Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pit Bulls are less likely to bite

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Danes wrote:
    A bite is a bite regardless of how it happens.

A dog who bites someone attacking its owner is also vicious?

come off it.

if someone annoys me enough i'll bite them, a dog will do the same. don't annoy a dog and it won't hurt you.
    common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

nala wrote:
    The law says that ALL dogs should be on a lead when in a public place.
    deaddonkey wrote:
    no it doesn't. Don't write about what you don't know.

yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It doesn't say anything there about a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I wonder if you are misunderstanding on purpose? If your dog bites someone you can be obliged by law to have it PTS. The law doesnt care if someone frightened or hurt your dog first. Your dog is now labelled aggressive, however unfair it seems. Why would you leave your dog open to this danger? A loose dog is at risk in many ways, they could spook and run into traffic causing injury to themselves and others. They are a danger to cyclists and a pain in the a*** to people walking their dogs on leads. Maybe your dog is so well trained that this will never happen in your case but in many cases, unleashed dogs in public places are a hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Loose dogs are also a problem for guide dogs as they have been known to attack them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

I, like a lot of others here, am a dog owner. In fact we have two dogs. In fact I have almost always had a dog of some kind. I like them around, some people don't. I find it amazing how the powers that be can have such a narrow field view when it comes to issues like 'dog biting people incidents' no matter what breed or mix of breed is involved in a biting, THE OWNER IS RESPONSIBLE. simple as that.

A well researched fact: Generally small terrier type dogs are more likely to bite indiscriminately ie Jack Russells/Norfolk/Yorkshire, causing little damage due to their size, these would be followed by herding type dogs like border collies, roughhaired collies, these breeds can become neurotic because of frustration/under exercise followed closely by german shepards rottweilers, doberman pincers, neurotic labradors and retrievers and spaniels, the problems with the working breeds ie field dogs is they are owned by people in urban settings and do not have the correct life style for the breed these dogs ideally should have 6-12 miles exercise EVERYDAY no wonder they feel like biting someone.
    Dog owners are responsible for their dogs behavior, just as car owners are responsible for their cars behaviour.
    I owned a Boxer for 10 years and she was a beautiful gentle dog, she LOVED children, yet these breeds are on the restricted list, almost.
    Currently I own 2 Westies now which are sweet little dogs, not a patch on our old boxer though, and can be a tad uptight and nervous.

About 8 years ago my daughter, who was 4 at the time was badly bitten on the face by the dog of a friend of the family, a Springer Spaniel. She received 17 stitches to her little face. The dog was neurotic, urban garden no exercise. My daughter had not provoked the dog in any way. This incident didn't make it to the media, thank god. The dog wasn't at fault, the owner was. They should not have had such a dog in a closed environment. The dog was destroyed which was probably the easiest solution. Though I believe the owner should have been prosecuted, and banned from owning a dog in the future.

What is the real problem here. Well it's a familiar one:

Some people just don't care.

That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Danes wrote:
    The law doesnt care if someone frightened or hurt your dog first. Your dog is now labelled aggressive, however unfair it seems. Why would you leave your dog open to this danger? A loose dog is at risk in many ways, they could spook and run into traffic causing injury to themselves and others. They are a danger to cyclists and a pain in the a*** to people walking their dogs on leads. Maybe your dog is so well trained that this will never happen in your case but in many cases, unleashed dogs in public places are a hazard.

Sounds like you could be describing young ppl on a saturday too!:eek:
    How tragic!

I put my GSD on the lead IF necessary!
    He is very well trained but I am aware that ppl do fear him so I do it for their sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

About 8 years ago my daughter, who was 4 at the time was badly bitten on the face by the dog of a friend of the family, a Springer Spaniel. She received 17 stitches to her little face. The dog was neurotic, urban garden no exercise. My daughter had not provoked the dog in any way. This incident didn't make it to the media, thank god. The dog wasn't at fault, the owner was. They should not have had such a dog in a closed environment. The dog was destroyed which was probably the easiest solution. Though I believe the owner should have been prosecuted, and banned from owning a dog in the future.

:( Really sorry to hear that.
    Hope your Daughter has recovered from it!

Advertisement