Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor timber

Options
  • 31-01-2007 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I am looking for a timber that will stand up well to Irish outdoor conditions.
    I have looked at teak and mahogany but they are too dark, i'd be interested to know if there was a lighter coloured one.

Any info would be grateful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

Whats the timber for?

Natural look or staining/varnishing it?

You can use light timber like oak/pine and Ronseal it, it does exactly what it says on the tin!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Most woods will stand up to outdoor use if treated regularly.None will if they aren't.I have a thin wooden garden shed for 15 years and it's still going strong with the occasional treatment. Even if a wood is pressure treated, as in decking, it will still need yearly treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dubtom wrote:
    Most woods will stand up to outdoor use if treated regularly.None will if they aren't.I have a thin wooden garden shed for 15 years and it's still going strong with the occasional treatment. Even if a wood is pressure treated, as in decking, it will still need yearly treatments.
    Balu is a very robust timber. It grows in wet conditions and is naturally very resistant to harsh weather. AKAIK the boardwalk along the quays uses balu. I've never seen it being retreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Cedar is pretty weather proof but not a very strong wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 steeo

Sorry ment to reply earlier, the timber is for the bed of a 1972 mini pickup that i am restoring for shows.
    I am looking for a nice timber that will take a fine sanding but also something that wont curl up like a pigs tail at the first sign of moisture.
    Something like the photo below but not as dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Marine Ply might be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Well, if you want something light coloured but decorative, then some cedarwood cladding would look well.

As the previous poster said, its not very strong or hardwearing but is pretty weatherproof.

You should be able to source it as your local timberyard. Might be better to glue it onto some marine ply backing for extra strength.

Advertisement