Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 8mb VS NTL 6mb

Options
  • 01-02-2007 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Im torn between these two packages. Can anyone offer any advice on who is better to go with?
    I understand Magnet issue a wifi modem/router but I already have my own wifi router that I would prefer to use, is that possible? The dude on the phone didnt seem to really know what he was talking about.
    The main use of the broadband will be xbox live, how do these packages compare?
    Magnet offer a phone but that isnt a big deal for me as I use a skype wifi phone anyway but the landline could be handy.
    Regarding TV is one better than the other? Neither offer HD programming unfortunately but I can live with that.
    Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't go with Magnet if you want TV. Magnets TV service doesn't work very well.

Manget's TV service will use up the 8mb BB by about 4mb, while NTL's 6mb BB is completely separate from the TV service and won't eat into it's bandwidth.

Magnet only offer about 30 TV channels, versus 120+ from NTL. With NTL you can get multiroom or record one channel while watching another, you can't do that with Magnet, they can deliver only one TV stream at a time.

Neither offer HD service at the moment, NTL plan to, but it is very unlikely Magnet will be able to.

FYI NTL now has a phone service also, or you could also go with the cheaper Blueface VoIP service on NTL.

Your wireless router, as long as it isn't an ADSL wireless router (ADSL modem built in) should work fine with NTL.

BTW You also might not get 8m on Magnet, it depends on the quality of your line. On the other hand many people have been having lots of problems with NTL recently and the routing probably isn't suitable for xbox playing at the moment.

So I'd say at the moment go for magnet, but only their BB service, forget about their TV service, get TV off Sky or NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

I dont really watch a huge amount of TV to be honest. Once the 30 channels includes all the bog standard ones Id be happy enough with that and probably get sky movies on top or something. The line in will be a brand new line so Id be hopeful of getting the 8mb speeds.
    Manget's TV service will use up the 8mb BB by about 4mb, while NTL's 6mb BB is completely separate from the TV service and won't eat into it's bandwidth.
    I suspected that might be the case alright. Ive heard that ntl broadnand has a contention of around 24:1? And magnet is 1:1? Would that kinda even it out again or not?

I had pretty much made up my mind to go with NTL but Ive since heard so many complaints about their service and their customer service that Im losing faith before Ive even signed up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I dont really watch a huge amount of TV to be honest. Once the 30 channels includes all the bog standard ones Id be happy enough with that and probably get sky movies on top or something. The line in will be a brand new line so Id be hopeful of getting the 8mb speeds.

It doesn't include sky one.
    I suspected that might be the case alright. Ive heard that ntl broadnand has a contention of around 24:1? And magnet is 1:1? Would that kinda even it out again or not?

No, that won't make any difference, Magnet is only 1:1 as far as the exchange, once on the network you'll be contended. All networks include contention, it is natural in the networking world and shouldn't make any difference to the end user.
    I had pretty much made up my mind to go with NTL but Ive since heard so many complaints about their service and their customer service that Im losing faith before Ive even signed up.

I would go for Magnet for they BB, due to the low latency for xbox and I'd go for NTL or Sky for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bk wrote:

Just on this point I ordered the 8Mb magnet package with TV service. I made sure to ask the sales guy was the 8Mb connection used for the TV and he clearly said no. Now I'm not saying your wrong, you know sales guys will say anything to make the sale most of the time. If it does turn out to be the case I will be less than pleased.

Also they do offer multi-room on Magnet.

kayos wrote:
    Just on this point I ordered the 8Mb magnet package with TV service. I made sure to ask the sales guy was the 8Mb connection used for the TV and he clearly said no. Now I'm not saying your wrong, you know sales guys will say anything to make the sale most of the time. If it does turn out to be the case I will be less than pleased.

I'm sorry to say, but the sales guy most likely lied to you.

One Standard Definition MPEG2 TV stream will use 4mb of bandwidth. Now it is possible that you have very good quality phone line and they can get a total of 12mb from your line, which would mean 4mb for the TV and the remaining 8mb for BB. But from most reports here, that isn't what is happening, most people see their BB speed drop when they use TV.

Also, yes multiroom can work, but each extra stream is going to take 4mb each. So if you have just 2 rooms, it is going to use 8mb of bandwidth and eat into your BB bandwidth. You can absolutely forget about having more then 2 streams.

This is also due to the limitations of IPTV over DSL, there is nothing magic here, it is all physics.

For TV purposes, Sky or NTL are far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

No, that won't make any difference, Magnet is only 1:1 as far as the exchange, once on the network you'll be contended. All networks include contention, it is natural in the networking world and shouldn't make any difference to the end user.

completely untrue and you should read up before stating that.

Magnet is uncontended from DLSAM all the way through their network to their internet transit peers, or at least they maintain that fact.
    They utilise the ESB backbone and effectively increase and decrease their capacity in accordance with bandwidth requirements (again this is what they advertise )

In relation to the TV eating into bandwidth, again untrue, unless your line cant support the 15mb speed that the modem is syncing at. WHich i know is lots of people, but the point is, the service is designed to eat into it, its only as a last resort etc, and its not 8mb maximum given to your modem, All magnet modems connect at 15mb or so regardless of package. The speeds are seperated by the Telsey Modem as required, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 node

kayos wrote:

Let me know if you got it. I ordered 4 weeks ago and just got told they are not selling the TV package anymore...I'm screwed.

if your line supports over 5mbps they will provide it to you.

Best thing would be perhaps to sign up for the 4mbps package, and if your line is good, ask them for the TV portion also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NTL = much better value if you can get it. The Digital TV part of Cable is equivalent to 400 Magnet connections :)

In the future without changing any of the cable system except the headend and your modem, UPC/NTL can even do 30Mps, if your cable TV supports broadband at all.

The TV line up VERY poor on Magnet compared with NTL and if need to watch one channel and record another, or have different channel in different rooms, Magent can only do it with Fibre.

The 8Mbps definately includes the TV, i.e. you get whats left after TV and Phone bandwidth.

it does not definitely include the TV< not if your line can support faster.

All Magnet Entertainment Modems connect at 15mbps to teh exchange at least, mine did, and so did my Smart Aolynk Modem which is lying around here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

JNive wrote:
    completely untrue and you should read up before stating that.

Magnet is uncontended from DLSAM all the way through their network to their internet transit peers, or at least they maintain that fact.
    They utilise the ESB backbone and effectively increase and decrease their capacity in accordance with bandwidth requirements (again this is what they advertise )

In relation to the TV eating into bandwidth, again untrue, unless your line cant support the 15mb speed that the modem is syncing at. WHich i know is lots of people, but the point is, the service is designed to eat into it, its only as a last resort etc, and its not 8mb maximum given to your modem, All magnet modems connect at 15mb or so regardless of package. The speeds are seperated by the Telsey Modem as required, etc.

thats whymagnet isn't going to provide tv to people anymore except FTTH

Advertisement