Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought Vista Ultimate - big mistake!

• 30-01-2007 9:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I paid a SHOCKING €549 in PC World today for Vista Ultimate retail, i didn't break the seal...only to discover on calling M$ that they only offer a 90 day warranty?????.....90 DAYS FOR FIVE HUNDREAD & FORTY NINE EURO! :eek:

90 days tech support on a brand new and buggy OS, there are already 26 patches listed on the MS website....90 days?, after that i have to PAY €75 PER incident/call.

How can this be ethical/legal?...is there not a standard one year warranty in the Euro zone?

I am disgusted by this and plan to return it software tomorrow, Windows XP Pro had a 5 year warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I paid a SHOCKING €549 in PC World today for Vista Ultimate retail, i didn't break the seal...only to discover on calling M$ that they only offer a 90 day warranty?????.....90 DAYS FOR FIVE HUNDREAD & FORTY NINE EURO! :eek:

90 days tech support on a brand new and buggy OS, there are already 26 patches listed on the MS website....90 days?, after that i have to PAY €75 PER incident/call.

How can this be ethical/legal?...is there not a standard one year warranty in the Euro zone?

I am disgusted by this and plan to return it software tomorrow, Windows XP Pro had a 5 year warranty.

any 12 month warranty would refer to the disk rather than software support... still is a cheak though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

I am pretty sure that all older versions of Windows have the same tech support contract. You have to pay for support after 90 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

549 quid for an OS. Are you insane or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

www.opensuse.org, better OS and alot cheaper(i.e. FOC)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

Why would you pay €549 for software that you describe as flawed (buggy...26 patches etc. ) ?

And why should the shop refund your purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

God, whats the point in just posting links to Unix OS's? This is a Windows forum and while Unix-based OS's may offer alternatives, in many cases they are impractical.

Vista will by far have more take up and usage that either of the two listed above and many users need to have Windows running for both business and personal reasons.

On topic, 90 days is pretty short but I'd imagine you will be fine with online help from non-MS staff after that period and any bug or issue you have will probably be already sorted somewhere online or at least marked as known.

I wouldnt panic too much about it to be honest. Every piece of software above the minimal hobbyist level has a bug or ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Your first mistake was paying 550euro for an operating system on its day of launch and then expecting it not to have bugs?
    Why would you need tech support anyway? Its windows for goodness sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Be reassured:
    Vista Service Pack 1 is on the way. With many new features I do believe.
    http://apcmag.com/5098/microsoft_kick_starts_vista_sp1.
    And I imagine a great many bug fixes.

I will wait and watch with interest before even thinking of migrating to this new and unbelieveable piece of software engineering.

Beelzebub wrote:
    I will wait and watch with interest before even thinking of migrating to this new and unbelieveable piece of software engineering.
    lol

FFS, you can buy a Dell notebook with Vista Home Premium for less than 500 notes, why on earth would you pay €550 for just the OS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

I paid a SHOCKING €549 in PC World today for Vista Ultimate retail

You realise you could go to the Dell website and get a (basic) desktop with Home Premium for €70 less - a C521 with LCD monitor is €479.

Seems a bit crazy paying €549 for the OS alone. (Even if you bough an OEM home premium version and used the soon to be released express upgrade, you'd probably save at least €200, probably a lot more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

CiaranC wrote:
    lol

FFS, you can buy a Dell notebook with Vista Home Premium for less than 500 notes, why on earth would you pay €550 for just the OS?
    Because he wanted Ultimate, and presumably had a good reason to spend that much on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Because he wanted Ultimate, and presumably had a good reason to spend that much on it.

Oh i wanna hear this one :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oh i wanna hear this one :D.

Ummmm .... business reasons? Not to wave the microsoft flag or anything (and before someone whinges, I use both windows and linux), but jesus christ show some perspective people!!

Yes paying 550 yoyo is erring on the side of the mentally questionable, but I can imagine that somebody (and I include myself in this) working in the technology field may have to _actually_ familiarise themselves with a product platform that is moving into the market .... :rolleyes:

And whilst linking to *nix distros may seem witty, doing so for someone who hasn't asked or hinted at wanting to know about alternatives and/or actually may have to do business within the windows sphere is not only an unproductive act, but makes me cringe since it looks like elitist snobbery and makes *nix users look bad. It's not smart. It's not funny. If someone asks for alternatives by all means link, but otherwise it looks arrogant. Precisely the same arrogance that linux users accuse microsoft of portraying.

Lemming wrote:
    Ummmm .... business reasons?
    What business reasons? And he bought it retail, off the shelf at PC world...

If anyone *needs* to familiarise themselves with the OS for "business reasons", MSDN, MS SPA, the beta programme, the training programs or the 120 day eval versions are available...

CiaranC wrote:
    What business reasons? And he bought it retail, off the shelf at PC world...

If anyone *needs* to familiarise themselves with the OS for "business reasons", MSDN, MS SPA, the beta programme, the training programs or the 120 day eval versions are available...

*sigh*

Not everyone has MSDN et al. subscriptions, rightly or wrongly. I'm simply pointing out that there may actually, heaven f*cking forbid, reasons that are business-related for going out and buying the shagging thing at such a premium price.

Not everything in life fits into category A, B, and C you know ...

Enlighten us to what these business reasons are then.

For anyone who is interested, MS have an online test drive here. Its free.

CiaranC wrote:
    Enlighten us to what these business reasons are then.

For the love of ....

Actually, you know what? That is an utterly f*cktarded question and I cannot be arsed answering for one simple reason. You answered yourself in your original response to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Tried it but I am outside the geographical area to operate the demo. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

The first point is the most relevant I think.......

Windows Vista Business Test Drive