Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building on a small extension

Options
  • 31-01-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We are planning on building on an extension to the rear of our property roughly 17ft x 9ft. As far as i understand we do not need planning as it is within the limits. i have never taken on a project like this. Where do i start, quotes from builders, engineers? I have no idea how much to expect this to cost would i be correct saying 15k? any words of advice or help on where to start and what to expect would be much appreciated. I live in Cork by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will need a plan for the builders to work from. Most builders will only give you an estimate based on a plan.

You probably dont need permission but there are certain conditions that need to be adhered to to ensure that the extension is exempt from planning. Have a look at this.

Bear in mind too that although you may not require PP you will have to ensure that the works comply with building regs. So get a plan drawn first by someone competent.

Shop around then for a few estimates and do a wee bit of homework on the people giving you the estimates.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Advertisement