Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If travel broadens the mind, what have you learnt?

• 31-01-2007 4:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I was thinking the other day about how travel broadens the mind so I was wondering what people have learnt from living abroad or from any countries you've visited. Mine are

1) that Western food portion sizes are ridiculously bigger than necessary. I mean this not only with regard to restaurant sizes but also the average portion size I, and any of my friends or family, would cook at home. This I've based on Singapore where food portions are a lot smaller but I was never hungry after a meal.

2) how little concern for the environment there is in Ireland. Australians are so much more environmentally aware, there's no plastic bag tax but loads people carry reusable bags anyway. And there's so much more awareness of the need to save water. Admittedly that's because there's a drought going on, but Irish & English people I know here just don't seem to care & will leave taps running etc. etc. because "It rained the other day, and sure we'll be gone home by the time that reservoir is empty!"

Please note that this is not an "Irish people are so ignorant thread", I'm sure there are nationalities that could learn from us too. But just wondering what you've learnt that we could be doing better? Or indeed what could any country you have lived in or travelled to learn from us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

How unbelievably desperately corrupt the entire world is. Irish people believe we live in a corruption rife hell-hole. We, the US, the UK and parts of western europe are amongst the cleanest in the world.
    The house I live in now is worth 1 million dollars. My landlord owns at least 5 bigger than it. He is an ex-cop from Hanoi, and a communist party member no doubt. -very minor example-

How poor and oppressed people can be and still be happy. Its shocking that people in the west commit suicide when they lose a few thousand quid or a girlfriend etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The learnings I most value from travelling have been:
    You can always fix things
    It's never as bad as it seems now, it'll get better tomorrow
    Bring a towel :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Travel lessons? Hummmmm? OK! Here's a few...
    1. Moscow - bring extra rolls of toilet paper
    2. Porto Alegre - typically arrive late for dinner, but never on time
    3. Berlin - don't be over 5 minutes late for a meeting or you're toast!
    4. Tokyo - don't put a man's business card in the pocket over your heart!
    5. Los Angeles - don't stare at gang members (even though they're just kids)
    6. Brussels - you just might find the opposite sex in the W/C with you
    7. Seoul - if you have a host, don't try to pay for anything or they lose face
    8. Milan - the hotel concierge can get you anything for a price
    9. Paris - don't tip in restaurants, cause the gratituity is typically in the check
    10. Mexico City - don't drink the water!
    11. Jamaica - go out at night with others, never alone!
    12. Hong Kong - bring lots of money and shop until you drop!
    13. British Columbia - don't feed the bears! They will follow you back to your tent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

That we're not 'all the same at the end of the day'. People are way to different to ever get along in a global sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Every country smells different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

How unpolluted Ireland is
    Know the value of your passport
    It is important to know the word for beer and "cheers" in any country you visit
    Pooping into a hole in the ground is not a lot of fun
    In some cultures, what appears to be rudeness is actually efficiency (eg. Balkan people never say thankyou, its not in their culture to do so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

1. Despite what weebl would have you believe, Norway pisses all over Kenya.
    2. Japan is probably the best place in the world.
    3. The north of Romania is way nicer than the rest of the country. (I was where they filmed Borat's villiage at one stage.)
    4. Prague is easily one of the most incredible cities in the world.
    5. Beers from every country I've been to kick the ass of the usual Carlsberg, Heineken, Budweiser crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Beer in continental Europe is nicer, and stronger, than what we have on tap in most Irish bars.
    That even though cultures are hugely different, manners and human decency exist everywhere.
    That being Irish has it's perks.
    How miraculous our economy has been given how laid back a people we are.
    That I love the Dutch outlook on life (pretty much do whatever you like as long as it doesn't harm anyone else).
    That we as a people are terrible for littering.
    That I want to travel lots more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive learned that the nicest macy-dee's in the world is in amsterdam not because of the nice smoke there but because of lovly ice tea and most importantly the
    Mc Bacon.... *drools*

EDIT: Actually it was called the "Mc Tasty" so much bacon Mmmmmmm bacon

Sleepy wrote:
    That I love the Dutch outlook on life (pretty much do whatever you like as long as it doesn't harm anyone else).

Have you been outside Amsterdam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

when crossing the road abroad I have learnt (the hard way) to look generally to my left hand side for oncoming traffic. This includes trams too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

To not burp in a Spanish taxi!

After a heavy night of drinking I burped without thinking in the back of a Spanish taxi. The taxi driver nearly had a heart attack and pulled in to the side of the road and wouldn't move until I said excuse me (it took a while for me to understand what he wanted!).

