Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My eircom nightmare.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just to update on this,ever since eircom got their finger out and upgraded the exchange im getting rock solid performance at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Lucky you!!!

Thanks for linking to this BTW.

I would still be annoyed if the contention went up, and my throughput dropped. As far as I'm concerned, I'm paying for a 2meg ADSL line, end of story.

In fact, its being sold as ADSL, but it is in fact rate adaptive. This has been proved by myself when my connection speeds drop to standard lower rates. i.e. checking my router and it sometimes has switched to 512kb/s

I however, have noticed that even though my pings are skyrocketing (200-300ms+ making online gaming impossible), my thoughput mostly remains constant, 200-216Kb/s.

Its a very annoying issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Lucky you!!!

Thanks for linking to this BTW.

I would still be annoyed if the contention went up, and my throughput dropped. As far as I'm concerned, I'm paying for a 2meg ADSL line, end of story.

In fact, its being sold as ADSL, but it is in fact rate adaptive. This has been proved by myself when my connection speeds drop to standard lower rates. i.e. checking my router and it sometimes has switched to 512kb/s

I however, have noticed that even though my pings are skyrocketing (200-300ms+ making online gaming impossible), my thoughput mostly remains constant, 200-216Kb/s.

Its a very annoying issue.

No you are not paying for a 2 meg ADSL line ''end of story'' you are paying for speeds up to 2Mb.

And as for the product being rate adaptive:

From the Eircom website:
    These speeds are not guaranteed as eircom broadband is rate adaptive i.e. a distance dependant technology.

dub45 wrote:
    No you are not paying for a 2 meg ADSL line ''end of story'' you are paying for speeds up to 2Mb.

And as for the product being rate adaptive:

From the Eircom website:

True, "distance dependant" like every other BB connection, especially via a phone connection.

Considering I live literally down the road from my nearest exchange, anything less than rated speed is a rip off.

I have no idea why you seem to want to defend a company that cannot even supply the service which it advertises, and blatantly overloads its own exchanges.

When I ordered BB from Eircom (circa mid 2005) there was no reference to being 'rate adaptive'. Thats the contract I signed up to and paid for, not their subsequent amendments.

Fact of the matter is, to have pings of 300ms+ to local (Eire & UK) servers at that latency is ridiculous.

True, "distance dependant" like every other BB connection, especially via a phone connection.

Considering I live literally down the road from my nearest exchange, anything less than rated speed is a rip off.

I have no idea why you seem to want to defend a company that cannot even supply the service which it advertises, and blatantly overloads its own exchanges.

When I ordered BB from Eircom (circa mid 2005) there was no reference to being 'rate adaptive'. Thats the contract I signed up to and paid for, not their subsequent amendments.

Fact of the matter is, to have pings of 300ms+ to local (Eire & UK) servers at that latency is ridiculous.

No I am not defending Eircom at all but everyone (or nearly everyone) knows that dsl is a contended product and by its very nature has other limitations.

Neither Eircom nor its resellers promise or have ever promised the full speed.

• Advertisement

Finglas East, as I deduced in an earlier post, which I know is around 1 mile from me. (I confirmed with a friend of mine who is an Eircom tech which exchange I'm connected to)

By any chance are you an Eircom employee? Or do you just like being argumentative?

If you've read any of my posts on the topic (over 2 threads) you'd realise I have no proiblem with my throughput, merely my ping times, which have increased 10 fold within the past month or so.

I'm not the only one with the same problem, or even the only one on the same exchange with the problem

Working off a contended line should not mean I should suffer the pings that I am, unless the exchange is severely over loaded. That is an Eircom problem, and means it makes my expected, ordinary (gaming) use of the line impossible.

Finglas East, as I deduced in an earlier post, which I know is around 1 mile from me. (I confirmed with a friend of mine who is an Eircom tech which exchange I'm connected to)

By any chance are you an Eircom employee? Or do you just like being argumentative?

If you've read any of my posts on the topic (over 2 threads) you'd realise I have no proiblem with my throughput, merely my ping times, which have increased 10 fold within the past month or so.

I'm not the only one with the same problem, or even the only one on the same exchange with the problem

Working off a contended line should not mean I should suffer the pings that I am, unless the exchange is severely over loaded. That is an Eircom problem, and means it makes my expected, ordinary (gaming) use of the line impossible.

