Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of using lights

Options
  • 01-02-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Copying the title of another post, I would like to remind people to use lights, front and rear, when cycling at night. Not only is a legal requirement ignored by many, but also a good way to be seen in the dark and rainy Irish winter.

Last night, when cycling home, I saw in front of Busaras how an ambulance was taking away a cyclist that just had an accident with a car coming from the Isaac's Butt side, at around 23:45. In a normal situation the car driver would be the one to blame, but since I saw that the bike had no lights at all, that could turn against the cyclist and make him responsible for all hospital costs and damages. Hopefully the injuries won't be too serious, as both the car and the bike didn't seem to have serious damage. I didn't hear anything in the news this morning (maybe a cyclist involved in a road accident is no news anymore).

I think cycle shops should remind their customers that using lights is a legal requirement, or maybe the government should force all new bikes sold to include front and rear lights. It'd only mean an extra 10 EUR on the overall price, and it would definitely help spreading its usage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I agree.

And you cheapos going around without lights are getting us all a bad name :)

For what it's worth: Cat Eye HL-1600RC on the front, and two TL-LD170s on the back (one flashing, one constant).

And, for when I'm feeling particularly disco, reflective yellow ankle straps with built-in flashing red LEDs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It doesn't make any sense not wear lights. Its just second nature for me now, wouldn't leave home without them even if I planned to be back before dark :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The new trend seems to be just wearing those reflective jackets instead of using lights, Gardai should be stopping people for just wearing them imho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

some chap moaned at me because my front light was too bright. It can be pretty dazzling when just charged, but he shouldn't have looked straight into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cabaal wrote:
    The new trend seems to be just wearing those reflective jackets instead of using lights, Gardai should be stopping people for just wearing them imho
    I think that reflective items are better than lights, when vehicles approach from behind. The reflective jacket/vest harnesses the power of the vehicle's lights (considerably more powerful than most bike lights). Often you'll see a reflective jacket well before you see the bike lights.
    During the day the bright colour of these jackets works well.
    And it is better than nothing.

I recently upgraded to Cateye EL-530 up front and Cateye TL-LD1100 at the back. 88 euro for the pair at BikeDock.com.
    I also have a hi-viz cover for my backpack and a reflective band for my helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

From the "Recommended Links" sticky:
    How bright is that light?? - a surprising comparison of bike light brightness and spread.

Edit - compare the Niterider Storm light to any of the CatEye models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

daymobrew wrote:
    I recently upgraded to Cateye EL-530 up front and Cateye TL-LD1100 at the back. 88 euro for the pair at BikeDock.com.
    I saw the 530 and the previous 1000 model as a pair on ebay as a "buy it now", worked out about €56 delivered from the US. I have the previous pair the el 500 and ld1000, both are great, that new set is even better.

I think you are not supposed to have flashing back lights but I set mine to that since it is far more noticeable, and you are more recognised as a cyclist.
    I think cycle shops should remind their customers that using lights is a legal requirement, or maybe the government should force all new bikes sold to include front and rear lights. It'd only mean an extra 10 EUR on the overall price, and it would definitely help spreading its
    I see your point but cheapo lights are pretty crap, thought better than nothing. VAT & duty should be scrapped on stuff any safety stuff like that though, possibly even subsidised. I know some companies have given out free reflective vests in the past, stick their logo on it and it is free advertising for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

here here! If I had a euro for every cyclist I pass with dark clothes and no lights I'd be loaded! its about time guards made an example of some cyclists! I've 3 lights on my bike (1 halogen front and 2 leds to the rear!) so so important!

also as Cabaal said those high vis are usuless ....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Garth Farley

Some Hi-viz jackets can be decent, as they've stripes of proper reflective material that shine well if headlights hit them. But most of them are rubbish, just yellow material.

There should be no excuse for not having lights at night.

I think flashing lights are banned in the UK, but it's not specified in Ireland. I prefer them, you're more recognisable.
    -G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - being an invisible cyclist is just retarded.
    I've got a dynamo-powered front light (that's only on when my bike's moving) and a basic flashing front LED to back it up and a powerful motion-sensing rear pannier light as well as flashing LEDs on the back of the saddle (the pannier light drinks batteries though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I think flashing lights are banned in the UK, but it's not specified in Ireland. I prefer them, you're more recognisable.

Flashing lights aren't legal in Ireland either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn't there a loophole in the UK and probably here that you couldn't have flashing lights on the bike, but you could on the cyclist. (of course the bike needs its own non-flashing lights)

Anyway most of the cheaper LED lights are only bright at certain angles and don't have a wide enough beam to be legal. If a pair of AA batteries last's months then you aren't emitting a lot of light.

I saw a nasty cheap blackspur led head torch, it had 32 LED's which is more like the sort of stuff that you could have on bikes

anyone know if there are LED's that run off Dynamo's - in the sense that they use the full 3 watts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supergrip

King Raam wrote:
    some chap moaned at me because my front light was too bright. It can be pretty dazzling when just charged, but he shouldn't have looked straight into it!
    So it served it's purpose perfectly so - just what you want - he noticed you! :) Of course if it's *way too* bright you might dazzle him into loosing control of the car and crashing into you. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

anyone know if there are LED's that run off Dynamo's - in the sense that they use the full 3 watts ?

http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/173e.htm
    http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/171y-e.htm

supergrip wrote:
    ... Of course if it's *way too* bright you might dazzle him into loosing control of the car and crashing into you. Doh!

it was actually another cyclist ;) I was stopped on my side of the track and he was coming in the opposite direction. I think my wheel must have been turned at an angle to face into him or something

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

King Raam wrote:
    it was actually another cyclist ;) I was stopped on my side of the track and he was coming in the opposite direction. I think my wheel must have been turned at an angle to face into him or something

I wouldn't care if somebody had lights on their bike as bright as a motorbiek light, its them that have to carry the extra weight and sort the power issues.