Apart from that, I've learned that I love Prague! Best city I've ever been to. It just looks brilliant as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I love Prague too despite the fact that I was knocked down by a tram there (hence my previous post)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

1.Berlin - Just works, the trains are 24 hours except sunday where they take two hours off
    2.The Cannaries - A Fistful of dollars was filmed here
    3.Prague - is great as long as you dont go during holiday season when it turns into a britian americian hybrid
    4.Amsterdam - is a dump, execept for the maylo mellow where you can get some real great new orleans jazz
    5.England - drunken leary blokes will talk to you en mass in the toilet when they figure out that your irish, dont get stage fright it just makes it last longer
    6.South Africa - if you get stopped by guys with big guns ask how much and give it to them (probablly wont be too much, but i havent been there in a long time) plus billtong is gorgeous
    7.Croatia - has the most attractive women in europe
    8.Australia - a dunny is a toilet, a shelia is a woman and a spider is a coke float
    9.Singapore - they have no 13 th floor, its bad luck

theres more but i have to work now

Rollie

zuutroy wrote:
    Have you been outside Amsterdam?

Ye ive been to Holland 7 times since i finished school 3 years ago
    Found this lovely little beach resort, much better city centre red light.
    Although they are slightly less tolerent of people smoking outside of amsterdam.

Its hard to convince my mates to go there only one or two of the like it like i do the rest moan that there is no coffee shops there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You seriously don't want to jaywalk in Prague though.... the police come down heavy on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

money means EVERYTHING.

Chicks dig money.

Money buys you shiney things that make you happy

Money buys more holidays so you can go travelling a few times a year

Money brings independance from normal limitations

Money opens doors normally closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Former Soviet Union - Bring your own toilet roll.
    • Former Soviet Union - If you have contraband in your luggage - give the Customs guy $20 & he'll turn the other cheek. Give him $40 & he'll sell you some more.
    • Israel - You won't get an Irish coffee after having a steak in a Kosher restaurant.
    • Israel - They have the sexiest women soldiers in the world!
    • Italy - The Romans are nice people.
    • Italy - The Milanese are stuck-up tossers.
    • Germany - Has the best pork products in the world.
    • Belgium - Has the best beer in the world.
    • Tunisia - Don't handle any produce unless you are totally sure you will buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

bratislava is encredibly quiet place on a sunday night in winter(nobody leaves their homes/opens food stores/pubs)

vienna has an awful lot amazing baroque buildings/architecture

prague is the perfect place to go for a winter break

people in the north of poland ar an awful lot friendlier to holidaymakers than in the south

the islands off the coast of thailand are in-fact paradise and is the only place that i went that has warm ocean water(like stepping into to a warm bath;) )

User45701 wrote:
    Although they are slightly less tolerent of people smoking outside of amsterdam.

Allow me to correct you there: they are slightly less tolerent of people outside of amsterdam.
    Lived in Arnhem two years ago and it was horrible. Literally got ignored in restaurants when they saw we were English-speakers. Girlfriend got nothing but hassle from the gangs of dodgy lookin weirdos everywhere. People are AMAZINGLY conservative. Managed a month and had to leave. Independently verified by a mate who lived in a rural area near Eindhoven for 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Düsseldorf airport is nowhere near Düsseldorf, thank you Ryanair!:( (they have it listed as Weeze now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

How lucky we are to live in a country with a decent human rights record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Don't panic! My backpacking trip went wrong right at the begining and I was stranded on the border between Portugal and Spain I didn't realise the bus stoped there.

Paris is an incredibly flithy dirty city outisde of the main tourist atractions, household rubish on the side of the street and sewers gushing into the street.

The Spainish and Portuguesse don't recycle at all.

The vast majority of people are nice and freindly and will go out of their way to help you as long as your the same to them.

Czech republic as a whole is a cool country.

Everybody loves the Irish, Had an old german man sit beside me on a train babbling away in german until he found out I was Irish. Then he started talking English becuase he had an Irish friend. I then found out he was a Nazi medic during the war who fled to India. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ruu wrote:
    Düsseldorf airport is nowhere near Düsseldorf, thank you Ryanair!:( (they have it listed as Weeze now)

You'll find Dusseldorf international (where all proper airlines fly in to) is about 7 minutes from the centre of Dusseldorf by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Ruu wrote:

The same can be said for the "Paris" airport the fly to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

sjones wrote:
    The same can be said for the "Paris" airport the fly to.

And the same can be said for Milan. Sure Stansted isn't really anywhere near London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Outside Le Louvre..

