Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Muzzleloaders / Blackpowder?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

exactly what regulations would dictate if I could or could not build muzzleloaders here? A point to consider as far as regulations go. A muzzleloader cannot be fired unless there is a vent hole drilled forward of the breach plug to ignite the charge. The question would be then is it considered a firearm if the vent hole is never drilled and therefore if I were to build them and not drill a vent hole etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

the guards might look for somthing like a deac permit or for it to be certified as a non firearm(depending on realism)

it would be hard for a guard to know you need the hole or not

its a bit of a grey area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Benhurt1,
    I don't know how this would be viewed by the Garda as it could become a viable firearm with 30 seconds and a drill bit,
    if it was functional in every other way.

but you could make the argument that with some hand tools,
    and the will to do it, you could build one from scratch it a day on two.

That said, I can see why you would like one of these.....................

As it would be very cheap ammo wise!
    :D:D:D

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You'd probably have to hold a full licence for one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Classic quote!

maglite wrote:
    )

it would be hard for a guard to know you need the hole or not

:eek:

Dvs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

exactly what regulations would dictate if I could or could not build muzzleloaders here?
    The same ones that dictate whether or not you could build any other firearm here. (And you can, there's at least one chap making new rifles from scratch in Ireland).

• Advertisement
Advertisement