Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Advice

Options
  • 31-01-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor, and I'm just looking for some advice. I think I've narrowed it down to one of a couple. Basically I'd be using the computer for both watching media files, and playing games (a mix of old and new). I'd only consider a monitor that supports DVI in, since my GFX card is DVI (7600GT to be precise).

Now in light of the media files (some of which are widescreen format, some of which are regular aspect ratio), I've been considering a widescreen monitor, especially with the amount of DVDs that are also widescreen at this stage. I'd also be using it for some work purposes (coding and word processing)

Taking into account the gaming uses, I would want a decent response time out of the monitor, and while I know that new games support extra aspect ratios, I am a bit worried about images possibly appearing either distorted, or not filling the screen in games that do not support these aspect ratios.

I think a 19" monitor would be the best size range for myself, given the space and money, etc. I have.

So effectively I'm looking for people's opinions between the following 2 monitors:

LG 19" LCD L194WT

Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BW

If anyone has any better ideas, or if you think that I would be better to stick with a standard aspect ratio monitor, please post your opinions back here, as I really don't want to spend this kind of money on a monitor, and find that I made a mistake in the one I picked.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Samsung is the best bet of the two as it is recommend as a gaming display in various places.

Widescreen support is getting better in games though you get the occasional new game that doesn't after much moaning it tends to get added into a patch like the recent Rainbow Six Vegas.

In situations where there is no native support head over to the Widescreen gaming forum to see if there is a hack.

If there is no hack then you just you can either live with it stretching (it's not as bad as you think) or disable scaling so the black bars/border appear so it wont stretch the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

8T8 wrote:
    The Samsung is the best bet of the two as it is recommend as a gaming display in various places.

Widescreen support is getting better in games though you get the occasional new game that doesn't after much moaning it tends to get added into a patch like the recent Rainbow Six Vegas.

In situations where there is no native support head over to the Widescreen gaming forum to see if there is a hack.

If there is no hack then you just you can either live with it stretching (it's not as bad as you think) or disable scaling so the black bars/border appear so it wont stretch the image.
    Cool, thanks for that. I'll wait a bit longer and see if anyone offers any more opinions too. (considering the Samsung is out of stock for at least a few days more anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Hmm, I've since seen this monitor coming available on komplett.ie too, and am kind of thinking for the extra €20 might I be as well to go for it.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

I'm in exactly the same situation I was waiting for the Syncmaster 940BW to come back in stock to order, but the 931BW has a much better contrast ratio (same as the LG).

500:1 vs 2000:1

Does the contrast ratio make that much difference?

Decisions decisions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The real contrast ratio of the 931BW is 700:1 whenever you see such high contrast numbers that means they are using the alternate means of measurement called dynamic contrast ratio (inflates the numbers makes it sound good).

The 931BW looks a nice display I'd hold out for it check other sites like Pixmania, Dabs & OcUK as well as they may get it in stock before Komplett..

• Advertisement
Advertisement