I am not an Eircom employee - I am merely pointing out that you are making unjustified criticisms of the bb product - I cannot for the life of me see how that equates to defending Eircom. You have produced no evidence whatsoever that the exchange is overloaded (thats not to say it either is or isn't) just that you have produced no evidence. For instance where is your evidence for your statement that 'Eircom blatantly overload its own exchanges'

Eircom (or any of the resellers) afaik make no claims or guarantees about ping performance so where do you get your 'expectations' for game performance?

dub45 wrote:
    I am not an Eircom employee - I am merely pointing out that you are making unjustified criticisms of the bb product - I cannot for the life of me see how that equates to defending Eircom. You have produced no evidence whatsoever that the exchange is overloaded (thats not to say it either is or isn't) just that you have produced no evidence. For instance where is your evidence for your statement that 'Eircom blatantly overload its own exchanges'

Eircom (or any of the resellers) afaik make no claims or guarantees about ping performance so where do you get your 'expectations' for game performance?

Expected use = being able to play games online.
    I cannot do this at peak times due to the ping being too high.

My own evidence, showing the ping times increasing substantially at peak times (and others evidence in this thread and others) all point to the fact Eircom are overloading their exchanges.

Have you even read this thread?? (I notice you've only tagged on at the end, apart from your director of consumer affairs comment)

BTW, thanks for all your helpful input, moron. You're obviously in no way technically savvy enough to be having an imput in this debate. And if you are, you're certainly doing a great job of hiding it.

Expected use = being able to play games online.
    I cannot do this at peak times due to the ping being too high.

My own evidence, showing the ping times increasing substantially at peak times (and others evidence in this thread and others) all point to the fact Eircom are overloading their exchanges.

Have you even read this thread?? (I notice you've only tagged on at the end)

BTW, thanks for all your helpful input, moron.

I am asking you what you base your gaming expectations on and I am pointing out to you that Eircom give no guarantees in respect of ping performance.

Where is the evidence apart from a stream of irrational posts by your good self? Eircom are the biggest isp in the country if they were overloading their exchanges on a regular basis boards.ie would be flooded with posts about slow speeds. Whereas given the actual number of Eircom customers there is a remarkable absence of such posts.

The only recent evidence on here of an exchange being overloaded is that of Monasterevin.

dub45 wrote:
    I am asking you what you base your gaming expectations on and I am pointing out to you that Eircom give no guarantees in respect of ping performance.

Where is the evidence apart from a stream of irrational posts by your good self? Eircom are the biggest isp in the country if they were overloading their exchanges on a regular basis boards.ie would be flooded with posts about slow speeds. Whereas given the actual number of Eircom customers there is a remarkable absence of such posts.

The only recent evidence on here of an exchange being overloaded is that of Monasterevin.

Well, instead of harping on, why dont you actually check the tracert and ping results on this very thread?

Then check here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055077789

A post which you already enlightened with more of your valuable input.

• Advertisement

Well, instead of harping on, why dont you actually check the tracert and ping results on this very thread?

Then check here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055077789

A post which you already enlightened with more of your valuable input.

You mean where I pointed out to you that the figures you were quoting from your router were related to line quality and had nothing whatsoever to do with contention?

And the very thread where two of you - shock horror! - yes two posters are having ping problems - that's massive evidence indeed that Eircom are overloading their exchanges and scamming everyone. Lets start a campaign based on the 'contention' figures from your router to get Comreg to close Eircom down before the weekend!!

dub45 wrote:
    You mean where I pointed out to you that the figures you were quoting from your router were related to line quality and had nothing whatsoever to do with contention?

And the very thread where two of you - shock horror! - yes two posters are having ping problems - that's massive evidence indeed that Eircom are overloading their exchanges and scamming everyone. Lets start a campaign based on the 'contention' figures from your router to get Comreg to close Eircom down before the weekend!!

You really are an arrogant fool. Bet you dont like losing arguments.

Actually, the figures I pointed out to you were my line contention during the time the issue was affecting me, and the 2 of us posting are on the same exchange and are experiencing the same problem at the same times.

Really, educate yourself and stop trying to be a know-it-all twat.

You really are an arrogant fool. Bet you dont like losing arguments.

Actually, the figures I pointed out to you were my line contention during the time the issue was affecting me, and the 2 of us posting are on the same exchange and are experiencing the same problem at the same times.

Really, educate yourself and stop trying to be a know-it-all twat.

The figures you quoted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53086859&postcount=4http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53086859&postcount=4

give details about your line quality and have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You really are an arrogant fool.
    Oh the irony!

Dublin_Gunner banned anyway. Thread closed as Dcully was kind enough to update us on the matter and good news that it's sorted.

Advertisement