Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien on Prime Time again?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 10:56pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With Rex Combs, Matt Cooper and Dermot Jewell. Missed most of it, will have to catch it on the website later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It was really like a game of where's wally? I was seen for about 30 seconds. Still, someone gave them good notes as they took a few swipes at ComReg as well as eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Damien (Mr Offline) Mulley from The Offline Company Inc

:rolleyes:

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Comreg a no-show again. Quelle suprise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I never watched Prime Time before, but I found the discussion pathetic. It was short and only a few points were raised and not properly discussed.

Rex just kept saying they are working on it.

Damien barley got a word in.

That ICA guy spoke very little.

Matt Coper the Today FM DJ was the only one who spoke the most sense, to the point and brought up great issues.

Very disapointed. Having the CEO of Eircom there, and nothing much said.

Despite me making noise in the Cork studio, I was not let back into the debate. Jewell as usual talked the crap that ComReg feeds him but then they pay the CAI to attend presentations where they show them slides that says everything is fine. Combs deflected everything and was left to do so as well but eircom did look quite bad. This is the 5th month that Combs has used the "new kid in town, leave me alone" excuse. How long can he milk it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

jwt wrote:
    Damien (Mr Offline) Mulley from The Offline Company Inc

:rolleyes:

John

:D That got a smile from me. You did well to ignore that one Damien, seeing as you got so little time.

Matt Cooper was doing a lot less sitting on the fence than he does on his radio show. Also felt Rex Combs explained the position on the exchanges fairly clearly, and Dermot Jewell kept harping on about it unnecessarily, eircom aren't a state run organisation any more, if its not economically viable to upgrade an exchange, its naive to assume they'll to it "in the national interest".

State run or not, eircom have Significant Market Power and so have a Universal Service Obligation and as such have obligations they must meet, the problem is they are not meeting them. Doesn't matter if they are state owned or not. They need to be made accountable and of course the enforcer of them (ComReg) was nowhere to be seen last night.

Sully04 wrote:
    Rex just kept saying they are working on it.... Having the CEO of Eircom there, and nothing much said.

http://www.achgohairithe.com/?p=196

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/

Top middle, 3 links. The below links won't work but just for reference so you know where to look on the link above.
    [LIST]
    [*][URL="javascript:showPlayer('/news/2007/0130/primetime_av.html?2214495,null,230')"][IMG]http://www.rte.ie/news/images/video_icon_black.gif[/IMG]Eithne O'Brien looks at problems suffered by Eircom customers
    [/URL]
    [*][URL="javascript:showPlayer('/news/2007/0130/primetime_av.html?2214496,null,230')"][IMG]http://www.rte.ie/news/images/video_icon_black.gif[/IMG]John Madden talks about the difficulties he faced trying to acquire a phone line for his house
    [/URL]
    [*][URL="javascript:showPlayer('/news/2007/0130/primetime_av.html?2214497,null,230')"][IMG]http://www.rte.ie/news/images/video_icon_black.gif[/IMG]Dermott Jewell, Consumers' Association of Ireland, Rex Combs, Eircom, Matt Cooper, Today FM, and Damien Mulley, Ireland Off-line, discuss the service provided by Eircom
    [/URL][/LIST]

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

damien.m wrote:
    Combs deflected everything and was left to do so as well but eircom did look quite bad. This is the 5th month that Combs has used the "new kid in town, leave me alone" excuse. How long can he milk it?

He kept saying im the "new guy dont blame me" and that the consumer was his main priority and how they were going to spend $1 Billion (yes DOLLARS) on the next generation network over the next 3 years. Why quote dollars in a eurozone country?
    He also forgot to mention that €450 Million (US$565 Million) was paid to shareholders within weeks of him arriving. Of course that was never mentioned!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I thought the fact that Comreg didn't even care enough to show up said a lot about our regulator and I hope people picked up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

brim4brim wrote:
    I thought the fact that Comreg didn't even care enough to show up said a lot about our regulator and I hope people picked up on that.

Comreg care so much about Irish consumers that they couldn't even be bothered to show up to a program called "Eithne O'Brien looks at problems suffered by Eircom customers".

Abolish them, useless shower of parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I didn't see this programme, but it has occurred to me for a while that the format of bringing eircom into these debates is essentially pointless. Unless we want to yet again hear about people texting in who can't get broadband, complain about this and that aspect of eircom's service, followed by some promises from eircom to close the whole thing off nicely. Even if ComReg is in these debates, they can just sit back and let eircom do the talking and they don't have to take ownership of the problem in any shape or form because people's perception is that eircom is to blame for it all. The format should really be ComReg in one corner and Damien in the other.

Advertisement