Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Vista a 64bit OS with 32bit legacy support?

• 31-01-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just a question, myself and 2 friends are going to be getting the 3 pack OEM Vista off dabs this week but we are between minds (well at logger heads really) on which OS to get. We've settled on Vista Home Premium (can't see us ever using the encryption of the Ultimate edition) but now we are argueing for either 32bit or 64bit.

so my question is, is Vista going to eventually phase out its 32bit edition in favour of 64bit (i.e. is the 64bit edition its flagship OS and will recieve the most WHQL's, updates, support and drivers)

Myself and one of the other guys are gamers and don't want to be stuck scouring the web for 64bit fixes everytime we buy a new game so would like to know whether there is any info to back up the need for 64bit and whether the industry is heading in that direction, or will they still be releasing 32bit DX10 games 2 years from now, with needed 64bit patches. Or will they be 64bit DX10 games with 32bit legacy support?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think it will be a while yet before 64 bit becomes dominant. Drivers for it are still sparse. Anyways, when you get your 32 bit version you can order a 64-bit dvd for a "minimal fee" from Microsoft. I reckon "minimal fee" is about 20 euros, judging by what they charge for the "free" upgrades from Windows XP to Vista given out with new PC's over the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You'll be wanting the 32-bit version if that's the case. Vista 64-bit does retain a 32-bit compatibility layer so most but not all apps work but drivers need to be 64-bit to work.

On top of that word is 64-bit Vista requires WHQL signed drivers, such drivers which are not too frequent in gaming circles. For example in case of a quick fix is needed for game x or y with a new driver means you would be waiting on a 64-bit system for the next official driver & that can be a long time with NVIDIA. {There is a way round this by enabling a boot menu which boots Vista 64 in a mode that allows unsigned drivers via a boot manager like Vista Boot Pro}

Application compatibility will still be another point of contention so it will be a good while before everything gets up to speed.

64-bit version has marginal benefits for most home users in a few special case scenarios it's better or for professional apps but there just isn't the demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hold..wait..stall the ball lads.. I had Vista64RC1 installed on my Vista ready monster pc and nothing worked on it, except for a brand new game I'd got, so I naturally assumed Vista was a pile of ****e and wiped it.

Would I have just been better off installing 32bit, would everything have worked?

I want to get Vista because dispite none of my old software not working (I couldn't even copy dvds like) it did seem to be faster than XP was in general use.

ScumLord wrote:
    Would I have just been better off installing 32bit, would everything have worked?

Yes you would have been better off installing the 32-bit version though remember that was a development build you installed in the first place.

Application compatibility is fairly high with the 32-bit version it will get even higher now that the final version is out and those apps that behave quirky get updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

Stephen wrote:
    I think it will be a while yet before 64 bit becomes dominant. Drivers for it are still sparse. Anyways, when you get your 32 bit version you can order a 64-bit dvd for a "minimal fee" from Microsoft. I reckon "minimal fee" is about 20 euros, judging by what they charge for the "free" upgrades from Windows XP to Vista given out with new PC's over the last few months.

Hey Stephen I have Vista Home Premium 32bit OEM version would it be possible for me to get the 64bit edition from Microsoft for the fee? Or does this not apply to OEM versions? Because next year I think I would like to upgrade to 64bit Vista

• Advertisement

cashman wrote:
    Hey Stephen I have Vista Home Premium 32bit OEM version would it be possible for me to get the 64bit edition from Microsoft for the fee? Or does this not apply to OEM versions? Because next year I think I would like to upgrade to 64bit Vista

OEM versions are sold separately vs the retail versions which combine 32/64 onto the disc.

I'm not sure the Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade system allows going from 32-bit to 64-bit I must check it out.

Just to reiterate the 64-bit version is of little benefit to home users it isn't faster than the 32-bit version, there is no well of untapped 64-bit performance on your 64-bit CPU waiting to be unlocked unless you run scientific/professional software (even then not too much). The only other thing 64-bit is good for is the large RAM support which is useful again in the professional arena such as graphics design artists using Photoshop etc.

Advertisement