Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound for dummies

• 30-01-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to wire my sky box through my cinema system so I can have surround sound for movies and tv? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Need to know what sky box you have , is it standard , sky plus , or sky HD , they are all slightly different .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Sky plus

Your sky plus box will have an optical connector on the back , you need to check if your home cinema system has a free optical in , if so your in luck and all your will need is a cable to connect the two.

Note that not all channels are in surround , most of the movie channels are but it depends on the program , when you hit the info button on the program , if it says DD in the codes on the right then it should be in 5.1 surround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Nice one thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hi mathias,
    I have an NTL digibox with the full package ... Just bought the Yamaha AV59 surround system ... Is there any secrets in connecting these up ?
    Cheers ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Salem wrote:
    Hi mathias,
    I have an NTL digibox with the full package ... Just bought the Yamaha AV59 surround system ... Is there any secrets in connecting these up ?
    Cheers ...

Yeah I'd like to know this.

Have the Yamaha AV59 and am getting digital.

As far as I know the AV59 has two optical links so all you would have to do is buy an optical cable and hook up the two. But since I havent either set up I'm not sure

The latest samsung NTL box has digital optical out , see here ,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408896

This should connect to the av59 no problem , thats all there is to it , the amp will detect which mode is coming down the link and auto switch , so any content in 5.1 should come thorugh in 5.1.

The older NTL boxes and the pace boxes dont have a digital optical out , only stereo , this can be connected to the AV59 and you can use the Dolby pro logic II to get a pseudo surround sound , but its not the same as real 5.1

Advertisement