Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bye bye CM Punk

• 31-01-2007 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

While CM Punk's initial months with WWE were plagued by heat from a few key members of the WWE power bloc, he now has heat with much of the lockerroom, the Wrestling-Observer Newsletter reports.

Management received multiple complaints from wrestlers who claimed that Punk carries a "main-event" attitude backstage despite being relatively new to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Sources say that Punk doesn't say or do anything inherently disrespectful, but his sarcastic attitude is not well-received by a lockerroom that does not believe he's earned the right to possess such an attitude.

The Observer adds that his relationship with Maria does not help his standing in the lockerroom.

gah this kind of crap that goes on backstage in WWE just really pisses me off - talk about the glass ceiling in effect - just what the hell is a "main event" attitude - the confidence in your own abilities - well CM Punk can easily say that he has more wrestling talent then the current WWE champions have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

and he lost to matt striker. how much lower can it get!! :)

think he might be better suited in smackdown as opposed to raw if he did jump, or TNA, if he jumped hard enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

TBH I kind of saw this coming. The whole reason I startred liking Punk was his because of his arrogance in ROH (best title run ever!!) and I knew he would carry this on into WWE. He is the most over guy in ECW so he really has a right to show some cockyness, but clearly he is rubbing people up the wrong way.
    I can't see him going to TNA cos of the way they treated him last time, and in this weeks observer it basically says that WWE will block any escape route he has to prevent him becoming a star anywhere else.
    What to now for CM Punk? I cant see a move to Smackdown changing peoples opinions of him, and from what I've read about the guy, he doesn't see like the kind to swallow his pride and change his ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's all politics which is a real shame. I wager he is nowhere near as cocky as Randy Orton has been but he has stroke backstage and Punk doesn't.

Instead of pushing guys that are already over the WWE likes to push guys when they see fit.

RVD should have been pushed in 2001 when he was super over. Likewise Christian was hugely over in mid-2005 but nothing was done with him. If Creative haven't made you popular then they simply won't push you.

Matt Hardy on SD and Carlito on Raw are two more guys who are over with the audience but who haven't been put in top programs.

Unless you're a bulky meathead or tight with the McMahons then you're unlikely to get over in the near future.

And what pisses me off is that they often start moaning about not having stars along the likes of Rock or Austin any more.

How can there be when you ignore the guys the fans react to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

To be honest its all bull!! Right if you cant have confidence in your ablities then what??? Punk has every right to be cocky!! he's done more in his wrestling career than most of the superstars on the wwe roster(exceptions being Michaels, HHH, Undertaker etc.) it's killin me to watch ecw at the moment! i know after december to dis-appointment i vowed not to watch ecw again but my fav 2 wrestlers in WWE - RVD & Punk - are only on this sh!t and now there putting every other wrestler over them!! there makin Holly look great and givin him a push now - with so much potential there with younger superstars - they give holly a push!! sickening!!!

Think its time both were let go or change shows - there just wasted!! Always wanted to see a Punk/Edge Fued or Punk/Beniot but its wishful thinking

Please Please God let WWE Release both RVD & Punk and see ya on TNA!! (Prays really hard!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gus chiggins

When are people going to learn that guys like cm punk, matt hardy, rvd, etc will never be used properly cause their not 300 pounds and 6 foot 4, thats all vince cares about, i personally stopped watching wwe 3 months ago and have switched to the competition, TNA all the way man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

When are people going to learn that guys like cm punk, matt hardy, rvd, etc will never be used properly cause their not 300 pounds and 6 foot 4, thats all vince cares about, i personally stopped watching wwe 3 months ago and have switched to the competition, TNA all the way man!

C.M punk debuted at the hammersmith went unbeaten for months put in a tag match with dx at survivor series and in the m.e at d2d

Matt Hardy had a feud in 02 with taker where he won several matches and was paired up with the wwe champion

RVD was given the wwe world title at ons2 in front of the ecw fans in new york

all these guys were actually given fairly decent pushes until they went an wrecked it for themselves punk with his cocky attitude hardy by acting like a little bitch about lita and rvd with the drugs scenario. the fact is that in any job if you are given a position of power and you abuse it you wont be given it again. these guys screwed themselves and they have noone else to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

C.M punk debuted at the hammersmith went unbeaten for months put in a tag match with dx at survivor series and in the m.e at d2d

Thanks to the booking of Paul Heyman who believed strongly in him and who has since been removed. Heyman of course has a history of pushing guys who aren't simply 6 foot bulky meatheads.
    Matt Hardy had a feud in 02 with taker where he won several matches and was paired up with the wwe champion

Huh? Sure you don't mean Jeff Hardy? I know Matt was given a pinfall victory at one point on SD over The Undertaker but I find it hard to believe you regard that as a feud.

Besides, Matt is over NOW so why you are citing stuff from five years ago I do not know.