In the end its safer then not been seen, plus cars might treat you like a motorbike untill they get very close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I was thinking of making my own lights a while back. I got one of these from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/128-LED-GR-BIG-TORCH-FLASHLIGHT-LAMP-Ultra-Bright-Light_W0QQitemZ150086873529QQihZ005QQcategoryZ106987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only about €18 delivered, it pisses on my cateye single LED EL500. It is way brighter than my mates expensive MTB halogen too, and lighter. It floods the light out very nicely, none of those bright and dim ridges you usually get. It takes 6AAs I was thinking I could have them strung up inside the handle bar, and have some connection hanging out so I could just plug it in once a week to charge. Then make a bracket so only the top part needs to be strapped to the light.

Wasn't there a loophole in the UK and probably here that you couldn't have flashing lights on the bike, but you could on the cyclist. (of course the bike needs its own non-flashing lights)

I would agree with that. You can have flashing lights on your body/bag, but your not allowed have flashing lights on your vehicle (bicycle) unless it's an indicator.

Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 Article 29 (lights on bicycles), article 49 (flashing lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Of course, having reflective strips is better, and probably essential at night, but the yellow fabric alone is very useful during the day. As someone who also drives, I know how much the sheer colour of a visi-vest can make a cyclist stand out at from the otherwise undifferentiated visual data forming the periphery of a driver's vision.

Some Hi-viz jackets can be decent, as they've stripes of proper reflective material that shine well if headlights hit them. But most of them are rubbish, just yellow material.

There should be no excuse for not having lights at night.

-G

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I have a strong front and back light on the bike, neither flashing and two smaller keyyring type ones that I put on the back of my backpack and on the front.

I keep the ones on my person in case I come off the bike at night. They are quite bright, although one seems to be broken and sucks up the battery, the bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

@Verb - good point about having lights on you as well as the bike.

I remember buying a bike light in a shop in England a few years back and the guy said something about the law there being a bit dated and strictly requiring you to have a filament bulb, which meant that LEDs didn't comply with the law. Of course, he still sold me an LED light and I haven't been arrested yet.

Does anyone know whether pedals here are supposed to have reflectors on them? I think it's a legal requirement in the UK but I don't know about here. Anyone ever get grief from the Guards about reflectors? (Just curious.)

Does anyone know whether pedals here are supposed to have reflectors on them? I think it's a legal requirement in the UK but I don't know about here. Anyone ever get grief from the Guards about reflectors? (Just curious.)

Your only required to have a rear red reflector on a bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Blowback

King Raam wrote:

Sorry King but there are some lights that blind you even when you are not looking into them (as you can't too bright!!!) like on these cycle paths that take both directions and you have no room to move out of the beam of light.Just point it lower to the ground.If you are a city cycllist it is not as if you need such a bright light to see where you are going.

Blowback wrote:
    Sorry King but there are some lights that blind you even when you are not looking into them (as you can't too bright!!!) like on these cycle paths that take both directions and you have no room to move out of the beam of light.Just point it lower to the ground.If you are a city cycllist it is not as if you need such a bright light to see where you are going.

yeah I take your point, normally I have it pointed down. I bought it for when my commute used to take me down a very dark and fast country road

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember buying a bike light in a shop in England a few years back and the guy said something about the law there being a bit dated and strictly requiring you to have a filament bulb, which meant that LEDs didn't comply with the law. Of course, he still sold me an LED light and I haven't been arrested yet.
    I think in germany you need a certain light output, and maybe that was the same in the UK, of course LEDs have come along a huge way and are very bright ones can be got now (along with crap of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

robfitz wrote:
    Your only required to have a rear red reflector on a bicycle.
    Is this only a reflector and not a light?

Or a reflector must be had in addition to a light?

Either way that is odd, or is is reflector during the day too.

EDIT: sorry just saw your other link
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI189Y1963.html#ZZSI189Y1963A33

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Blowback wrote:
    Just point it lower to the ground.If you are a city cycllist it is not as if you need such a bright light to see where you are going.

Agreed about pointing it lower, when you're on a 2-way cycle-track.

But if you are a city cyclist then you need a very bright light just to stand out against a lot of other background light sources. It's fine being sure the guy on your tail sees you - but what about the lady pulling out from a side road, with a streetlight and other cars behind you - does your tiny LED disappear in the midst of all that illumination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Saw a Garda tonight in the IFSC on a bike, and she had a flashing rear light, so despite of what the law says, the enforcers also agree that a flashing light is probably more visible than a still light... :D

My lights are both dynamo powered. Got the front one in Amsterdam, as well as the dynamo, and the rear one in Germany. It´s a "Standlicht", so it remains on when stopped at traffic lights. I couldn´t find a single shop in Dublin selling dynamo lights, all tried to convince me into the battery operated ones, using the size or lightness as reasoning. What if what I´m looking for is ecology (no used batteries to dispose/buy) and I don´t want to carry all my lights in the pocket each time I lock it, no matter how light they are??

Titiritero wrote:
    Saw a Garda tonight in the IFSC on a bike, and she had a flashing rear light, so despite of what the law says, the enforcers also agree that a flashing light is probably more visible than a still light... :D

In general the Gardaí are exempt from most road traffic regulations.

• Advertisement

I'll wager that the Gardai couldn't give a fiddler's if a cyclist's light flashes or not

Advertisement