Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious

Options
  • 01-02-2007 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I dropped in here and I read Keynesian's thread on gay adoption, about how gays can adopt as single parents, and I got kind of curious. Can transexuals adopt? Are they barred, or are there any rules stopping them adopting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I haven't found anything specific, but I did come across this from the Equal Status Acts 2000 to 2004:
    The Court of Justice in PVS held that discrimination against a transsexual constituted discrimination on the grounds of sex.

I wonder do the Catholic Agencies over here have an exemption from this act like they were seeking (unsuccessfully) in Britain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I dropped in here and I read Keynesian's thread on gay adoption, about how gays can adopt as single parents, and I got kind of curious. Can transexuals adopt? Are they barred, or are there any rules stopping them adopting?

As far as I am aware, there is nothing whatsoever stopping either gay or transexuals from adopting. A minor problem that they would be likely to encounter however, is a preference among adoption agencies, and where inter-country adoption is concerned, for children to be placed with married couples.

Domestic adoption in Ireland more-or-less no longer exists (the vast majority (in excess of 98%) of domestic adoption in Ireland now being children being adopted by members of their extended natural family).

Intercountry adoption tends to feature particular countries (such as China, Russia, The Ukraine). These countries have cracked down hard on who they are allowing to adopt their children- Russia currently has a total moratorium in place on foreign adoptions. China has a whole new slew of requirements such as listed in this thread

Theoretical rights often do not translate into changes on the ground......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cardtrick

<snip>

Not a very helpful post at all. I can summarise it by saying that the poster is not all that keen on gay adoption.

Holly

Advertisement