Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis

Options
  • 31-01-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

His first novel and I quite enjoyed it. After reading it I can really see how he developed his lucid style into American Psycho and Glamorama. It creeped me out a lot, especially the overt homo-erotic theme. Looking back I think that it added to the underlying themes and Ellis' general weirdness anyway. What did anyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

It's not too bad. I liked it more than American Psycho but less than Lunar Park.
    I read it first when I was about 11 and thought it was the height of lameness, but re-reading it as an adult was a lot more rewarding. I might read it again actually, it's been a few years.. I can't remember much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

it's quite short and not near as demanding in concentration as Glamorama, I'd definitely read it again. Few more things to get through first though! I still have to read the Rules of Attraction, Lunar Park and the Informers.

I think Bret Easton Ellis said he was going to write a sequel to Less than Zero, the same characters just obviously older and in a modern setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Excellent debut. Kinda makes you feel empty or something when you read it though. I imagine it's best read in one or two sittings to fully apreciate that aspect of it.
    Glamorama is probably my favourite of his novels. Didn't really enjoy Lunar park so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anton17 wrote:
    Excellent debut. Kinda makes you feel empty or something when you read it though.

yeah I found that too, I think he was trying to show how empty and indifferent the characters in the novel were. Glamorama was my favourite too, so fooking crazy and Victor was just the best protagonist ever, the way he was wasted for the whole book:D

Advertisement