Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEP Key

Options
  • 01-02-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

My Laptop is asking for my WEP key. Problem is I seem to have forgotton it .
    I getting a "Limited no no Connectivity " Message
    Is there a way I can get it or reset it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Can't - limited or no connectivity :mad:

Do you not have an Ethernet cable you can use to log in in the mean time? Or another wired computer?

If not, a cable will only set you back a couple of quid and will be a worthwhile investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

plug a network cable into it and depending on the router go to one of the following addresses 192.168.1.1 ; 192.168.1.254 ; 192.168.0.1; 192.168.0.254. try those and see if it works. then look for Wireless settings. copy the WEP key from that section into a .txt file and keep it on a USB keyring or in your My Docs folder. Its easier to copy and paste than type a 28 character key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Most likely you won't find it and it and the key will be reset. I doubt that the key will be displayed in plaintext, even in the router.

• Advertisement

Most likely you won't find it and it and the key will be reset. I doubt that the key will be displayed in plaintext, even in the router.
    Mine is, using a Netgear router. So was another users using a Netopia yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

what sort of router is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

most of time the key is shown in plaintext.... as long as you remember the password to the router of course!

You could try put www.routerlogin.com into your browser. That sometimes works in redirecting you to your routers login page

Ok, I reset the ROuter and it was working perfectly albeit with no security. SO I set up security again. Now I have "limited or no connectivity" AAAHHHGGGG!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Then you must be setting up the security incorrectly. Does your laptop and router support the same level of encryption?

Are you copying / pasting the wep key or writing it out, are you sure the ssid is correct?

• Advertisement

Its a Netopia 3347W.

This is what I did
    Click on "expert mode" and click OK at the warning.
    Click "Configure"
    Click "LAN". Then click "Wireless" on the LAN page.
    Tick "Enable wireless"
    Select WEP-Automatic from the Privacy list.
    Tyoed in 10 character key

HAVE IT SORTED

I was confusing WEP with Passphase

Thanks fot the help lads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

HAVE IT SORTED

I was confusing WEP with Passphase

Thanks fot the help lads

You would be far better off (unless you are using older equipment) to use WPA much more secure and much easier to use.)

Advertisement