Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget Tyres Q.

Options
  • 31-01-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Question for you folks re. Budget tyres - Its obvious that you can pay pretty much whatever you like for tyres from cheap to reasonable to the downright insane............I'd always go for something with decent grip that won't wear to canvas & unravelling wire in 6 weeks and doesn't call for a re-mortgage.

I've recently bought a car with two Runway tyres fitted on the front and I have to say that in my opinion they have all grip of a 1 day old baby - Disclaimer - this is merely my own personal opinion and I believe I'm entitled to it, any unfavourable comparisons to infants is intended to be non-factual and mildly humourous ;)

The wheels spin on mild acceleration from standing & on reasonable braking - and by reasonable I mean using the brakes to slow the Goddammned car down by a few KPH to take a bend or turn into a junction. The car is skittish on the road and on wet days or in poor traction conditions I'm tempted to hitch to work........I cannot believe that this car is handling this badly - braking is otherwise evenly aligned and tyre pressures are as recommended by manufacturer.

I'm off to buy something that won't make me $hit myself everytime I see a brakelight or a bend :eek:

So has anyone else had similar experiences ??? - this happened me two cars back in 1999 but unfortunatly I cannot remember the Manufacturer of those.

Also if anybody has bought tyres they are happy with I'd love to hear your recommendations.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

I recently bought Hankook tyres for my 307 before I sold it. They are cheap (80ish) and are a reasonable all round tyre. I cannot comment on tyre wear as I only clocked up about 400miles before I sold car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Would be interesting to see what the treadwear rating (if any) on those Runway tyres is. In general the higher the number the harder the tyre and the longer it lasts but the less grip it gives. Treadwear ratings for road cars range from about 100-500. I find that many of the cheap brands have ratings near the top of the scale. They last a high mileage and also may remain on a car for several years through a few owners! Perhaps over time the rubber degrades and becomes even harder than it was when new.

Over the years i have had numerous brands of tyres on my cars. Expensive branded tyres, mid range tyres, really cheap tyres. Found some of the cheap tyres appalling and some OK.

The last while I have been using Champiro GT mid range tyres on both my cars and I think they are a good compromise between grip, price and longevity. The treadwear rating is about 250 on the ones I get.

Be aware that a tyre which performs well on one car may be worse on a different car with different size tyres. I found "Tigar" brand tyres OK in 205/55R16 size but pretty poor in 175/65 R14 size. May not be same spec tyres of course. Have found the Champiro GTs good in both sizes and have gone through a few sets of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I have Sunny tyres on the front of my car and I can't wait until they wear down! In the wet, they are lethal. I'm wheelspinning in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear even with 1quarter throttle! :eek: In the dry they aren't too bad but it doesn't take much provocation to get the traction control light to start flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

fletch wrote:
    I have Sunny tyres on the front of my car and I can't wait until they wear down! In the wet, they are lethal. I'm wheelspinning in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear even with 1quarter throttle! :eek: In the dry they aren't too bad but it doesn't take much provocation to get the traction control light to start flashing.

Yeah - I've had a couple more incidents since and reckon its worth €200 quid not to total my motor 'cause of these pneumatic plastic death-traps......Was just hoping to get a good boards.ie recommendation on the replacements before the weekend - hate going into these people clueless ya know...... :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Raiser, what type of car is it?? What size tyre are you looking for??
    I know a cahp that can supply tyres at very good rates for you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got pirelli dragos for €65 each from hanover tyres which wasnt bad there desgined with rain in mind and we get loads of it in ireland!!

When I bought the alloy wheels I got a budget tyre with them cant remember what they were called but they were pure dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks lads - the car is a 2000 Honda Accord SE Exec. 1.8 VTEC feels quite a big & heavy, suspension is firm enough.........

The current Morgue tyres are on the front - 195/60 15 88H

The Back tyres are Tigar branded - also 195/60 15 88H

The thread depth is good on all four corners & the lack of traction seems to be all in the front when turning/braking - Don't know if the Tigar tyres are contributing to the mayhem - they don't seem to be.....[?]

- In terms of spend - I don't usually pay over the odds for brands and would be happy with a good performance/price sweet-spot......;)

Appreciate the input :)

P.S. Am located in Limerick if anybody has any regional type shopping recommendations.......

Advertisement