Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Alternatives?

Options
  • 01-02-2007 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently opened a new account with the ESB, about 2 weeks ago. I've only now discovered there are suppliers who offer cheaper rates through the ESB. Kind of like brokers I think.

That's all I know so I'm hoping somebody would be able to advise on who is good, if I can change even though I've just opened an account with ESB and any other info I may need:)

Also, I was told that Night rates only apply to heating, as in, if I have a light on for 24 hours, it will be the same price for the whole time even though I have a night and day meter as the night meter is only used for storage heating or something:confused:

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

There are ? I asked about a year ago and everyone said it was ESB or nothing !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

No competition until July at the earliest when we're supposed to have an all-Ireland market ie, you can buy your lecky from the North.

However, since this was already put back from last year, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know companies like Airtricity exist,they might be worth talknig to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Moonbeam wrote:
    I know companies like Airtricity exist,they might be worth talknig to?

I'm pretty sure they supply to businesses only, not to residential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Apparently they have started accepting residential customers again, but the prices are exactly the same. You may however get some satisfaction from the fact you're voting with your feet and you're using (some) energy from renewable sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah, airtricity were the crowd that were mentioned to me, as well as http://www.energia.ie/

I think they just seem to be business though?

Can anyone answer my question RE night/day units please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sparkey999999

cormie wrote:

Can anyone answer my question RE night/day units please? :)

Depends on what sort of metering you have.

If you have 2 separate meters , one for heating and one for power then its only the heating gets the low price electricity.

If you only have one meter with 2 readouts ( known as dual tariff ) then all electricity used at night will be low cost regardless of its use.

Most new installations (99%) now have dual tariff,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've sent in an enquirey to airtricity and will probably switch over if its easy enough to do so. I'm quite irate with the ESB and their backward ways atm. :(

Advertisement