Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ingearán

• 31-01-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I came across 'ingearán' in Foinse a couple of weeks ago in an article about Tory island. I think it means helicopter but I couldn't find it any dictionaries. If it is, does anyone know how widely it is used? I think it is a much better word than 'héileacaptar' since it describes a helicopter's ability to fly vertically.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What was the context of the sentance? Gearán means complaint. I use focal.ie and enlishirishdictionary.com to find words, couldnt find it there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

it does mean helicopter! just typed it into google! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Ingearán does indeed mean helicopter; it comes from "ingear" meaning perpendicular or vertical. It's quite widely used (I remember it being used on a TG4 documentary about the IRA helicopter jailbreak from Mountjoy), but I can imagine you might have to explain the word to a lot of people.

Advertisement