Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumb Sucking - How To Stop It???

Options
  • 31-01-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

My 3 year old daughter loves to suck her thumb. This was advantageous when she was an infant as her thumb couldn't fall out of the cot, but now I feel it's time to put a stop to it. Her upper front teeth are slightly forward as a result.

Anyone any suggestions on a method to prevent her sucking her thumb?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

crosstownk wrote:
    Hi All,

My 3 year old daughter loves to suck her thumb. This was advantageous when she was an infant as her thumb couldn't fall out of the cot, but now I feel it's time to put a stop to it. Her upper front teeth are slightly forward as a result.

Anyone any suggestions on a method to prevent her sucking her thumb?

Thanks.

I'm not sure this is a fight worth picking with your daughter; from my experience it will disappear of its own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I stopped when I was 10 after ribbing from my mother. Brings back bad memories.

I also happen to know a rugby player (played for Ireland A's a few times & regularly represents his province) who still sucks his thumb & is quite happy to do so in the dressing room. :)

Your child will give it up when they're good & ready. I wouldn't rush it to be honest.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

On the other hand, perhaps if you get her interested in manicures and hand beauty (without referring to the thumb-sucking, and with lots of fun and praise) she may come to see her hands differently. Get into it yourself, too - do your own hands and nails. Have a girly time together!

Whatever you do, avoid any punitive statements. She's probably a bit sensitive about it - kids know what irritates their parents.

Does she suck her thumb at all times or at particular times?

Is it a bedtime ritual, for instance? Or does she start thumb-sucking when there's a row among adults? Often that kind of oral stimulation can be comforting in stressful circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi,

I have no experience of trying to stop a child suck their thumb but I have heard of people painting that 'nail-biting stop' stuff on the thumb(s). Don't know how you'd feel about that though.

I sucked my own thumb but gave it up when I started school. My Granny told me babies suck their thumbs and I think I just decided myself around then that it was babyish. Your daughter will too when she's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for the advice. I certainly don't want to badger her into stopping nor do I wish to make a serious issue out of it. She sucks it when shes watching TV, when falling to sleep and when bored. Maybe I'll just leave it and see what happens...........

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My daughter sucked her thumb for years.
    She stopped eventually, I'd just leave it.

That nailbiting stuff is delicious. Mm mm.

But you don't want to make the kid feel inferior for doing something that's a comfort to her. Don't get into all that nasty punitive stuff. And yes, she will grow out of it. And if she doesn't, hell, what does it matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ok, that nail biting stuff doesnt work, my mom tried it on me and my sister, and we just scraped it off..

I am 26 and i still suck my thumb from time to time, i did give it up when i was about 14, but started again when i was in college, it was a comfort and when i was tired it would always get me to sleep.

I've never had problems with my teeth, never needed braces, nor did my sister, who is a year younger than me and still sucks her thumb from time to time.

I wouldnt worry about it tbh, she will stop when she's good and ready, and start again if it needs be, and no amount of telling her to stop will make her do otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I know of two people who have had to get braces because of thumb sucking.

In one case the parents had to fork out the money themselves because as far as the health board was concerned it was not medically required.

The other case the child was put on a waiting list and after a year or so waiting the parents paid out the money for the braces themselves.

Braces are very expensive in this country.

I can't suggest how to get your child to stop sucking their thumb but I would advise you have a chat with their dentist to see if it is having an effect on their teeth. Some peoples teeth will protrude naturally without any interference and still require braces so thumb sucking isn't always the cause of this.

A.

Braces are dear, but they're covered under the MED1 form, the reimbursement of medical expenses by the taxman. And you can claim for up to 10 years back, or used to be able to.

On the other hand, they're sore. But they won't be needed until she's about 14, I suppose, and the problem may be long gone and braces not needed by that time.

I suggest that you keep a record of the circumstances of thumb-sucking, and see if you can give her something else to do with her hands when those circumstances occur, if possible. But don't get caught up on it. It'll probably pass. Three's early days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My eldest daughter sucked her thumb from birth until our twins arrived when she was 5 1/2. When she saw her newborn sister sucking her thumb, she said that was a cute thing for a baby to do and then it clicked with her that it was a "baby thing" and she stopped sucking he thumb there and then with no regressing since.

Other people had made such a big deal out of her thumb sucking that I believe she continued to do it in part because of the attention. It never bothered me in the slightest although my wife was worried about the effect it might have on her teeth (which turned out to be unfounded).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Baby's sucking is associated with feelings of security and pleasure and enthusiastically snorfle anything that pops into their mouth including their digits.
    While most kids drop the habit between 2-3 years some suck well into primary school particularly when agitated or tired.
    Problem:
    Depending on its force frequency and style TS can misalign teeth; deform childs palate and impede proper speech development.
    Good News;
    Teeth can make a dramatic recovery if kids quit by age 3-4 years.
    Under 3 years most kids aren't developmentally ready or able to kick the habit so dont try and shame into qutting. Wait till older then give 'goods' about the potential side effects (enlist dentists help if necessary).
    If habit continues limit sucking to certain areas of the house and times of day EG nap time. Give brightly coloured Band Aids to wrap around thumb as a reminder.
    Older children can be fitted with a special applience to discourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

my sister is 32 now and still sucks her thumb every day,she says its such a habit and has tried several times but if she is tired or worried it goes in without her even knowing...
    she sucks it often and has never had problems with her teeth, maybe shes lucky i'm not sure ,i don't know if its right to try and stop her now or let her stop when she is ready, your daughter i mean towney not my sister!

my mam used to put mustard on my sisters thumb...it made no difference she got over the taste and sucked away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

im 24 and would still on occasion suck my thumb i.e. if im really stressed r somethin is really botherin me. this is nothin 2 worry bout. ive perfectly straight teeth and hav never ever needed braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Right so - it appears I've little to worry about. So I'll just leave it. One task I can strike from my list :D

Thanks for the advice folks - appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ItsMoi

I'm using the nailbaiting liquid at the moment to help my 6 year old son stop biting his thumb and it's working well. However it was his idea as he was being teased in school so I wouldn't worry too much about it if your child is only three - there's plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

luckat wrote:
    Braces are dear, but they're covered under the MED1 form, the reimbursement of medical expenses by the taxman. And you can claim for up to 10 years back, or used to be able to.
    Just to be clear - the taxman does not reimburse medical expenses. He does provide tax relief at your higher tax rate for certain medical expenses over and above a qualifying threshold. At best, you will get 41% of the cost of such expenses back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My daughter (now 1 and 9mths) sucked her thumb from very early on. I can see already that her front teeth are pushed out but her speech is excellent.
    My older son (now 3 and 2mths) saw his younger sister doing this and thought it looked like a fabulous idea and took up the habit at the age of 2.5. His teeth and speech are fine. Both suck their thumbs when tired or if they have been given out to so it's very much a comfort thing.
    It bothers me especially given my daughters teeth but I had to have braces and I never sucked my thumb so there was a chance that my children would have problem teeth anyway.
    I'm hoping they'll grow out of it once they start playschool. If they haven't by the age of 6 or 7 and try the nail biting lotion.
    My sister and sister in law both sucked their thumbs until well into their teens and they looked stupid - neither needed braces though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Ooh, wee thumbsuckers look so cute!!! Sorry my answer is not much help as it's something you won't be able to enforce, but I sucked mine till I was 3 when I cut my thumb on a tin can and it was painful to suck. After 3 days of agony, I just stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Artmustang

This could help you stop or lessen the habit. The case is also about a 3 year old girl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement