Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day

Options
  • 31-01-2007 7:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im curious to what other people think about getting girlfriends (or boyfriends) gifts for valentines day. I always thought the idea behind valentines day was to send cards to people as a "secret admirer" or tell someone how you feel about them - not caring if your going out with them or not, sending chocolates or flowers. But not actually going out and purchasing any gifts? I also thought it was the fellas get the girls the gifts, and it didnt work both ways?

Im curious and always wondered about this. Do you buy your boyfriend gifts for valentines day? What kind - do you go for the basics or as far as proper gifts like on a birthday? The same applies for buying gifts for girlfriends.

Iv debated this with my gf before and she thinks that we both get each other gifts / cards and its not a boy-girl thing. I guess ill go with it, but id be interested to know:- is this whats done in general? Is this a new thing, as iv always given gifts and cards - but only expected a card back.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Originally posted in AH but moved here as I expected.

Its more of a discussion topic, not a suggestion topic. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Id be curious to know what other people do for this too.

Ive been with my bf 4 months, but its long distance and chances are we wont see each other anytime around valentines day. im planning on sending him a card, maybe with some small token in it (though i cant think what). although i kind of have a feeling hes either gonna forget valentines day altogether or not think its important and so i wont get a card.. i dunno. hmm such faith in him..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's a ridiculous holiday, completely goes against the notion of 'romance'. Anything you say, do or give to your other half, while appreciated, will always be tempered with the fact that you're probably only doing it because its Valentines Day. Whereas if you just say/did/gave it out of the blue on a cold day in April, it would be about a bajillion times more romantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Wife and I avoid Valentines day, too many annoying people out in restaurants thinking its romantic to propose and all that baleex. I'll go out another day thank you very much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yeah the gf used to always make a fuss over it until last year when I said enough is enough.

So instead we just made eachother cards and spent the day together (which we would have done anyway but whatever).

A lot better than the various cards/teddies/wilting roses that are given as gifts on Valentines day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Valentines day it the only Holiday I just can't get excited about. I do usually send whoever I'm seeing a card and not sign it even if they will know who it's from. WHen I'm single I still send a card to someone I like. The few cards I've gotten from unknown people in the past have been quite exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭.:Who:.

Valenstine day is the biggest load of commercially built bull**** ever!

People should not need a callendar day of the year to remind them to show how much they appreciate their other half.

(I KNOW ITS SAID ALL THE TIME BUT,) All you are doing is letting corportations profit so you can show how much you appreciate someone and its not just the commercial side of it that annoys me, People become stressed out on what to get their bf/gf, they spends silly amounts of money and for those not in a relationship they feel like outcasts and it can be a little depressing for them.

I dont wanna ramble on, but I myself am happy to know that my other half and I will not be partaking in the crap.

Advertisement