Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just failed NCT, after FULL service 5 days ago...

Options
  • 31-01-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just have a general query here on what is expected to be covered when you take your car into a garage for "full" servicing.

I own a 2001 VW Golf GTI, and took it into MSL last Friday for a full servicing, just to make sure everything was ok for the NCT test tonight- I also asked them if the car would pass after their servicing and they confirmed this.

The NCT failed for three reasons:

1) side lamp out, not working
    2) one of the tyres was fitted wrong, and should be flipped around
    3) axle and wishbone bushes worn in the rear suspension

Now I'm not the most knowledgable with all this stuff, #1 could be a fuse that blew during the past days but I doubt it- as I had that bulb changed only a month ago.

What I need to know is, after taking your car into a big garage like MSL for a "full" service inspection, should they have had their eyes open for the points I mentioned above?

Many thanks
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a refund in my book, take that NCT fail cert with your itemised bill (hopefully you have one) and tell them to fix what they missed and refund the cost of doing so. Plus the NCT resit charge

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

#1 - they'll tell you it was working when they checked.
    #2 - not really their fault, whoever fitted the tyre is at fault. The fact it was fitted incorrectly by (I assume) a tyre fitting outfit is shocking - take it up with them.
    #3 - they probably should have spotted that (not part of a standard service though).

A car service DOES NOT include running through each and every item that the NCT would check. Most garages do not even have all the necessary equipment (like the emmissions equipment and suspension checking equipment).

The garage might give you the bulb and switch the tyre for you, but no way will they supply and fit - free of charge - suspension components.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a good job MSL service charges are cheap then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A service is no guarantee of an NCT pass. But still,

1. A faulty bulb should have been picked up in a service, although it is possible that it blew in the meantime.

2. The condition of tyres should be checked at every service, even a minor one. A good mechanic would spot that the tyre was fitted incorrectly. (I'm assuming it's directional tyre).

3. A minor service may not include a suspension check,, but a major service should.

If you asked for a pre NCT check then all of the above should have been checked.

Oh. and by the way, MSL are crap. Especially that Pottery Road set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As above I wouldn't expect a car to pass an NCT because it's had a service. The bulb could have failed after the service and I would blame myself for not testing them all beforehand anyway. I would hope that the others would have been spotted during a service but I would guess that they would not always be spotted.

My NCT is coming up soon and the car is going to someone I know who will do a thorough job beforehand.

It's a pity about the suspension as the other two alone would have been a free re-test.

• Advertisement

My NCT is coming up soon and the car is going to someone I know who will do a thorough job beforehand.
    I find the best method is to send the car for the NCT first, then get the car fixed as per the test results. I adopt the "don't fix what ain't broken" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    I find the best method is to send the car for the NCT first, then get the car fixed as per the test results. I adopt the "don't fix what ain't broken" attitude.

I agree. Why look for things during a pre-test that are probably fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

unkel wrote:
    I agree. Why look for things during a pre-test that are probably fine?

Thirded!

And from experience and what I see on the roads, on an 01 Golf I'm surprised it only ate one bulb in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Yeah I have to agree, I think I'll be taking the "NCT first" approach myself in the future!! Especially after the size of that bill, stupid money for 1.5 hours work.

I did actually notice the light, but it was about 15 minutes before the test, so didn't have enough time to get the bulb replaced... I'll deffo make sure I check this stuff through ahead of time next.

As for MSL (and it IS the Pottery Road one! :mad:), I can't say I've been pleased with their service... worst part on top of all this is that my Bluetooth headset that was in the glovebox mysteriously dissappeared after I collected the car.... now everyone there is dodging my phone calls, and I'm positive it was stolen by a member of staff... now that's low! grrrrrr

fixxation wrote:
    now everyone there is dodging my phone calls
    Call them again and pretend you are someone else................then catch them off guard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

MSL in Cork are equally bad if its any consolation and generally haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crosstownk wrote:

Totally agree. That is what I am going to do with mine in 2 months time, let them tell me what needs fixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

crosstownk wrote:
    Normally I would do the same but in this case I'm overdue a service anyway and I want to have a few things checked. The guy in question will be very thorough with what he needs to look at. I probably should have been clearer though as I do agree that unnecessary pre-NCT checks are pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

The bulb is your own fault - You should have an emergency bulb kit in your glovebox. €15 in Halfords - no excuse.

The tyre is your own fault - You should be checking your tyres regularly for wear and sidewall condition. If you'd paid attention, you should have noticed it yourself.

The failure to spot the bush wear on the rear suspension can't be blamed on MSL, not unless you asked for a pre-NCT, which I take it you didn't.

