Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me please!

• 31-01-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

ok my laptop i had got stolen and i need to buy a new one asap.
    my old laptop was the sony vaio little tx 10.6" screen.
    there is a new vaio tx out but it has simular tech specs eg 512 ram 1.2 ghz 60gb hd.
    I don't see the point spending €2000+ on a laptop that is pretty much the same as the one i bought 2 years ago.
    my problem is that i want a small one,the sony C series took my fancy (i am into what the laptop looks like to!)...i liked the colours of the c series ones but they are too big for what im looking for, they are 13-14" i think (not sure)
    i use the laptop a a lot, everyday at home and in college and need it to be a light weight. i have looked at the dell xps m1210 and the latitude d420.
    i just am fussy about the look of dells, i think they are knd of brick like.
    I really dont have much knowledge on the "inside" or tech specs of the laptop but i do know i want a fast one, fast processor or whatever and a good bit of memory, for storing movies, songs, software etc etc.
    also i would like the new microsoft vista if it is availiable.
    im am willing to spend between €2000 and €3000.
    i have looked at the dell website, have been into the laptop shop and the sony store.
    if anyone can help me at all i would really greatly appreciate it as i am in a bit of a rush to get a new one.
    thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pc world seem to have a few ultra portable laptops, philips sony and maybe toshiba
    or peats.com
    Here are the top ultra portables on cnet
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4323-6527_7-6509056.html?tag=txt

Sony's are probably the best looking of the windows laptops in my opinion, i had a 3 year old pentium m 1.3 sony and now have a core duo 1.6 dell, the old sony is still more stylish than the new dell and the sony was doing fine for me speedwise till is broke
    I'd like the vaio sz, but probably bigger than youre looking for

Since vistas only out this week for consumers you might have trouble finding alot of machines with vista preinstalled, although dell orders are now with vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you consider an IBM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

I would'nt buy a sony if I were you. I have seen to many problems with them. check out link below and see how many people are having problems

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/?o=0

Spend alot of time on google to see if there is any issues with the sony model you like.

Here is a nice looking laptop with a good spec too.

http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_Ferrari_5005WLMi_HD_Laptop_LX.FR506.104/version-1.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

thanks, im looking at the sony VGN-TX5MN/W little white one but specs are not great, not much better than my old laptop. im also looking at a dell latitude D420 but im just not sure about the dell, its great specs but just doesnt look great. if anyone has any thoughts that would be great, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BostonB wrote:
    Did you consider an IBM

I'd second that although it is quite likely to be pricier per spec than other models. Depends on what you want really. I think the Think Pad X series is the smallest. 12.1" screen or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

:confused: Thanks, looked up ibm but havnt really seen any i like there. i'm now looking at the new sony vaio SZ4 but i'm really not sure because it is 13.3" and i'm not sure will that be too big. does anyone know anything about the asus's? sorry about this and thank you ;)

Advertisement