Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Exchanges will be enabled?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Is it possible to find out if your telephone exchange is on the road map to be broadband enabled anytime soon.

Last year, having moved into a new house, I asked Eircom if the local exchange was going to be broadband enabled in the near future, as I wasn't going to bother with a land line if it wasn't (not that I told them that!).

I was told that it was due to be done over the summer (2006), so it being February at the time, I decided to order the phone line, hoping to be on DSL not later than early autumn.

Nearly a year later, and guess what, yep the exchange is still not enabled. I rang Eircom later in the year and was told that they now didn't know when it was going to be enabled.

The exchange in question is the Cope Cross exchange in Drogheda.

Very frustrating indeed. Digiweb are offering wirless up there, but I'm hearing very bad things about them and their customer service.

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

i live there too and i would recommend you forget about the Eircom option.

The last I heard is that it won't be enabled until Shannon homes completes the complex at the top of the road.

a rough guess - 2 years

edit: Digiweb, you should try them, but if you are into online gaming it might be a different story. My brother is on digiweb the other side of Drogheda and while the service is not great, he tells me the customer service is good. He still manages to play online aswell.

The mast for the digiweb service is in the farm just over the railway bridge right beside the estate, so maybe you might get a really good signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Wow. 2 years. Thats incredible. Are you in the Grange Rath estate?

Is that the set of houses being built beside the railway bridge?

The reason I am wary of DigiWeb, is that I was talking to my nextdoor neighbour over Christmas, and he had been onto Digiweb about getting it installed, but never heard from them again. He left everal voice message for their sales team, and they never got back to him. He was pretty pis*ed off about the customer service, and decided not to bother.

I find it incredible that there is a big demand for DSL broadband in the Colpe Cross area, (as well I'm sure other paces around the country) and Eircom just don't want to fill that need.

What other business would survive with that sort of philosophy? Any company worth its salt would be breaking their backs to fullfil a need like that. Thousands crying out for a product/service but Eircom not bothering to act. Incredible.

yep i'm grange rath nearly 4 years now.

I have broadband about 1 year.

the houses beside the railway bridge? , the mast for digiweb is just across the tracks in the farmhouse there.

I have found digiweb not bad but not great. they have always answered there phones when i called. My only problem with them is that they are very slow at installing equipment, mainly because they are very busy and have limited number of techs supporting large areas.

And as to the huge demand in colpe cross. Well I know in grange rath there will be close to 600ish houses. And as it stands now i would say 20-50 houses have broadband, either from Digiweb or Irishbroadband. I don't think it's enough demand for The Colpe Cross to have it's own exchange and Eircom won't upgrade just for 50 customers i guess.

Colpe is too far away from the Drogheda exchange which stops at Stameen and we are to far away from the Bettystown exchange. In the middle of everything but in the middle of nowhere.

maybe our only chance now is if one of the million euro houses is bought by some big wig who demands broadband and lines the pockets of certain individuals to get it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just to reask the question, is there a list of exchanges to be enabled?

eircom have a list of the next hundred I think to be enabled but what about the rest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The list of 100 is about all that remains to be done and will bring the total to 600 out of 1200 exchanges nationwide including subexchangesand by about end 2007 . So you are either done already or on this list.

If not on this list or done already then you will not be done unless Bertie pays for the DSL gear in the exchange !

Exchanges

Cavan
    Kilnaleck
    Mullagh
    Killeshandra

Clare
    Clonlara
    Tiermaclane
    Milltown Abbey

Cork
    Whitegate
    Castlemartyr
    Leap
    Cloyne
    Balineen
    Ballyclough
    Kildorrery
    Ballygarvan
    Timoleague
    Ballinaclashet
    Kilworth
    Doneraile
    Lombardstown

Donegal
    Raphoe
    Carrigart
    Convoy
    Mountcharles
    Muff
    Fahan
    Greencastle
    Quigleys Point
    Kilmacrenan
    Killygordon

Dublin
    Garristown

Galway
    Turloughmore
    Dunmore
    Rosscahill
    Monivea
    Kinvara

Kerry
    Lixnau

Kildare
    Carbury
    Nurney

Kilkenny
    Kilmacow
    Knocktopher
    Goresbridge
    Mullinavat
    Freshford