And finally, the missing Bluetooth earpiece is your own fault. Would you have left the ashtray full of €2 coins? No? Well the, you should have taken all your valuables from the car before handing it over. It's common sense.

Don't get me wrong, by all accounts MSL are a pretty poor outfit. But you're expecting very much for very little I'm guessing. How much was the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

My sister had a full service done on her car before her NCT - it failed after it. She brought it back to the garage (main dealer) that did the service to get them to fix the faults. They couldnt fix them because there werent any!! So she brought back the car without having anything done to it, and it passed. (worst thing she didnt say it at the NCT centre). What a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Gil_Dub wrote:
    The bulb is your own fault - You should have an emergency bulb kit in your glovebox. €15 in Halfords - no excuse.

The tyre is your own fault - You should be checking your tyres regularly for wear and sidewall condition. If you'd paid attention, you should have noticed it yourself.

The failure to spot the bush wear on the rear suspension can't be blamed on MSL, not unless you asked for a pre-NCT, which I take it you didn't.

And finally, the missing Bluetooth earpiece is your own fault. Would you have left the ashtray full of €2 coins? No? Well the, you should have taken all your valuables from the car before handing it over. It's common sense.

Don't get me wrong, by all accounts MSL are a pretty poor outfit. But you're expecting very much for very little I'm guessing. How much was the service?

Fair enough, re: the bulb, I just find it hard to believe that it blew in 5 days- but ya I should have checked it more than 15 mins before the test.

The tyre though, I didn't even know it was directional after only buying the car a few months back, however you'd think the garage would've noticed something like this - I DID state I was going for the NCT in a few days and wanted a full servicing and they assured me it would pass "no problem" after their work.

I highly disagree about the theft though, how it is my fault for leaving something in my car while in the hands of what is "suppose to be" a reputable garage. Sure if it was in a car park and broken into, then that's a different story... but it was hidden under paper in the glovebox and they STILL managed to find it and take it. Totally NOT my fault there. I actually did think for a second that I should've taken it with me, and then I decided not to because I didn't think they've even think about taking something from the car when it was in their hands.

The service was close to 300 euro with parts, to me-- that's a little steep for knowing it was going for a NCT and to miss something like bulb and the tyre, and THEN to have the nerve to steal from you on top of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Fair play for accepting the bulb thing - We've all heard the stories of NCT fails for this reason, and very often, the NCT tester will let you swap it out on the spot if you have a kit. Incidentally, this will also save your ass if some nazi in a traffic garda's jacket decides to ticket you for a faulty light, as long as you can show the kit and swap the bulb on the spot. So, a lesson learned....

The tyre - Well, I pay mechanics to do some jobs for me, but checking my tyres is something I do myself, even if they tell me all is okay. Everyone who gets behind the wheel of a car should know the condition of the only thing that keeps that car connected to the road you're doing to drive on, at speed. I know, most people don't, but they really should. You're driving a rather nippy GTI, front wheel drive, with what are quite likely some expensive enough directional tyres. If I were you, I'd be checking the tyres pretty regularly for even wear and just as importantly, I'd have them rotated every once in a while, to balance the wear rate differential between front and back. If you'd been doing this, you'd have picked up on it - Or at least someone swapping the tyres should have.....

I know where you're coming from - It's a shítty deal all in all, particularly the theft thing. Sadly, there are thieving scumbags everywhere, in all walks of life and at all levels in business. The way I see it is that I wouldn't leave anything that belongs to me in a position where the opportunistic thief could take advantage. You did, and while I understand your thinking (and I would probably have done the same), removal of the temptation would have avoided the problem. The way it stands, you have no proof that it was in the car in the first place....You therefore don't have a leg to stand on with MSL.

The service cost is higher than I'd pay, but normal enough for a Golf GTI. I'd suggest you spend a few quid more and go buy a Haynes manual and learn how to carry out very basic, and very routine checks on your car. I know, I know - You pay someone else to do it for you, why should you etc etc. Well, one hour with the Haynes manual running through the pre-MOT checklist would have turned up all 3 'fails' for you.....

€26 for one in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

In defence of the garage, a visual inspection of bushes (which is all they have really) doesnt always show them up as faulty. Some bushes look perfect on a ramp but fail the nct slip test and as a result need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Oops repost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

PauloMN wrote:
    #2 - not really their fault, whoever fitted the tyre is at fault. The fact it was fitted incorrectly by (I assume) a tyre fitting outfit is shocking - take it up with them.
    Actually, I'm always amazed at the amount of young fellas (they are the biggest customer for directional tyres I reckon!!) going around with a directional tyre on backwards. I find that amazing that there are tyre places doing this. Its shocking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement