Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mud Guards ?

Options
  • 01-02-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey everybody,

Recently got back into cycling into work and have decided to buy a new bike. I just have a question regarding mud guards. I was checking out a bike in a shop, it’s a racing style bike and is within my price range. The only thing that stopped me buying it was that the bloke in the shop said it can’t take full mud guards, just those kind of half ones that don’t cover all the wheel.

Basically going around Dublin I’m going to need mudguards, my question is, are those half mudguards any good? I would imagine they aint the best? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I've got an MTB and I use a Crud Race Rear Guard. Maybe someone on here has tried them on a road bike, or knows of a road bike equivalent? The clamp attaches to the seatpost so the fittings and clearance around the actual frame don't really matter. It catches most of the cr*p that comes off Dublin streets, and (unlike some cheaper versions) is rigid enough that it doesn't flap around wildly every time you go over a bump.

There's also one for the front wheel, here, but I've never used that one. I also notice that they have a set for front and back that should work on a road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

drstaunch wrote:
    Hey everybody,

Recently got back into cycling into work and have decided to buy a new bike. I just have a question regarding mud guards. I was checking out a bike in a shop, it’s a racing style bike and is within my price range. The only thing that stopped me buying it was that the bloke in the shop said it can’t take full mud guards, just those kind of half ones that don’t cover all the wheel.

Basically going around Dublin I’m going to need mudguards, my question is, are those half mudguards any good? I would imagine they aint the best? Any advice?

If you are going to race, buy a racer. If not, buy something suitable for the type of cycling you are going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I put a pair of SKS clip-ons on my road bike. They are the half style. I have found myself getting some splashes on my face as water is thrown off the front tyre (in front of the brakes) and blown up.

Membrane has a good point - get a bike that suits your needs. Some of the hybrid bikes will have tyres very similar to racing bikes (therefore quite fast) but will allow for full mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

drstaunch wrote:

They're better than nothing but not as good as full length mudguards. If you're using the bike for commuting (and want to stay clean) you should try to find a frame that has adequate clearance for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, hybrids are the way to go to skoot around town.

I bought a set of dirtmonkey mudguards, i dont know why. The front one is pathetic, it just wraps around the frame of the bike. Any water on the ground is thrown up into my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I agree with above. Get a hybrid. Not quite as fast as a racer but much better at dealing with bumpy roads, takes full length mudguards and gives you a much better cycling position (so you can see over things!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Get a hybrid. Not quite as fast as a racer
    I can go a lot faster on the hybrid, a racer is so jittery to me it disturbs my cycling ability and so I cannot go as fast. Maybe on a nice smooth track I would be faster on a racer, but on Irish roads- not a chance.
    In fact on some routes I am faster on my MTB than hybrid, I can jump up and down kerbs, not worry about potholes etc, so my momentum is not really affected, on a hybrid on many roads I have to slow down since it is unsafe to pull out of the way of potholes & drains with cars coming from behind.

And before people say I shouldnt be going up kerbs, I am not cycling on footpaths, I am obeying the laws and cycling on the horrendous cycletracks which are full of large kerbs and are really only suitable for a MTB unless you know the "route". I cycle to work on a hybrid but that is because I know the route, by route I mean the path to take on the cycletracks, weaving in and out all the way like an obstacle course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The weaving is the fun part!

At least winter is over so hopefully cycling conditions will improve and we wont need mudguards as much (no f**kin chance!).

Advertisement