Also are AOL or Plusnet reliable companies to get broadband from?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AOL is unlimited (no caps) however it does have a fair usage policy, so if you download ALOT it could very well affect you.

No experience with Plusnet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I'm not a gamer, just someone that surfs the net and uses ebay. I might want to download the ocasional, er... hmm... certain type of video but that's about it: am I likely to stretch AOL's fair usage policy?

Is £14.99 (22.50 Euros) per month a reasonable price for a basic package (up to 2megs of which I'll only get 1/2 meg) or is it pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

MT wrote:
    I'm not a gamer, just someone that surfs the net and uses ebay. I might want to download the ocasional, er... hmm... certain type of video but that's about it: am I likely to stretch AOL's fair usage policy?

Is £14.99 (22.50 Euros) per month a reasonable price for a basic package (up to 2megs of which I'll only get 1/2 meg) or is it pricey?

HI MT

To be honest BT, UTV... all use EIRCOM infraestructure so it wont matter who you go with :( Your only hopes are NTL, Irish BB or similar (though its not particulary my favourite choice) and satellite.

If you have a telephone number they will be able to check that. All Broadband orders, even when you place them over the internet, have to pass a prequal test, if they dont prequalify it will automatically rejected on EIRCOMs gateway.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Praetor wrote:
    HI MT

To be honest BT, UTV... all use EIRCOM infraestructure so it wont matter who you go with :(

no they don't, well not in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Cremo wrote:
    no they don't, well not in Northern Ireland.

Now I have a big mouth.. true I didnt see you were in NI.

I am afraid that I can help you there as they use a different system :(

Sorry I apologize!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye I was wondering what the OP was waffling about with regards to Tiscali and engineers :D I though I'd missed a big operator like them moving into the depressing hell that is the Irish telecommunications market.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ye I was wondering what the OP was waffling about with regards to Tiscali and engineers :D I though I'd missed a big operator like them moving into the depressing hell that is the Irish telecommunications market.

we can only wish, imagine the likes of blueyonder/telewest being here. :drool:

Advertisement