Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using my old PC as a router/server

Options
  • 31-01-2007 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I just loaded linux suse on my old PC and plan to throw a few 100mb network cards in it, how do I use this PC as my internet server for my new Dell, I know how to get them to see each other, but will there be a problem gettin the broadband setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

JimmyD wrote:
    I just loaded linux suse on my old PC and plan to throw a few 100mb network cards in it, how do I use this PC as my internet server for my new Dell, I know how to get them to see each other, but will there be a problem gettin the broadband setup?
    I did something similar with Ubuntu, there was a site with ICS, a NAT router script to enable routing between the NICs. Worked very well.

Can also get a firewall if you need, but I did'nt bother, just blocked ports I did'nt use & tested with a few of those security testing sites.

All I had to do was give one nic (public) the broadband address & assign a lan address to the other nic (private) & route between them. Just set the gateway address on the Dell to the address of the private nic.

I guess there must be something similar available for SuSe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

As a learning experience, go for it.
    But bear in mind using an old pc as a router instead of well, a router, will use up a fair bit more power.

I wouldn't recommend it on an ongoing basis for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JimmyD

Yeah I won't be using it as a full time router, just doing it as a learning experience!!! Very sad I know......thanks guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

why do u want to use the pc as a router

what is the benefit of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

coolio_64 wrote:
    why do u want to use the pc as a router

what is the benefit of this
    Read his last post. "Learning experience."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

www.ipcop.org

All you need in one easy to setup ISO.