Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio Monitors?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking that a set of studio monitors might be a little better than my current clunky setup involving a 5.1 system. Are small (consumer orientated) studio monitors loud enough for small parties in place of a large hi-fi? Any suggestions on cheap-ish active ones for use with my laptop and synthesisers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

jimi_t wrote:
    Are small (consumer orientated) studio monitors loud enough for small parties in place of a large hi-fi?

Nope. Studio Monitors are for mixing, not playback...A commercial Hi Fi will naturally colour the sound by boosting mids and highs...you wan't that for playback, you don't want it when mixing. I'm assuming you mean 'party' as in the social event?
    jimi_t wrote:
    Any suggestions on cheap-ish active ones for use with my laptop and synthesisers?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/tascam_vlx5.htm

These got a good right up. Go to Recording/Mixing forum for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

TelePaul wrote:
    Nope. Studio Monitors are for mixing, not playback...A commercial Hi Fi will naturally colour the sound by boosting mids and highs...you wan't that for playback, you don't want it when mixing. I

Ah right, but with EQ'ing it won't sound horribly flat or anything when utilising them watching DVDs or whatever? Due to space constraints I need a catch-all solution, is this the right one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

They sound great (if a tad flat) for playback/DVD's etc... im in a similar situation and use a pair of 8" Samson Resolv's, theyre excellent. I use a PCMCIA TV tuner/computer from all my playback so i just use a software based eq to sort out the flat eq.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

jimi_t wrote:
    Ah right, but with EQ'ing it won't sound horribly flat or anything when utilising them watching DVDs or whatever? Due to space constraints I need a catch-all solution, is this the right one?

Oh right, it sounds like a plan alright!! Does your TV have some eq/sound presets? I think mine does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The relationship between watts and volume in studio monitors and home stereo or 5.1 speakers is the same. The more powerful your system the louder your sound.
    In relation to flatness v colour. This is a bit of a grey area as in reality if you have one set of monitors you are asking them to perfectly perform 2 different functions. One is to be as flat and detailed as possible across the entire frequency spectrum so that you can really hear exactly what you are recording and can fine tune the smallest details in mix that can prove tricky like bass. The other is to behave like a set of speakers that will deliver to your ears a perfect replication of what the vast majority of people will listen to your music on so you hear what they hear. Bob Clearmountain mixes on a set of speakers worth about $50 to perfectly acheive this. Although he probably clicks on to his uber expensive bespoke system for the bass. I'd suggest going for a set of studio monitors and getting to know them really well. If you are also using them for pleasure listening this could happen quite well. It did for me a few years back when my home stereo was also my monitoring. It wasn't perfect but I got to know it really well and my mixes translated quite well into the real world. If you're stuck for space pick up a set of actives. Pay attention to how you mount and position them, it can make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Bob Clearmountain mixes on a set of speakers worth about $50

I thought Clearmountain was the guy who popularised the NS-10 (and created the tissue paper tweeter mod)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I guess he did both! From ma Sound On Sound interview:
    Clearmountain's main monitors in his mixing room are Yamaha NS10s - "I just know them so well that I can really be sure of what's going on with a mix when I use them," - augmented by self-powered KRK E7s - "those let me hear what's happening below 80Hz." He also employs a pair of compact Apple computer speakers. "Those are actually my favourites! I have them placed right next to each other at the side of the room on top of a rack. I don't like speakers that are too hi-fi for mixing, because if the speaker makes everything sound good, you don't work as hard and then the mix is not going to sound very good when you play it back on a lesser speaker. I want something that makes me work hard. I like to switch speakers a lot, as well. The little ones, believe it or not, are actually really good for judging things like bass and bass drum level. If I can't hear those on the little Apple speakers, then I know I've got to re-EQ or change something in the track. They're also good for setting vocal levels. There's just no hype with the little ones - they're so close together that everything is almost mono, and I get a really clear perspective of how the overall thing sounds. Of course, they don't make them any more. Anything that's good, they always stop making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I guess he did both!

A horse of a man!

I actually have that copy of sound on sound at home, from back in the days when I had no gear and coveted everything. SOS was like playboy to me...

Advertisement