Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse Stamp Duty -More info

Options
  • 31-01-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Well dont know if this is the right forum for this but I think it is a big issue. "Revenue acts on abuse of stamp duty relief
    Thousands of property owners could face fines or other penalties as a result of a Revenue clampdown on abuse of stamp duty relief. The Revenue exercise is targeting individuals availing of owner-occupier stamp duty relief who rent out their properties within five years of purchase."
    Found this in the times after reading about the Nigerian Asylum seekers social welfare fraud in the Indo. So what I always knew is happening. We pay taxes and this goes to irish people who pretend to be living there and default on their taxes and then the rest of our cash goes to people pretending to be suffering persecution while mainly persecuting our hard earned taxes to pay a mainly indigneous population who are scamming us also. Most of the people who bought where I live have stayed there for a year and then rented to Nigerians on rent relief. This need to be stopped. How the state can let this happen is unreal - do they not have databases in the gov department to cross reference things.?? There is nothing yet on the revenue website for this but I will keep an eye out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh dear, I think you really are desparate if you are connecting the two of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

same old tired arcadegame mantra. give it up ya flake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ye lads are alot like rte - see no evil hear no evil. And people wonder why, the M50 is the way it is and kids cant buy houses - corruption is inter-related ye (mm can I say ejjits on this forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

the M50 is the way it is

...because of Nigerians?
    And people wonder why kids cant buy houses

and move away from mammy? Maybe because kids can't legally sign contracts perhaps?

Lads they reckon Social welfare and immigration officials have saved an estimated €25m in taxpayers' money from the rent and claiming from abroad scam - Do ye care? Probably not! Do I care, yes I do. My question is not how much as been saved but how much has been lost and is still being scammed and how much is being lost thru this stamp duty abuse. Perhap ye know who is doing it - perhaps ye no nothing in your closeted existence. However I think people should do something about it like contacting revenue on suspected cases. Open your eyes and you will see.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Contact the revenue on suspected cases? But they're the enemy ;) Is there some sort of reward for reporting it? Like an envelope under the table....tax free......if there is I'm there!!!!

Dodgyme, while they're going after the foreign nationals, why not go after Irish people who are scamming the system? Bit of a joke really......€25mil, sure what'll that get the taxpayer? Another jet for Bertie maybe :rolleyes:

MadSL - stop saying I said things that I didnt. The M50 is the way it is because of corruption. When I say kids cant buy house I mean young people upto say for example 30. People with perhaps some maturity unlike yourself. Now off you go to look at my other posts and reply to me that I am not mature and remember to use a quote and bastardise it a good bit for a response.:D

Kenny absolutely go after the irish scammers - I would say the most people who abuse stamp duty by pretending to be owner -occupiers are irish and they should be persued

M50 is full of corruption? Don't you mean traffic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

From the sublime to the ridiculous,

come on lads back on topic,

let's get the torches and pitchforks out and get after the foreign nationals errr scammers I meant.

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote:
    Kenny absolutely go after the irish scammers - I would say the most people who abuse stamp duty by pretending to be owner -occupiers are irish and they should be persued

I'd rather see them go after people who are trying to milk the system from social welfare when they're going out to work anyway. Too much of this going on.

I didn't read the article on the first time buyers renting out their property, how exactly do they plan on catching them? It's a hard area to police and let's not forget this is a self assessment tax so if you don't want to pay it you don't have to but you shall feel the wrath if you/when you get caught.

Well Kenny, you are the only one bothering to think that money being scammed from the tax payer is actually a semi-serious issue unlike the previous poster who when hears the work scammer starts in a frenzy with the pitch forks analogy.

Of course I think it's an issue but I think that there's other issues out there that should have precedence.

Overhaul of the dole system. Granted we've low unemployment but there's still a high level of people out there who are working whilst claiming the dole.....and to add to your point....may even be claiming rent allowance as well.

Maybe the country needs a system like the one proposed in the UK, where all government departments are linked together.

An overhaul is needed alright. But the uk are having trouble with their home office reforms at the moment. We need to demand more of an inefficient government to stop bogus asylum seekers and tax fraud in the housing market

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with this forum.
    Closed and Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement