Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 datacard

Options
  • 01-02-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got a 3 datacard today and am going to give it whirl for the next two weeks, relatively pleased so far. One thing that does spring to mind and hopefully someone might be able to give me some guidance. How can I monitor the amount of data I've used for the month to date? There is the Huawei windows application, and whilst that gives the amount used in the current session its not listing a total amount for me? I tried on the three website - but there isn't anything obvious there (I was kinda expecting a customer portal - ala voda).

Any way within windows of forcing an automatic cut off if it hits the 3gb limit? (there probably isn't?).

Thanks!

Btw anyone get this card running under any distributation of linux? (Ideally Centos)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Download a program called BitMeter2, it will do everything you want and more...............my Three data card came with some software that gives me a total, still im using bitmeter as its better.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

sweet - will give that a try.

[Still won't mind seeing a figure on the three site before a bill arrives - maybe thats silly?]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

trican wrote:
    Btw anyone get this card running under any distributation of linux? (Ideally Centos)

Tried it yesterday. Works fine as far as I can see - I've no Three coverage though :-(
    All these cards work under linux. The only awkward one is the Vodafone USB one which requires a few steps to disable the virtual CD drive on it. Once that's done, it too works fine.

I used ubuntu, but it should work on any fairly modern distro.
    Use a dialer program, set the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0 (Yes, I know it's PCMCIA. It's a PCMCIA USB bus with a modem on it!), and just use the phonenumber *99# .
    With centOS, you should just set up a dialup connection, and have it come up at boot! If it gives you any grief, post over at Unix.

Good Luck.
    NiallB

NiallB

thanks Niall for that - wil give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Check the three corporate site on the new phone technology coming which will support high speed BB.

http://xseries.three.com/what_xseries.shtml

• Advertisement

Check the three corporate site on the new phone technology coming which will support high speed BB.

http://xseries.three.com/what_xseries.shtml

Yes I'm aware of the Xseries, and had initally though it would be a perfect mobile broadband solution - though i'm not so sure now. Unlimted data is a 1gb limit, which is a fair enough "unlimted data" for a mobile device. But if you want to use it as a mobile data modem (which is what i wanted to do), it'll be tight. On top of this using your xseries phone is against the terms and conditions of the xseries contract (at least in the uk).

and then there is the launch date - Early 2007, which probably means in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

trican wrote:
    sweet - will give that a try.

[Still won't mind seeing a figure on the three site before a bill arrives - maybe thats silly?]

There should be some kind of web interface i agree! i have rang Three a few times to find out how much i have used........they will give you your remaining amount in Kbs......as im sure you know just divide by 1024 and you get the Mb total.

There should be some kind of web interface i agree! i have rang Three a few times to find out how much i have used........

Seems crazy that this information isn't available via the three website, anyway thanks for the clarification, I thought I was going blind when I couldn't find a link on the site.

Advertisement