Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hook laptop up to TV??

• 30-01-2007 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Can i do this? If so how?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

if tv has a vga port, then you just need the right cables (vga cable) to connect things up

If tv is older type standard tv, laptop will need to have an s-video output(tv out), in that case you need an s-video cable and probably something like a scart adapter with s-video input.

Best to find your manual an see if gives a guide for connecting/setting it up, as the particulars will vary depending on the laptop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have S-Video out on an old Dell Inspiron and it sits beside the telly (and on the network once the wireless card I've ordered arrives) with no problems at all. The telly's a good few years old (but still in great nick). I got the latest video drivers and it worked first time. I don't recall what exactly the video card on it is, pretty sure it's ATI Rage Mobility (or something like that) but I can check when I get home. The laptop will still show the desktop, but video playback only happens on the telly, so you'll have a blank laptop screen when you go full-screen (but I'm guessing this is because of the age and system specs of the device). For €200, it's a cheap media device and my phone (Sony Ericsson v600i) has a bluetooth Media Player interface for remote control :)

my tv has a vga port so I went into pc world ...€30!! for the cable to connect up my laptop!!!!:eek: and thats only the video side of things...I think the audio cable was around twenty.

I know its not a fortune but I was expecting it to work out cheaper.

Jebus that seems awful steep - €50 on 2 cables? But if it's all working as it should, you're sailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Its a new LCD tv, so i reckon it prob just have the right connections, ill check when i go home tonight. Do i need a cable for sound too then??

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote:
    Its a new LCD tv, so i reckon it prob just have the right connections, ill check when i go home tonight. Do i need a cable for sound too then??

yep, if you want the sound from the tv instead of the laptop, probably something like this http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-5mm-Jack-to-2-xRCA-Phono-Audio-Cable-5m-Lead-8HR-PACK_W0QQitemZ150086820387QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31492QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Used from the headphone jack of the laptop to audio in of the tv
    Should be easy to find in electrical shop, and not too pricey. Vga cables can vary in price so might be best to shop around or buy online

hey eolhc can you please give me a link to the correct type of vga cable on eBay? I'm not sure what I should be searching for..I have tried myself but i'm a little confused by all the male/female/svga/vga stuff....thanks for the link for the audio cable....

hey eolhc can you please give me a link to the correct type of vga cable on eBay? I'm not sure what I should be searching for..I have tried myself but i'm a little confused by all the male/female/svga/vga stuff....thanks for the link for the audio cable....

Would typically be male to male cable(ie with pins not sockets ;)), you'd want to check your laptop and tv just to make sure the connections are right for you, not recommending the items i'm linking to on ebay just giving as an example,
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/5M-M-to-M-HD15-VGA-EXTENSION-CABLE-MONITOR-5-METRES_W0QQitemZ290074944061QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41999QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could also test things with the cable from a computer monitor if its vga and detaches from the monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for all the info, will try PC World/Currys/Dixons tonight, and if they are too dear ill just go with ebay and wait a week or so!!

eolhc wrote:
    Would typically be male to male cable(ie with pins not sockets ;)), you'd want to check your laptop and tv just to make sure the connections are right for you, not recommending the items i'm linking to on ebay just giving as an example,
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/5M-M-to-M-HD15-VGA-EXTENSION-CABLE-MONITOR-5-METRES_W0QQitemZ290074944061QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41999QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could also test things with the cable from a computer monitor if its vga and detaches from the monitor

Thanks eolhc...my old laptop had s-video out and I found things much easier....

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info, will try PC World/Currys/Dixons tonight, and if they are too dear ill just go with ebay and wait a week or so!!
    Don't bother, just go straight to ebay, buy it all from 1 shop if possible and save on postage :) You'll probably get all you need + postage for the same price as 1 cable in one of those shops you mentioned.

Also, try Peats or Maplins for better deals, those "High Street" computer shops will make you touch your toes for *everything* you buy (I don't get why people shop there at all).

Yeah I mean whats the thing here? A VGA cable from PC World €30...they're available for €6 inc P&P(from good sellers) on eBay!

A 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable is €15 in Dixon's but sells for €6 inc P&P again on eBay..

I was checking HDMI cables on eBay last night and found just one 2m one for €6 from a US seller .......is there a catch with all this cheap cables? Or are the high street stores just robbery?
    Kharn wrote:
    Also, try Peats or Maplins for better deals, those "High Street" computer shops will make you touch your toes for *everything* you buy (I don't get why people shop there at all).

Maplins here in Limerick have exorbitant prices for things too...

Advertisement