Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Bills - Skimming Charge ?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Well I have Magnet for a few months now... have fibre to the home and triple play is offered. Since IPTV stuff is brutal not using that so only have broadband (which is great as its DSL not ADSL) and a phone option that i plan to use only for house alarm and sky connection....

Anyways..

I have yet to get a correct bill from these guys... every bill has this charge for 2 mins 42 seconds of local calls... now this is a small amount but its the principal... as I dont yet own a phone or handset !! :rolleyes:

So what is this charge:

1) Mistake
    2) They are skimming me (and everyone?) hoping as its such a small amount no one notices ?
    3) Callbacks / Line tests done by Magnet - but again why should I be charged

Anyways all seems pretty dodge... I do want to get a phone soon but then I wont be able to tell whether this charge is still being applied or not as its so small...

Again its the principal... anyone else have this/notice this... ?

-A :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Haven't received a bill from them yet as I've only had my connection for a few weeks. And like you, I don't have a phone plugged in so it will jump out at me if I see a call charge! I have Magnet ADSL2+ over an Eircon line though, not FTTH... Might be different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why do you want a phone with Magnet when you probably use your mobile all the time anyway? I don't see the point of a house phone anymore since everyone has their own phone.

Anyway I think it looks bad but I imagine they are just overbilling you by accident or something like that. If they were scamming then they'd only scam people with phone services as then its less likely anyone will notice so I guess the only way they'd be scamming you is if it is a mistake and they thought you had a phone and they scam everyone with a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Howdy,

I have Magnet for Broadband (and currently TV) on the ftth as well. I got a phone from them, but never used it and never got billed, so it's strange that they're charging you. I've found them to be ok in their finance dept. did you give them a call and get it sorted it out? I've had a few billing problems in the past and they've fixed it up straight away.

I use another voip provider for the phone, you're not really limited to magnet for that service so shop around. TV quality is fine, but their selection is brutal for the price they offer so I'll be canceling it one of the days.

The broadband service is pretty class though, no going back to non-symmetrical services now!

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

use a mobile ? hmmmm, 60c peak to irish landline versus 1.3c peak to irish landline, i wonder what i'd use ( thats on 3rd Party VoiP btw, not magnet )

Also, if its FTTH its not ADSL, its not DSL, its FTTH lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have you called Magnet? I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation or refund to be found ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Have called magent 3 times for each bill and they keep credit-ing me back the money but give no explanation for the charge ..

I have no need for a land line... but services I want need a line now so need the option... (Sky+/Home Alarm Dialler)

Yeah it is FTTH.. but Symmetrical.. (nice) funny how the upload speed actually makes a massive difference now yet people are chasing massive download speeds (and getting screwed on the upload)
    -A

many many people have been arguing the requirement of higher upload speeds, and up until about 2 years ago, 128k or 200k was the maximum, unless you went business-grade which was 512k.

even the adsl2+ service on magnet, gives me a 1mbps upload.

Cool.. please do let me know what you get in your first bill ...

Although yes the eircom thing is different...

Trying to find someone in my estate in the same boat...

-Alan

Haven't received a bill from them yet as I've only had my connection for a few weeks. And like you, I don't have a phone plugged in so it will jump out at me if I see a call charge! I have Magnet ADSL2+ over an Eircon line though, not FTTH... Might be different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

JNive wrote:
    many many people have been arguing the requirement of higher upload speeds, and up until about 2 years ago, 128k or 200k was the maximum, unless you went business-grade which was 512k.

What package are you on JNive? I thought the highest on adsl2+ was 512k with Magnet?

aloleary wrote:
    Cool.. please do let me know what you get in your first bill ...

Although yes the eircom thing is different...

Trying to find someone in my estate in the same boat...

-Alan
    Will do Alan!

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:

Lucky b@stard JNive! :p I'm stuck at 330Kbps... On the phone with them right now trying to get it sorted... I really need the full 512Kbps or more!

i was on the 4mbps/512k service but as i said, it was actually giving me 5mbps/1mbps basically.

JNive wrote:
    i was on the 4mbps/512k service but as i said, it was actually giving me 5mbps/1mbps basically.
    I'm on that package also and get over 5Mbps download but nowhere near 512Kbps upload... :(

Just got bill no 6 (says covers December calls but January rental ?)

Anyways same issue.. different amount..

Now they claim that I made 00:03:43 local calls..

:mad:

Guess I just need one more person to see that... problem is I need a bloody phone soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

aloleary wrote:
    Now they claim that I made 00:03:43 local calls..

Hi

could it be that the calls are made by the Sky Box?

have you ask them for a list of the numbers dialed?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Silly question, but can you not ask to get your (alleged) calls itemised?

Its not the sky box .. dont have one... holding off before connecting the house alarm, skybox and phone...

As for getting itemised bill .. thats next step...

is there any 'minimum charge' of any kind, definitely worth asking magnet directly, and if they cant give you a proper reason, then you are owed a refund and an apology lol.

Also, phone calls are always billed in arrears and lines/services ( fixed amounts ) billed in advance

Well they admit its a mistake every month.. and refund me every month.. and say it wont happen again... every month....:rolleyes:

Dunno... stills seems suspicious to me.. :cool:

-A

Guess what... AGAIN THIS MONTH... :eek:

What a complete shower of idiots...

Get same reply .. no on there seems to care... its like i should be happy they are crediting me back for the bill .. and they will "investigate" ...

This month I had 00:19:40 calls to UK, 00:30:02 calls to local lines and 00:01:46 calls to mobile....

again .. I HAVE NO PHONE

Unreal

• Advertisement

hmmmm,
    sounds like someone elses calls are being recorded onto your account.

Id advise you to check your magnet phone number assigned to your modem ( both on your signup letter and by connecting a phone ideally and dialling out to verify the number is correct )

Check the MAC address on the back of the modem also, and then email/call support and ensure that that mac address is registered to that phone number, and both are the ones indicated on the account number printed on your magnet bill, which hopefully again matches the account number on your 'welcome' letter thing.

Something is probably crossed somewhere

Advertisement