Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pugs and Anaesthetic

Options
  • 31-01-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I am due to get my male pug neutered soon but I am quite anxious as pugs have a tendency to react badly to some types of anaesthetics.

I mentioned this to my vet but she quickly passed it off as nonsense :mad: but I have done a lot of reading and research before I even bought my dog 4 years ago.
    The brachycephalic's windpipe may be dangerously narrowed in places. This condition creates tremendous anesthetic risk and should be ruled out by chest radiographs prior to any surgical procedures. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_brachycephalic.html

Does anyone have reccomendations for a vet's clinic in Dublin that have dealt with brachycephalic dogs before, i.e. pugs, bulldogs, shih tzus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Just_Ask_Alice

There really shouldn't be a problem. I did a stint of work experience with my local vet before and in that time I saw many dogs with similar problems to pugs, (bull dog, boxer etc.) under anaestetic. You do notice when they are waking up that they sound as though they are having difficulty breathing but it is very common and not a problem.

I really don't think you should worry, however you should contact a few different vets for their opinions if it would make you feel more assured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

All vets know what a brachycephalic dog is and the related issues during anesthesia. Its something you learn about from very early on in anatomy and features strongly in all anaesthesia teaching!

Vets anaesthetise these type of dogs every day. Boxers and Cavaliers are incredibly common pets and pugs aren't that unusual either. Perhaps the vet thought you were saying they actually react badly to particular anaesthetic drugs - they don't actually react differently to any anaesthetic drugs at all it's just that they have a poor respiratory capacity overall, in general life and obviously, therefore, under anaesthetic.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. But obviously if you are not confident with your vet you should find a second opinion.

Advertisement