Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ.ie Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did you notice what happens when you leave out the 'www'?

http://rte.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Nice! :)

I think I preferred the old one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

not too hot on the new design to be honest , has a few flashier elements but thought the old one was much more functional

bit of a big blooper on the http://rte.ie address alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I find it too cluttered. There is a lot of information on the screen and its very hard to distinguish between the different content areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

think they have gone backwards with the design and not as freeflowing.

and they are really pushing their store with adverts all over the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Very cluttered.
    Way too many flash ads trying to grab your attention while trying to read the news items

Its a pale imitation of bbc.co.uk - the layout of the news pages is very similar although just does not work as well

The home page is extremely cluttered and theres a lot to load too - would be a killer on dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Only looked at the homepage ... but a few things ...

Our TV Licenses are meant to pay for the RTE aren't they ... (I could be mistaken)
    why on earth is the thing so cluttered with adverts ... ?
    I'm getting hit by ads for the book of kells ... charlie bird .. travel .. quinn direct permanent tsb ... I mean ... WTF!!!

The flash animation makes it hard for me to read the news headlines on the right.

The nav at the top could do with colour ... it'd make it good as one could build up an association of a colour with a section ...

The background of the headings ... the gradient thing ... just looks wrong to me .. you eyes tend to focus on the gradient and not the content underneath ..

The AERTEL site is asking me to install MSXML 5.0 ... I don't like that ...

Also what exactly happens if you don't have flash installed ?

of course these are all just personal opinions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

forbairt wrote:
    Our TV Licenses are meant to pay for the RTE aren't they ... (I could be mistaken)
    why on earth is the thing so cluttered with adverts ... ?
    Several parts of RTE receive no public funding, including rte.ie and the rte guide. I think there's a couple of others too, but they are all commercial ventures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Overall, I prefer it to the old site but there is still some way to go. I like it (technical arguments aside) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I like the new site, they could centre it on the page though, maybe they should register www.rté.ie aswell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

that makes no sense at all lodgepole surely something that carries the RTE branding on it is part of RTE and therefore gets funding. its the same way that RTE sell ads on their channel as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

No, the TELEVISION licence only covers the television channels... Radio, Website, DVD's and The guide are all out on their own.

Whatever the 'www.' thing was they have since fixed it, was used to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeg

I can't believe they reimplemented the Aertel pages as Gifs with image maps. No more copy and paste! This is absolute rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No, the TELEVISION licence only covers the television channels... Radio, Website, DVD's and The guide are all out on their own.

Whatever the 'www.' thing was they have since fixed it, was used to happen?
    2fm is the only radio station that doesn't receive funding from the license fee.

See the attached to see what it looked like without the 'www'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

It looks Nicer, but for navigation, well erm, it ain't much better, and wtf is going on with all those bloody ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

joeg wrote:
    I can't believe they reimplemented the Aertel pages as Gifs with image maps. No more copy and paste! This is absolute rubbish!
    Didn't they do that before and then went back to text. I assume that they want to retain the look of Aertel on the TV.
    Email your comments to info@rte.ie. Sometimes they reply with good information.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't know about your all but the main nav bar spreads onto two lines for me.
    There is an acre of space down the bottom just containing "© RTÉ 2007"
    i really couldn't be arsed looking for more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

It's not awful overall but it's not great either. Some elements are dreadful though and the layout is too cramped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

miju wrote:
    that makes no sense at all lodgepole surely something that carries the RTE branding on it is part of RTE and therefore gets funding. its the same way that RTE sell ads on their channel as well
    It makes perfect sense, they're seperate entities. There's more details of it if you browse around the RTE site somewhere, and i'm sure it's detailed in the television license section of oasis.gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

I personally think it is a big improvement over the old one. Granted they did ruin the Aertel service but I found the whole navigation a lot more logical. Hats off.

Advertisement