Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Night/Light Sensor

Options
  • 31-01-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    we have an outside light beside our front door that I would like to add a light sensor to so that its only on at night.
    I seem to be unable to fine ones that are not also movement sensors (which I dont want)
    anyone know where I could source one of these?

Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

There is a "solar" sensor called a photo...something or other which is what you're looking for and it would be available from an electrical trade shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah, a Photoelectric Sensor, basically an LDR in an outdoor casing.
    But the only ones I can find seem very industrial and also expensive.
    I figure if I can buy a light in B&Q for €30 that has an LDR and a PIR built in surely I can get an LDR sensor for less!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

My recollection is that they're about €30.

All I will say is that whenever I have fitted the cheaper lights, PIRs etc you get in B&Q and the likes, they normally don't last much over the year.

By fitting the proper stuff, it'll do its job for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with the cost, in or around 30 euro, then just get a halogen with no sensor for about 7 euro.
    This will do the biz, I know they dont look great and as you are aware you dont have to put them beside the light!!
    I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I've never seen a budget one with this feature.

I actually already have two halogens that have sensors (photo and infrared)
    what I really want to do is attach a standalone photo sensor to the "nice" light that is above the front door.
    Right now it sits on all day so that its on when we get home at night.
    I just want it to be switched on but only come in when its dark...

Thx!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i've fitted rectangular bulkheads with a small built in photocell .you might be able to buy a small threaded photocell on a flylead or a fitting with one .CEF would be a good bet for that or a catalog

I got one in B&Q for €25 and it seems to work fine.
    Thx!

Advertisement