Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star charts/mapping calculations - Maths!

Options
  • 31-01-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a programmer with an interest in science and astronomy. I am thinking about making a basic astronomy program which generates star charts based on the current viewing location on Earth and the time and date. I have a fairly good idea how to do this already but I would like to do a bit of reading first to make sure I'm starting in the right direction! Initially, I am just going to concentrate on mapping the stars and the path of the Sun (and possibly moon) about the sky. I will tackle the planets and possibly other solar system objects at a later date.
    Anyway, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good book or website which illustrates the type of mathematical formulae and procedures that can be used for such a program.
    Thanks

PS - I know there are hundreds of astronomy programs out there but I am interested in doing this as a hobby more than anything else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

hmm, I thought someone would have replied to you by now.

i had a quick search on google and the only thing i could find was a page on calculating the position of the sun

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/uses-math/position.sun/

it might be a start for you.

unfortunately, our workplace blocks a lot of pages so i couldn't find much else.

interesting project, what language are you going to write it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Hi SonOfPerdition,

Thanks for that link. I had a quick look and it looks promising (hopefully just the type of data I was lookin for!). I'll get stuck into it when I get home later..

I am using Java and will probably keep the star data, etc in a mysql database (just because it's what I know best). Will keep you posted on the progress and probably further questions in the coming weeks/months on this thread.

Thanks again,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

If you decide to get into this in a more serious way, I'd recommend Astronomical Algorithms by Jean Meeus

http://www.obliquity.com/astro/meeus.html

Very good book, I use it myself.

Thanks Zirconia! (Sorry, just noticed your reply now!)

That book looks perfect despite leaving me with that "What have I gotten myself into?" feeling :eek:

Don't suppose you happen to know if there are any bookshops around Dublin that might stock it? It's £40 STG from amazon plus £5 postage (total €66). It's only $29.95 USD from Willmann Bell but the delivery to Ireland is an... ahem.. astronomical $50 (sorry, couldn't resist that worn out pun!).
    I'll probably just order it online if I don't find it elsewhere but I'd rather not spend so much on postage/Amazon markup.

Thanks again..
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Dr Pepper wrote:
    That book looks perfect despite leaving me with that "What have I gotten myself into?" feeling :eek:
    Yea, I thought that myself - like most things, it's not as simple as you first think it is
    Don't suppose you happen to know if there are any bookshops around Dublin that might stock it?
    Sorry - don't know, but I doubt that you can get it locally in Dublin. I ordered mine a few years ago, so I can't remember how much it was, but I think I ordered it through Amazon direct from the US. If you get good use out of it though, it's well worth the money.

Another one worth considering if you take this to a higher level is the Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac but this is even more complex as it describes the equations and algorithims used to keep track of all the major bodies by those in the Astronomy profession.

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone else is looking for this book, I ordered it from amazon.com for $29.95 USD plus postage of about $8 USD.

Makes you wonder how amazon.co.uk (the same company?) can get away with charging £39.95 GBP ($78 USD) for the same book (good old reliable human greed.. Ba$t@rds!!) [/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

could you post a link to the book Pepper? The server here in work is blocking the link Zirconia posted.

No problem..
    The description on the publisher's website is here.
    The book is available from amazon.com for $29.95 here

Advertisement