Letterkenny
    Manorcunningham

Limerick
    Rathkeale
    Patrickswell
    Pallaskenry
    Cratloe
    Cappamore
    Glin

Laois
    Rathdowney
    Durrow
    Ballylinan

Longford
    Ballymahon

Mayo
    Balla
    Kilkelly
    Louisburgh
    Ballindine
    Shrule
    Newport
    Charlestown

Meath

Summerhill
    Wilkinstown
    Julianstown
    Nobber
    Balrath

Monaghan
    Inniskeen

Offaly
    Rhode
    Kilcormac

Portlaoise
    Ballybrittas

Roscommon
    Frenchpark

Sligo
    Castlegarren
    Cliffony

Tipperary
    Kilsheelin
    Borrisoleigh
    Dundrum
    Ardfinnan
    Newcastle

Wicklow
    Roundwood
    Glendalough
    Dunlavin

Wexford
    Ferns
    Ballynabola
    Camolin
    Killurin
    Fethard
    Castlebridge
    Ballywilliam
    Broadway
    Killinick
    Duncormick

Westmeath

Killucan
    Castlepollard
    Tyrrellspass

Waterford
    Annestown
    Ardmore
    Aglish

• Advertisement

Thanks the list Sponge Bob,

Colpe Cross, not on the list :(

Which means we will never be done. :(

Grange rath is on the Drogheda exchange. And we are way to far from it to be broadband enabled :(

if everybody got Digiweb metro you would find that eircom would revise their priorities fairly sharpish , its happened all over :D

have ye TV cable ??

Sponge , it's not digiweb metro we get, it's their wireless service :(

also no cable tv :(

lots of sad faces.

Metro is coming to Drogheda sometime soon I can see that much from the comreg site .

no Drogheda does have metro, just we can't get it, because we are out of range :(

even more sad faces

• Advertisement

Shame the group broadband scheme was abolished and ye needing it badly 20 miles from Dublin. Why not write to Senator Shane Ross about it ??

I think alotwas done at the start to get BB into the estate. Even Net1 where going to provide cable BB. But the residence commitee did not want cables running accross the front of the houses :rolleyes: (don't ask)

And as for writing to senators. I don't think anybody is going to provide BB for 30 people in an estate.

IBB provide a beeze service but it is very limited due to LOS and only some houses can get it. theres more bad news in that i won't go into.

So the only viable option is Digiweb wireless, which i see from my brothers experience is expensive with high latency and packet loss.

thanks for info though Sponge.

I wonder where the OP went:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

whoopeee, Oulart (OLT exchange) Wexford WAS on the last list and never got done, and now it's not on this list.

UPGRADE MY EXCHANGE!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO RING YOU!!! I AM ONE, YOU WILL ASSIMILATE ME!!!

Thanks for the Info guys. Might give Digiweb a shout and see what they can offer.

I was hoping for DSL, but Ericom as usual are the barrier and not the enabler. What a joke.

Thanks for the Info guys. Might give Digiweb a shout and see what they can offer.

I was hoping for DSL, but Ericom as usual are the barrier and not the enabler. What a joke.

You never know, Eircom might surprise us all, stranger things have happened :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Spongebob, is your list of eschanges up-to-date?

When I enter my neighbours phone number (I have no POTS anymore) in several checkers, I get the answer that I am on Corrandulla exchange and can order ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bubonicus wrote:
    no Drogheda does have metro, just we can't get it, because we are out of range :(

even more sad faces

Was in Grange Rath recently fixing a Digiweb connection. Horribly slow for BB but I did get the impression that there were a lot of people, signing up to it. With an estate of that size and the new estate near it, there is more than a business case for doing something.

Incidentally Sponge Bob has Hackballscross (Dundalk) ever appeared on that list or is it due to?

corrundulla was done in 2006 and was on a small unreleased list along with kilcolgan craughwell and headford. their 2006 program was kept quiet so as not to give the wireless operators a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

so q-my exchance is not enabled.............and is not on list[ its Readypenny, Louth] and i cant get ANY bb in my area cept net 1[and its propery going to be a REALLY weak signal]......and they are the worst company ever been ringing for 7 months trying to get line of shight test,no sucess

if my echange not listed, when is it liokely to be upgraded at the VERY earliest?
    next year?

Advertisement