Seller: Zat picture eez €10
    Me: Really, its a bit expensive isn't it.
    Seller: Zat is zee price sirr
    Me: God I'd get that for a fiver in Dublin
    Seller: Oui Oui Sirr, are you from Eerlande?
    Me: Well, yeah..
    Seller: Aaahhh, mon amie! I thought you are Eenglish, no sirr, you must have eet for €5 zen. I fooking hate zee Eenglish!

^^ That pretty much happens in every country. Irish people are very well received, so play on it if needs be.

In Australia, pick 5 things you definitely want to do and then no more. You will get sidetracked by so many cool things that you might feck up your schedule if you plan for more than 5 things in your stay.

In South Africa, Cape Town is grand - like any other city, just watch where you're going and make sure people know where you are at all times etc. Johannesburg - Be very aware of people lingering (standing) at stop signs/traffic lights. Do not be flashy with jewelry/money. Public transport is a last resort. Don't over-tip anyone, they may follow you around and harrass you.

In Hong Kong - Keep your wits about you, nearly got knocked over 8 times in 3 days. Be careful of the water, and bring sea sickness tablets (4 ferries a day when I was there)

In Turkey, the men are often arrogant and the women very submissive. Didn't like that at all.

Overall.. I've learned that the earth is quite flat, despite what the 'scientists' will have you believe.

The emergency crash position is useless. With that in mind, you are probably not going to crash.

Watch others and take the lead from them re: local cultures/mannerisms etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

connundrum wrote:
    In Turkey, the men are often arrogant and the women very submissive. Didn't like that at all.

I found that too. I also learned there that you put your toilet paper in the bin and not the toilet. Took me a while to get used to doing that and a while after I got back home to remember to flush it :D

• Advertisement

Ive only been to about 15 countries yet, but i'll second that. Mmm.. what i'd do for an ice cold red Chimay now....

Why I might just go to the canteen in work (yes its true) and have one! Muahahahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

In Australia: The question you are likely to be asked the most by Aussies is "So what do you think of Australia". And if somewhere isn't named after an English bloke, it'll be called what it is (brown lake, green lake, great ocean road).

In Asia: Get used to being tall. Don't run for a train in japan, there will be another along before the one you are chasing has left. Don't push any buttons on the toilet if you don't know what they do. Pocari Sweat isn't as disgusting as it seems (the drink, not the user). They leave the bones in the food.

In India: It's HOT. They like cricket. They are lovely.

In Europe: Don't make so many jokes. Be prepared to eat meat.

in America: As long as you have the cash, you can do what you want.

I'd disagree with one of the previous posters, I think people all over the world are pretty much the same. We all want to be left alone to hang out with our mates and raise our kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I learnt that Ireland is not as bad as we think. And our health system could be worse. I was talking to a German friend of mine and she told me that her 87 year old grandmother has diabetes and has to pay 300euros per month for her medication from her pension. Her pension is only 400euro per month. At least here, anyone with such lifelong illnesses here get the doctor (if diabetes related) and medication free. Also, they are required by law to have health insurance which is 15% of the gross salary and they still have to pay each time they go to the doctor or dentist. She just got stung with 1000euros dentist bill.

I learnt that be Irish is the best nationality in the world because everyone loves the Irish! Especially the Germans but I think that's because we are only other country in the world that have such a bad reputation for alcohol.

God I miss Ireland now!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

ScumLord wrote:

The Spainish and Portuguesse don't recycle at all.

Thats strange I live in Valencia and looking out into the street I can count 4 containers for recycable items (two of them look they are nearing capacity ).

On a side not I think its important to realise that two weeks on holiday in a country really doesnt give anyone a proper view of the place.

Ive also learned that american women are easy.

why dont we import those women, instead of the big fat ones that insist on stopping in the middle of grafton street.

Belgium, having more beers then days in the year, has very tasty and alcoholic beers indeed. But if you are looking to gulp down a yummy beer when stuffing your face full of brown bread, pickles and half a pig, i would go for geman (bitburger), cezh (pilsner urquell...apparently the first pilsner) or lativian (zelta...one of my all time favorites).

The costas in spain have high tourist crime on off-periods because a lot of the cops take holidays as they work pretty much non-stop during peak season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Kinshasa..bring a Glock

Lubumbashi..leave the safety catch off.

Tashkent..watch your back.

Mumbai.. ignore beggars

Dar Es Salaam..wear a condom

Entebbe..wear two

Luanda... good brandy(Lisboa)

Sydney.. Oxford St is best.

Minneapolis.. Don Pedros for best Mex.

Green Bay.. support the Pack and drink Milwaukee Gold

Myrtle Beach... sh itters are poor ..especially Murphy's Law.

