Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type Of Shelving, Help

• 31-01-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All, Im Wondering What Type Of Timber Is Used To Build Shelving And Work Tops For A Camper Van, It Must Be Light And Strong,and Can It Be Bought In Ireland, North Or South.also Is There Anyone Doing Conversions In Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We have Cherry Veneer which I think is on Plywood, check the http://www.abbeywoods.ie/ website who might have what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On conversion kits, the standard used to be 10 mm poplar plywood with plastic surface coating ...don't know if you can get that here, or if it's even still common at all. These days it's all snazzy looking veneers.

EDIT
    Poplar plywood is fairly light, yet strong. As for the surface veneer, from my personal experience, for a somewhat crowded van conversion where you're constantly hitting off and banging into things, I'd go for function over beauty.

Get a hard wearing surface, rather than a beautiful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 THE SPRINTER

stapeler wrote:
    We have Cherry Veneer which I think is on Plywood, check the http://www.abbeywoods.ie/ website who might have what you're looking for.

THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 3 THE SPRINTER

peasant wrote:
    On conversion kits, the standard used to be 10 mm poplar plywood with plastic surface coating ...don't know if you can get that here, or if it's even still common at all. These days it's all snazzy looking veneers.

EDIT
    Poplar plywood is fairly light, yet strong. As for the surface veneer, from my personal experience, for a somewhat crowded van conversion where you're constantly hitting off and banging into things, I'd go for function over beauty.

Get a hard wearing surface, rather than a beautiful one.

THANKS

Advertisement