Indeed he was - FIVE YEARS after his initial debut where he was more over than he was in 2006.
    all these guys were actually given fairly decent pushes until they went an wrecked it for themselves

Matt wasn't given a fairly decent push, in fact he was buried almost immediately upon his return. Punk's fairly decent push was down to one guy's support while RVD's 'fairly decent' push was years too late. Hardly a compelling argument...
    punk with his cocky attitude hardy by acting like a little bitch about lita and rvd with the drugs scenario. the fact is that in any job if you are given a position of power and you abuse it you wont be given it again. these guys screwed themselves and they have noone else to blame.

What are you talking about? Did you forget Hardy was fired because of Edge and Lita's relationship? You regard him complaining about that as "acting like a little bitch"? Him complaining and the support he achieved is what caused him to be brought back in the first place. It doesn't explain why he wasn't utilised properly.

And how come Orton's cocky attitude hasn't seen him lose a position of power? Judging by accounts of his behaviour he's in a league of his own. And JBL has a history of arrogant displays backstage and he still holds a position of power.

As for RVD's drugs scenario, the WWE were often making light of his fondness for 'getting high' (remember those promos in his ECW title run?) and they even had a shirt out making fun of it.

Please don't make out that the WWE is some morally just organisation that was appalled at Van Dam's behaviour. The only thing they were appalled at was the fact he was caught and made their company look bad.

Politics is what it's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

When are people going to learn that guys like cm punk, matt hardy, rvd, etc will never be used properly cause their not 300 pounds and 6 foot 4, thats all vince cares about

I thought they might've changed their ways when Eddie and Benoit walked out of WM three years ago as champs, but it still goes to show that they'll push guys like them and Shawn Michaels if they think they've earned it. They obviously don't think Punk has earned anything, although being so talented should be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

all these guys were actually given fairly decent pushes until they went an wrecked it for themselves punk with his cocky attitude hardy by acting like a little bitch about lita and rvd with the drugs scenario. the fact is that in any job if you are given a position of power and you abuse it you wont be given it again. these guys screwed themselves and they have noone else to blame.

I can see your point. I don't think its bullet proof but I can see where your going.

There's obviously politics behind alot of it but generally in the WWE, if they think you have the makings of a top, top guy and your talented they will push you. And they have done it with guys who kind of fall into the CM Punk bracket ie. the guys who aren't 6ft5 250lbs.

i'm not saying that there isn't an obvious bias for a certain look and size but guys like Shawn Michaels, Owen Hart, Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit and Rey all got a run to the top for varying lengths. You could argue that some of them got their push too late but in the end they did get it.

CM Punk is always been likened to top top guys (Austin, Micheals etc..). If he proves to be that good, I think he'll make it. If he doesn't, he won't.

To be honest from watching his matches on ECW in the last month, I can see why they have doubts. His matches have been poor. He's obviously an extremely talented guy from watching ROH but if your not consistently doing it week in week out, they are not gonna push you to the moon. Just ask Carlito.

I think its still early days for CM Punk though. Not too many guys of his size came in off the bat and were made top guys. Micheals wasn't. Owen Hart wasn't. Guererro certainly wasn't. The list goes on.

So time will tell I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I dont like wrestling but Im a huge MMA fan and I was with my nephew watchin WWE the other day and the claimed that that CM Punk guy was an MMA fighter.I dont know what they're doing cos he never fought in MMA before,hasent got a ridiculous record and does not wrestle like an MMA fighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I dont like wrestling but Im a huge MMA fan and I was with my nephew watchin WWE the other day and the claimed that that CM Punk guy was an MMA fighter.I dont know what they're doing cos he never fought in MMA before,hasent got a ridiculous record and does not wrestle like an MMA fighter

That's just WWE insulting their fans' intelligence, as they do quite a bit. I don't think I've ever even heard of Punk training in martial arts. I doubt he'd be much use in MMA at all, but wrestling's his game and he's one of the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Well punk has stated that with 6 months dedicated training he would be fit enough for MMA ,which i can nearly belive.
    well more than Angle beating Ortiz anyway, cuz thats just stupid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

maybe my earlier point went the wrong way. all i was trying to say was that the 3 guys that were named were all given chances and for whatever reason never broke through. rvd in 2001 was as over as anybody ive ever seen however his style was a bit too reckless. It was fine in ecw when you were working 3/4 times a month but on a wwe schedule his style was never gonna work. matt hardy had that run in 2002 maybe 03 where he was trying to prove to heyman that he shouldve been lesnars partner, just before the taker/lesnar hitc match. he wasn't fired because of the affair just because he went on his website and "poured his heart out". as far as punk goes he actually managed to turn around both hhh and hbk but his cocky attitude isnt helping him. as vince said wwe does (occasionaly) push small guys but anybody who thinks matt hardy can carry a multi-million dollar company is a bit silly. as far as punk goes if he followed his own advice and went around with his mouth shut and his ears open he will go far but i have a feeling he will start speaking up and will soon end up on raw (just so they can put him on heat)

Advertisement