Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

uk importing

Options
  • 31-01-2007 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

if i purchase a car in the uk that doesent have any road tax, how do i drive it to the ferry? dont the english police have the power to seize any car that does'nt have road tax??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Drive it quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

sohappy wrote:
    if i purchase a car in the uk that doesent have any road tax, how do i drive it to the ferry? dont the english police have the power to seize any car that does'nt have road tax??

I drove my car to the ferry with no road tax.Didn't see police though but I would imagine if they know that you are importing the car to Ireland it should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Drive it quickly?
    Yes break the speed limit that will help you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

If you show proof of the recent purchase and the ferry confirmation/receipt it would go a long way to them not caring. Depends on the cop though, like in any situation involving 'imperial entanglement';) They do have a database they can access from traffic cars or by checking with their cop-shop, and can take the car off you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

sounds like something the tans would do alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Police in the UK are no longer involved in enforcement of road tax. It is now the responsibility of a faceless computer in Swansea that sends out a £80 fine if your car is not taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bond-007 wrote:
    The Police in the UK are no longer involved in enforcement of road tax. It is now the responsibility of a faceless computer in Swansea that sends out a £80 fine if your car is not taxed.

Yup, that's what some of those (lot) or camera's on the Motorway are doing. Too right IMHO, no escape for being a tight twit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

sounds like something the tans would do alright

ahh, nice to see racism is alive and well..

Advertisement