Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 31-01-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Hi folks bit of a dilemma here. My mother and partner bought a Laika 700 campervan last summer and have it insured with AXA using dolmen insurance brokers. Yesterday I attempted to get insured on it as a named driver but was refused because I am not 27 until september this year. Apparently the cutoff is 27+ years for males and 26+ years for females. So in effect because of my sex I am inellgiable for insurance under the current policy.

My questions are:

Can they legitimately do this?

What are other fellow campervan owners out there insured with?

Appreciate all the help folks, was hoping to head away for the weekend in her but apparently 9years no claims and a full licence stretching back to 2000 isint good enough for these guys :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bummer !

Can they legally do this? Insurance companies seem to get away with all sorts of strange conditions as long as they back it up with some statistic on risk etc ...ask any young male driver :mad:

As far as i know (can't look it up right now) I'm currently insured with Hibernian via Stuart insurances and if I remember correctly their age limit is 25 regardless of sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Thats the problem peasant, im not sure if legally they can! I was thinking of getting the insurance ombudsman involved, just dont know how to set the ball rolling.

Will have a look at stuart insurance, my car is currently insured with hibernian but when I asked them could I transfer the insurance onto the campervan for the weekend they refused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I have and open drive policy with Dolmen and it is restricted to 30+ with a clean licence.

Advertisement