Kinnegad...check your change

• Advertisement

oh and another thing....we want to maintain the good irish reputation, so if you get caught doing something bad say your english and talk about "fair ol' britannia"

plus i hear (from a beer expert in an ex-brotthel in prague) that it is tradition in the cezh republic to bring anything (eg. hard boiled sweets) to a distillary (they're all over the place) and have it distiltilled. beer distilled again turns it into rocket fuel and distilled pine leaves tastes of christmas...yummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Edinburgh...There are no Scottish people, only tourists, backpackers and students.
    Amsterdam...If you ignore the red light district and the drugs, it's actually a brilliant place
    Amsterdam...(and probably belgium too) Never, ever make a joke about their beer! Not even a light remark!
    Iran...Possibly the most friendly people you can meet (as long as you're not American). Prepare for parents to send kids over to you to practice their English.

And everywhere except Ireland and the UK...Redheads can get laid like there's no tomorrow!

zuutroy wrote:
    Allow me to correct you there: they are slightly less tolerent of people outside of amsterdam.
    Lived in Arnhem two years ago and it was horrible. Literally got ignored in restaurants when they saw we were English-speakers. Girlfriend got nothing but hassle from the gangs of dodgy lookin weirdos everywhere. People are AMAZINGLY conservative. Managed a month and had to leave. Independently verified by a mate who lived in a rural area near Eindhoven for 2 months.

What they don't like is tourists and english. since ive been there so many times i would recongise the odd person so its not that bad but when i go over i get the looks, the worst was i went into a small coffee shop far out from the dam it was the best coffee shop i have ever been in, a nice wooden chilled low lighting only a few big comfy chairs and some old dutch guys sitting in silence reading the paper. i didn't want to stay i knew the people i was with would wreck there heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

From visiting Ireland I've learned that it's so much better to work to live then it is to live to work.

Pepsi doesn't taste the same in Dublin as it does in Boston.

It's a shame to see so much trash spread over such a beautiful country as Ireland!

Children in Bermuda are very well behaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I've learnt that eating space cake beofre your flight home from Amsterdam is a whole load of fun!

Not much else though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭hardtrainer

A couple of things I've picked up over the years of travel...

It's been said before, but always, always make sure people know you are Irish and not British, makes a world of difference to the way you are treated. Seems like everyone hates the brits, even if they don't let them know that.

Ireland has an awful lot going for it, even if we don't always see it.

Some nationalities are never happy and always criticise everything. Avoid these people and see everything through your own eyes. Sure, listen to advice from travelers, but don't let it colour your judgement.

A couple of words in the local language go a VERY long way. If you don't know any, locals are always happy to teach (please and thankyou especially) and you will be treated much better. Apart from that, it's just a sign of respect.

An Irish passport has many, many advantages.

If you're staying for a long time, drink the water, but have some erythromycin and diarolyte to hand. Saves a lot of hassle in the long run and a couple of days of gastro isn't so bad for the peace of mind you get for the rest of your time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Canadian's and Americans are way more different then I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I learnt that the Irish are spoilt. The asians spend 12 hours a day working, 7 days a week, almost every week of the year and still manage to have a positive outlook on life. If we have to stay past 6pm, you'd never hear the end of it!

The only thing I've learnt from ever travelling is that while it's nice to temporarily change surrounding I'm a home bird and a bit afraid of change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

So many people think they are world travel savvy because they've been to prague, amsterdam, malaga and bangkok. Hardcore. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

JustCoz wrote:
    Canadian's and Americans are way more different then I thought.
    But it is fun to tell them that there is no difference between America and Canada. Same with Aussies and Kiwis.
    But then they always come back with Irish and English. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

That Venetians will not move to the side of the small calle you are both trying to walk down but will barge right down the middle. 3 days I spent doing the side step...........

That US Immigration Officials respond to tears in a very military manner & may flag you for searches in your connecting airport because of this.

The blocks in New York are very long ( even the short ones)

People in Canada do you 'eh' a lot.

That you can view the Southern US as divided racially as it was 200 years ago if you looked in the right places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

snb wrote:
    That Venetians will not move to the side of the small calle you are both trying to walk down but will barge right down the middle. 3 days I spent doing the side step...........

You've been to Venus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A couple of words in the local language go a VERY long way. If you don't know any, locals are always happy to teach (please and thankyou especially) and you will be treated much better. Apart from that, it's just a sign of respect.
    Seconded. Even something as simple as asking for a beer in their own language or saying thank you gets a smile in most places I've been. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

damn, farthest i went was Yorkshire and i agree with a previous poster, how drunk fellas will talk ****e for hours when they twig that your Irish

How i envy all ye that have visited so many places...

• Advertisement
Advertisement