Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista TV advertisement

• 30-01-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I just saw the new Microsoft TV advertisement (the one with everyone saying wow) and it pretty much confirmed to me what I have been thinking recently.

Windows Vista offers little more then a prettier graphics.

Windows XP finally merged the home and work versions of the OS and after a few patches was pretty rock solid.

I went onto the MS website and the only extra thing I could see was the Parental Control feature as the new version of Media Player and IE can already be installed on XP.

Am I missing something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

full 64-bit support.
    Media center (i know about MCE but we are talking about xp here).
    BitLocker drive encyption.
    Texas hold 'em poker game (a ton better than minesweeper)
    Windows HD movie maker.
    Windows firewall has greatly improved too, it now scans incoming and outgoing connections.
    navigating folders is much much improved too.

i've attached some screenshots using the snipping tool (so handy, basically allows you to screen capture any part of the screen you can even draw the area you want to capture).

now this is what i've noticed from a limited time using it. sure it's not bugless at the moment - what microsoft product is tbh? but it's looks nice and the new features and the redesign of windows explorer is great and reminds me very much of ubuntu.

now if you have software that you are dependant on like some business package or whatever it's obviously not advisable to look into vista.

vista will in time get rid of 32 hardware which is only a good thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Fair enough on the 64bit support and the improved firewall but the rest seems pretty superficial.

And what is wrong with minesweeper? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

it does look a lot like they just used ubuntu for a design base for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Cormic wrote:
    Am I missing something else?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

As for the ads, They are hardly going to say 'Buy Windows Vista, It has a brand new print architecture!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

For me it’s about building and improving on what the old OS could do already, things like being able to have a gaming session on Xbox360 and vista at the same time,(when that comes out) implementation of Pixel and Vertex Shader 4.0 support in the graphics interface (nice), using the RSS feed viewer and the sidebar I really like, Virtual Folders is a good idea, supports up to 160 open windows at the same time (OK you WILL need GB’s of RAM for that) Upgraded Windows firewall, Windows Defender, upgraded Networking and tools, upgrades to Media Center, Photo Gallery, Windows SideShow, Media player 11, Direct X 10, Windows Mail, Internet Explorer 7, Windows Calendar… I could go on but my point is these are the things I look forward to seeing/using and I’m happy to see most of them working well in this beta I have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Saw the WOW advert lastnight for first time, anyone else find it funny that their main feature appears to be Windows Key+Tab.

Its not exactly ground breaking stuff and isn't a massive advancement from Alt+Tab in my books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Cabaal wrote:
    Saw the WOW advert lastnight for first time, anyone else find it funny that their main feature appears to be Windows Key+Tab.

Its not exactly ground breaking stuff and isn't a massive advancement from Alt+Tab in my books.

I agree. It's not. But it's an advertisement. Most IT departments and geeks will research the bits that are a bit more technical and relevant to them. Those ads are for brand awareness and to appeal to the moms and pops. I've had people who know nothing about computers (and I really mean nothing) ask me about Vista on the basis of the advertising and press releases over the last week. That's what a company wants when they're sending out the advertising.

Advertisement