Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Mobile Phone for Father

• 31-01-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking for a phone for my father.
    The guy can barely used the TV remote, so ease of use is the most important factor.
    What I need is a phone just for phone calls, no sms, no camera, nothing else.
    The flip phones seem to be the easiest as there is no need to lock/unlock the keypad and if he makes a mistake all he has to do is close it and open again to get back to the start

Just wondering were there any good ones on the market.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does it matter what network? You list O2 and Meteor in your tags. My Dad has one of them Sharp 3G ones (black flip ones, can't remember model from Vodafone but not sure if they do them anymore). He can use it and is the sounds the same as your Dad, he uses the mouse with 2 hands. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

I have a nokia 1100 meteor phone. all it does is make calls and sends texts. Sounds perfect for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Ruu
    Preferably Meteor but not that important
    I looked at that Sharp one .... the man has big fat fingers and would have nightmares with those little buttons, also bad eye sight
    Thanks for the suggestion tho
    I can see that this is gooing to be fun

kaizersoze123
    had a look at that phone, the whole locking, unlocking thing is not happening
    thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

This is a bit pricey, but's pretty simple
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=287

Nokias seem to be the most user friendly, at least for my folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

if Meteor isn't a strict nessecity, then look at vodafone.ie/simply. These phones were designed for exactly the scanario you described

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you don't mind Vodafone, like BuffyBot suggested, take a look at Vodafone Simply: www.vodafone.ie/simply

They're specifically designed with a large screen, easy to press buttons and clear menus.

Otherwise, what's he using before? Most Nokia's should be quite easy to use, for example the Nokia 6070 on O2 is a very easy to use phone with nice large buttons and a clear display. It's not expensive either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

NOOOOOOO!!!! Don't touch that Vodafone simply crap...

...I got my dad that phone for christmas, buttons are stubby, only a little button on the side for (un)locking...

...I can't even use them Vodafone Simply phone myself, and for €99, I was expecting more...

Just had to relieve that from myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Think the vodafone VS1 looks good
    Good reviews, reasonable price
    It is about time some phone company figured out that smaller phones with extra features is not all that is needed
    Cheers for all in input especially the phone from eolhc
    Thought it was a joke first
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nevf wrote:
    NOOOOOOO!!!! Don't touch that Vodafone simply crap...

...I got my dad that phone for christmas, buttons are stubby, only a little button on the side for (un)locking...

...I can't even use them Vodafone Simply phone myself, and for €99, I was expecting more...

Just had to relieve that from myself!

Agreed.

Honestly, Nokia 2310. 59euro. Great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try a 6101/6103 if you want a flip phone? Or a Nokia 6030 is a very user friendly phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Take a look at the Nokia 6070 on the O2 network: http://www.o2online.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/O2ProductDisplayView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&phoneId=38004&flowType=SU&productId=38004&newFlag=

A solid, easy to use phone with large buttons and a bright enough screen, without breaking the bank. Also, O2 offers better call rates than Vodafone and in many cases better rates than Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

chrislad wrote:
    Agreed.

Honestly, Nokia 2310. 59euro. Great phone.
    If I could turn back the clock, thats exactly what I'd get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The 2310 has lumpy buttons and is awful to use, imo.

Advertisement