Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it safe to enter your credit card number in an internet cafe?

• 31-01-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I have to do something but was wondering if its dodgy entering your number in an interne cafe.

Could people or even the ones who run it use it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yes. Completely safe.

If your not sure just PM the number to me and I'll make sure your credit card details haven't be stolen...

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Generally I'd say there's no problem. You honestly can't be positive it's safe, but a cafe would hardly compromise itself by scamming people like that and cafe's usually don't allow users to install software (so they would find it hard to install something that could record your details).
    And it's the sites that you are giving the information that you'd have to worry about more IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You should be okay, as long as the site you are buying from, etc is secure. Have you got a friend that can help you out, to use their machine instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

You could always try deleting the internet history, cookies etc... And format the hard drive in the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be reluctant tbh, very easy install a key-stroke logger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive bought from net cafe's its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I'd think its very dodgy. Your purring your details out i the open, its just a case of whether or not there's someone there watching you. Anybody who's anyway good with computers can put a key stroke logger on a machine. The security in internet cafes is only a facade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Its a extremely risky thing to do.

To put it in perspective it would be similar to calling out the numbers and your pin code when in a busy shop to the cashier. Yeah most people wouldnt scam you but if there is someone within earshot who has a moral flexability you'd be in trouble.

Personally there is no way I would ever do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pfft...^

If you're buying from respectable sites like amazon etc, it is completely safe. most sites use double firewalls and secure servers.
    If you are in doubt, do what the chimp said and delete cookies etc
    Depending on the software being used in the cafe, it might be poissible for whoever is in charge to see everything thats going on on your screen, so all the HTTPS\firewall\cookie deleting in the world won't stop someone with that being able to take your number if they wanted to.

• Advertisement

Reminded me of when I was interrailing during the summer - had a 3V card with me, and so we were booking accommodation a few days ahead of ourselves. I went to enter in the credit card number and double clicked on the box instead, with the end results of several different credit card numbers coming up.

I did as was said on this thread and cleared all cookies and everything else saved. Didn't go as far as formatting the hard drive though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

A good trick to fool key loggers is to enter the CC number as follows:

assuming your number is 4402 1234 5678 9012

Enter every second number, i.e. 40135791
    The arrow back to the start and fill in the gaps with the remaining numbers...

Usually key loggers don't pick up the arrow key so what is recorded on the key logger is 4013579142246802

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

A good trick to fool key loggers is to enter the CC number as follows:

assuming your number is 4402 1234 5678 9012

Enter every second number, i.e. 40135791
    The arrow back to the start and fill in the gaps with the remaining numbers...

Usually key loggers don't pick up the arrow key so what is recorded on the key logger is 4013579142246802

Excelent advice... But at the end of the day, for €65, I can buy a memory stick and software that I can plug into the back of my local cyber café computer without anyone noticing, and it will record everything and even take screenshots periodically... I can walk casually into the cyber cafe two days kater and maybe three-four ppl may have entered their crdit card numbers...

There's two local cyber cafe's that come to mind, both of them have computers that are not protected by CCTV, and is a pay-by-use, not by membership service....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Pfft...^

If you're buying from respectable sites like amazon etc, it is completely safe. most sites use double firewalls and secure servers.
    If you are in doubt, do what the chimp said and delete cookies etc

You clearly dont have a great understanding of computers . The secruity issue isint with the site you are accessing in this case its the fact that you are on a publicly available network and therefore have no way to determine the level of secruity provided by the network administrator.

The staff or other users in the internet cafe would be capable of grabbing the information as it went over the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I have to say too that I wouldn't do it. many internet cafés have little protection against people installing software and I'm sure some skillful hacker could get around many of the ones that do. That's assuming the owners of the café were honest. Only time I'd do it is with a 3V card.
    Oh and while many keyloggers prob don't pick up arrow keys from a programming perspective it's no more difficult to record an arrow key than any other key so while it's a good idea it's not foolproof.

Oh I don't think it's possible to grab the info after it's left the computer you're on, doesn't the program, IE of firefox, create an encrypted connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

humbert wrote:
    I have to say too that I wouldn't do it. many internet cafés have little protection against people installing software and I'm sure some skillful hacker could get around many of the ones that do. That's assuming the owners of the café were honest. Only time I'd do it is with a 3V card.
    Oh and while many keyloggers prob don't pick up arrow keys from a programming perspective it's no more difficult to record an arrow key than any other key so while it's a good idea it's not foolproof.

Oh I don't think it's possible to grab the info after it's left the computer you're on, doesn't the program, IE of firefox, create an encrypted connection?

I don't understand why you'd arrow back anyway. Use the mouse if your trying to prevent key presses being detected. Sure they could log the mouse aswell but it would be harder to put the picture together from K+M presses than just keyboard presses.

Either that or use the on screen keyboard.

Your not safe though so don't do it. Use anything, even GPRS on your phone to connect and enter your details. You can connect on GPRS to your Pc and use it (get settings from your ISP) even if your pay as you go. Costs a fortune so beware. 2 Euro per 500MB with Meteor anyway,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone here ever been stroked as a result of purchasing from an internet cafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Download Adaware from lavasoft.de

Run it. Clear all the nasties, including 3 trojans, and then some.

Run it again. If there's something there, run it a third time. Still there? Goto a different computer, citing dodgy trojan shít on the 1st PC.

=-=

The Scientist: before it even gets to the site, before it even leaves the room, before the data goes through the NIC... it can be recorded. Most well run cafe's do virus checks daily, or every 3 days, on a scheduled basis. Some, tho, don't. I've gone into safe mode on some of them to get rid of the shít. Me being able to get into Safe Mode isn't good (bypassing their Admin password), but I sometimes can. Then boot back up, and check my money, etc, online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Most internet cafes use a network image every time the machines boot. What I usually do to be safe is to restart the machines which will boot clean from the network image thus removing any keyloggers/BDO that maybe installed. Might sound paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Of course if the staff are dodgy then you are pretty fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It is as safe as the owner or manager or worker at that time is honest. Which is to say that it is a risk. If I had to do it I'd go to somewhere like the fancy one on Grafton St near McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

brim4brim wrote:
    I don't understand why you'd arrow back anyway. Use the mouse if your trying to prevent key presses being detected. Sure they could log the mouse aswell but it would be harder to put the picture together from K+M presses than just keyboard presses.

Yeah even better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wouldn't do it, there could be key loggers and all sorts installed.

John

Advertisement