Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Shower Info

Options
  • 31-01-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I am looking to install a power shower in an ensuite - I have read all the posts about power showers, but I'm still a bit confused!! :confused:
    At the moment in the ensuite I have a regular mixer shower which I want to replace with a power shower. From what I understand, for a power shower I need to replace the existing mixer shower with a power shower and have a pump connected between the hot water tank and the shower??
    I have read that the pump should cost around €600 - can't find a price for the power shower itself, but I would assume it's around €200?
    Also, with regard the capacity of the hot water tank - the power showers use alot more water than the mixer showers - how long roughly would I have to have the heating system on in the morning to take a 10 - 15minute shower? (I know that this depends on the type of shower and efficiency of the heating system - but if someone can give a rough guide it would be really appreciated!)

Many thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If it's a regular mixer then it may be possible to use existing mixer with a pump. You would need to take both hot & cold supplies into the pump and then back to the mixer unit. A new mixer unit can vary in price anything from €100 to whatever you wish to pay.
    I have a 120litre hot tank which takes approx 25 mins to heat up. With a 3bar pump running fully open it will run for approx 8mins. If you want longer then a larger tank would be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

CDV in blanchardstown sell a monsoon 1.5bar pump for just under €250. plenty of pressure for one shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frogfoot

Highly recomend http://www.showerpumps.ie I got 3 bar pump two years ago and it was best price around and they have great service. I had a problem once and he was around in 2 hrs and replaced pump. You really need to have a 160ltr tank as a minimum (18x42 in) for 2 to 3 showers one after the other. Also if water temp is over 65C it causes major pump problems so you need a thermostatic valve on your heat exchanger or turn your boiler down to 65c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thomas the Tank

Ok admittedly I have no idea what a mixer shower is, what bars are etc but, we had an electrician out recently to do another job for us and we were quizzing him up about power showers. We lived in an apt before which had a pump attached to the water tank and while the power from the shower was fantastic, the thing was noisy as hell and took up a lot of room in the hot press. Anyway our electrician was saying that you can get electric shower units with the pump inbuilt on the unit that is attached to the wall, thereby cutting out the need for the pump attached to the water tank. As far as I remember he said that Mira and Trident do them with Trident being the best for servicing and he said to buy the unit, plus install it, it would cost approx €750-€800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Thomas the Tank

Apologies, I meant to say Triton there not Trident...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

€750-€800 seems a bit pricey. the unit alone(triton t90 si) without installation can be bought for around €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

The T90 is an electric shower, not a power shower.
    We have a Triton Aqua Sensation, it has an internal pump and gives fantastic pressure, they are around 300 euro, you said you have a normal mixer shower, that means you have hot and cold water there, but no electricty, so you will need an electrician to get power to it, they do not need as much power as an electric shower so should be less work.
    800 sounds very steep for a simple job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublin Red

I had a plumber in last night to check out getting a power shower. He suggested that the Monsoon 1.5 pump & fitting would be about €700, which I thought was expensive. I rang CDV(thanks Dec) & the pump is €265, which makes installation really expensive. If I buy a regular power shower (about €100 for the unit), surely it would be cheaper to fit...it mighht be messier with cutting tiles etc - any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Dublin Red wrote:
    If I buy a regular power shower (about €100 for the unit), surely it would be cheaper to fit...it mighht be messier with cutting tiles etc - any thoughts?

Regular Power shower for 100?
    I doubt you would buy a second hand one for that price.
    Are you talking about a normal mixer shower? Power Shower? or Electric Shower?

Advertisement